Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). "Couch" acoustic - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

"Couch" acoustic

What's Hot
Anybody got a fave? 
Your OM? A parlour or other body shape? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GS Mini!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Haha I did have a koa one at one point! 

Have to admit I am dying for a new acoustic and can't decide what I want. Whether a proper high end one or just a "coucher" or both
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1522
    edited November 2022
    Haha I did have a koa one at one point! 

Have to admit I am dying for a new acoustic and can't decide what I want. Whether a proper high end one or just a "coucher" or both
    You should have kept it! One the sofa with my Koa GS Mini at the moment. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    edited November 2022
    My ‘proper’ acoustic is a 30 year old D28 - I’ve owned it longer than any other instrument. 

My ‘sofa’ guitar is a mahogany topped GS Mini. It’s very different from the Martin but that’s part of the appeal and I can take it away if I’m renting a cottage for a few days.

The only criticism is the neck is tiny but I find I soon adjust to it.
  • I think it's why I got rid of GS mini, neck shape / nut width. 

• tomjaxtomjax Frets: 59
     Brook Torridge, 00 size, but a much more rounded and full tone than is typical of a small body guitar.
  • Atkin 47 - a slightly tweaked Gibson LG-2. The sweetest and loudest little thing I've ever heard. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    I don't actually play on the couch. I find that too uncomfortable. I much prefer to play on a stool or a kitchen chair. Best of all, I sit on a footstool by the window looking out at the dam, which is seldom without one or all of our domestic ducks, wrens, robins, Black and Grey Currawongs, a Platypus or sometimes two, various visiting birds which come and go as they please, and the ever-amusing family of flightless Tasmanian Native Hens - they can't fly but by Jimminy Cricket they can run!

At night, I turn on a floodlight and watch the possums, wallabies, quolls, and sometimes a bandicoot. 

Through the day I play whichever guitar takes my fancy. At night, mostly this one:

The Huon Pine top is technically a softwood but is about as hard as mahogany, and it is a fairly small body. This makes it a quiet guitar which I can play late at night without causing domestic strife. It is also, for some reason I've never yet put a finger on, the most playable guitar I have ever owned. It is the only one I have that has never had a setup or any adjustments made: it felt perfect straight from the factory and still does. 

So I sit in front of the window watching the wildlife and playing my Angel. 

(I have it in the back of my mind to order a companion to it, a second "late night guitar", but that's another story for another  day and another thread.)
    1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited November 2022
    Vintage V300MH

Vintage V300 Acoustic Guitar Starter Package Mahogany - Guitar.co.uk

Bench too! Lovely tone for the price. OO size. Everything mahogany except for the strings! I like playing on sofa but can't read music from a stand like that so only play pieces I know off by heart or doodle.
  • DavidR said:
    Vintage V300MH

Bench too! Lovely tone for the price. OO size. Everything mahogany except for the strings! I like playing on sofa but can't read music from a stand like that so only play pieces I know off by heart or doodle.

Does that have a narrow nut width?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited November 2022
    downstairs its either in the dining room or outside in the summer,  and its the TW73  - parlors just are THE lounging guitar
    and here's mine  "on the couch"  =)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    DavidR said:
    Vintage V300MH

Yes @guitarjack66 42mm
    Narrower than my Martin OM28 and my FG, both 44mm. I have big hands, but thin fingers and I can adjust easily. For some reason I seem to be able to manage most acoustics whereas I notice some other on FB say they must have certain neck parameters. If I like a guitar enough, I can usually just play it!
  • DavidR said:
    DavidR said:
    Vintage V300MH

Yes @guitarjack66 42mm
    Narrower than my Martin OM28 and my FG, both 44mm. I have big hands, but thin fingers and I can adjust easily. For some reason I seem to be able to manage most acoustics whereas I notice some other on FB say they must have certain neck parameters. If I like a guitar enough, I can usually just play it!
    Haha! I have the opposite. Small hands but chubby-ish fingers,so favour a wider nut. I am looking at those Paul Brett Statesboro parlour type guitars as my couch player but I again fear they might be narrow too?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    42mm? Strewth! Why don't you just buy a mandolin and be done with it?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 1.75 nut for the win. 

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    edited November 2022
    @Tannin that Cole Clark looks fabulous. I'm not usually a fan of any sort of bling but the mother of pearl inlays on that are very nicely done. The binding is tasteful & the wood used on the sides compliments the top very nicely.  In short, it's a corker! 
    PS ogling it again I just noticed the fancy tuning buttons.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    I think it's why I got rid of GS mini, neck shape / nut width. 

Might be worth trying the Martin Dreadnought Jr or 000C-Jr. Both have 1 3/4" nut widths (and all solid wood, too). MiM, so similar price to the GS Mini, IIRC.

My sofa guitar is the Yamaha CSF-TA - parlour size. Thinner neck, though. (I'm not so fussy about that.)
  • tomjax said:
     Brook Torridge, 00 size, but a much more rounded and full tone than is typical of a small body guitar.
    Another thumbs up for the Torridge, mine is sat next to me at the moment, great guitar for jam sessions as well, it’s like the Telecaster of the acoustic world !!!
  • Checked the shoreline totridge demo and sounds great but as ever, risky to buy without trying and none near me!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Tannin said:
    I don't actually play on the couch. I find that too uncomfortable. I much prefer to play on a stool or a kitchen chair. Best of all, I sit on a footstool by the window looking out at the dam, which is seldom without one or all of our domestic ducks, wrens, robins, Black and Grey Currawongs, a Platypus or sometimes two, various visiting birds which come and go as they please, and the ever-amusing family of flightless Tasmanian Native Hens - they can't fly but by Jimminy Cricket they can run!

At night, I turn on a floodlight and watch the possums, wallabies, quolls, and sometimes a bandicoot. 
    Wow that's just awesome

(the guitar's pretty nice too  =) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Atkin 47 - a slightly tweaked Gibson LG-2. The sweetest and loudest little thing I've ever heard. 

That is as stunning as a youthful,bikini clad,Raquel Welch.
  • I ONLY play on the couch.........!!!

Gibson L-00........... it used to be a KG-11 but she's gone now.

That is as stunning as a youthful,bikini clad,Raquel Welch.
    Yeah, it's fab isn't it? This was Guitar Village's photo - more than enough to convince me to take the plunge remotely. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    Time to buy a tenor guitar!

I have one of these, it's great fun
    Blueridge BR 60T

Tannin said:

I almost always play acoustic on the couch, but use one of these:
    Dynarette support cushion, gets the guitar in the right position. Also useful on a stool or chair, to avoid having to use a footstool, which is a weird position 

There are several cheap alternatives nowadays

The Dynarette is designed to replace the traditional footstool, allowing guitarists to sit more comfortably, and in proper balance while playing. The Dynarette assists players in maintaining good posture while seated, reducing muscle stress and fatigue, therefore allowing more freedom of movement.

Spend less energy holding the guitar, and more energy playing the guitar.

The Dynarette is used all over the world by professionals and enthusiasts for performing and practicing, and the Dynarette is the only instrument support system that cannot damage the finish on your guitar.

If you’d rather focus on playing your guitar than playing with your guitar support, you’ll love the Large Dynarette Guitar Support. There’s nothing to adjust, no suction cups or clamps to stick on your guitar. Just set this comfortable cushion on your leg, set your guitar on the cushion, and you’re ready to play.

Best of all, the Dynarette really captures the feel of holding your guitar in your lap like you’re using a foot stool – but without the physical problems that can develop from foot stool use. Your guitar will still move with you as you move along with the music.

Where you place the cushion on your leg determines the angle of your guitar. It can range from the neck being almost parallel with the ground to the head stock pointing up at a sharp angle.

The Large Dynarette lifts the guitar 5 inches off your leg and is 8 inches wide. A Small Dynarette is also available that lifts the guitar 4 inches.

The tapered design provides a rake of about 10 degrees, a position where the guitar is most stable. However, you can create a flatter or steeper rake by tipping the guitar on the cushion.

A rubber strip along the cushion’s bottom helps increase stability and decrease slippage. To further increase stability, some players like to combine the cushion with the Gitano Guitar Support. The Dynarette comes with a carrying case that can clip on your gig bag for easy transport.     

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    This more than gets the job done. Super dynamic, from whisper to window rattling. Looking pretty good for 84 yrs old, my 1939 Gibson L00.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited December 2022
    I got a "Seagull Excursion" for things like this.

Nice wee guitar. Says solid spruce, was about £300 new. Nice sound, size and shape (grand SG (?)). "natural" finish. 

It has been adopted by my son now though and has a few more dings and stickers on it. 
    edited December 2022
    those support cushions are far too high/bulky and uncomfortable for me personally - ok if you're playing left knee / classical  - but are ant adjustable enough -     I use one of those bean/corn bags / pillows that you put in the microwave for aches/joint problems  -  you can "mould" it into the right support depending on which chair you're in     I often play in my "office / exec" chairs tilted back legs on the table (like an old rocking chair on the veranda !!!)  and these help a treat 

bertie said:
    those support cushions are far too high/bulky and uncomfortable for me personally - ok if you're playing left knee / classical  - but are ant adjustable enough -     I use one of those bean/corn bags / pillows that you put in the microwave for aches/joint problems  -  you can "mould" it into the right support depending on which chair you're in     I often play in my "office / exec" chairs tilted back legs on the table (like an old rocking chair on the veranda !!!)  and these help a treat 

yes whatever works
    on my sofa, I use the Dyanarette with crossed legs for smaller guitars, and uncrossed legs for a dread

yes whatever works
    on my sofa, I use the Dyanarette with crossed legs for smaller guitars, and uncrossed legs for a dread
    I cant cross my legs without getting pins and needles and crushed nuts  (rugby player thighs)