Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I'm in a band again! 2023 UPDATE: We're doing the BOTB again... Ongoing bloggy updates in progress… - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I'm in a band again! 2023 UPDATE: We're doing the BOTB again... Ongoing bloggy updates in progress…

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Amazing! Looks like a great time was had by all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    A work colleague of mine played recently at Law Rocks @ 100 Club - was this the same event? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocet said:
    A work colleague of mine played recently at Law Rocks @ 100 Club - was this the same event? 
    Yeah, same thing. It was in Dubai this week. Miami was last week (or the week before?). They do about 40 cities in total. It's absolutely awesome and raised about 20k for charity too :D 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    exocet said:
    Yeah, same thing. It was in Dubai this week. Miami was last week (or the week before?). They do about 40 cities in total. It's absolutely awesome and raised about 20k for charity too :D 

He did mention that the wining act had a flamboyant singer - small world!
  • exocet said:
    exocet said:

He did mention that the wining act had a flamboyant singer - small world!
    Haha. We have 3!! :D 

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Very impressive.  And that looks like a top venue as well.  Congrats!
  • Brilliant work well done, sounds like an incredible event to be a part of and even better to have achieved something from it
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    Wahay! Well done!

• Thanks guys. It's proper "core memory unlocked" stuff. First contact with these guys was in August, first meeting was early Sept, and we didn't meet the guitar player till mid-late Sept. It's been a lot of work but really huge results from it - our bosses and mega happy, the venue owner has already said he'll happily have us back, and a couple of other guys with contacts in Dubai want to get us into "the circuit" so this will run as far as we want it to. 

I'm just elated. I need to make sure we keep it going now, and I know at least half the band feels the same way.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What an amazing result in such a short time together as a band. HUUUUGE congrats!  :-)
  • Well done Sticky, I've really enjoyed following this thread.  Your singer looks like a right 'character' too :-)
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 238
    Well done to all involved. 

It's great to read something so positive and full of energy - a real change to all the grumbling about fog lights, couriers and Ebay problems.

Good luck to you and the rest of the band
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited November 2022
    Well done Sticky, I've really enjoyed following this thread.  Your singer looks like a right 'character' too :-)
    All three are genuinely amazing and variously led different songs. 

Gemma (in orange, on the left) is phenomenal and the whole thing was her idea so she gets so much credit - she’s the absolute heart of the band and I couldn’t have pushed it through without her. 

Urmika (other girl, green sparkly) has the most bluesy soulful voice you’ve ever heard and had never sung in a band before. 

And Jordan is just a fucking superstar, as you can see. (You wouldn't know he had flu over the weekend and could bare talk till 2 days ago..!)

I had a very good feeling the moment I heard Gemma sing in that first meeting but you never really know until you hit the stage, right?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Huge congratulations on your win, looks like it was an awesome gig.
  • Congratulations matey - incredible to get such positive results so quickly. I've really enjoyed your progress posts along the way too. I hope you get to keep doing it and become superstars!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Congratulations matey - incredible to get such positive results so quickly. I've really enjoyed your progress posts along the way too. I hope you get to keep doing it and become superstars!
    Amen to that!  And we only played 1 song that consistently appears on "OMG I hate this" lists on cover band threads :) 

I did actually get some specific thanks from the band for the setlist, which was mine & Gemma's doing but mostly mine ;)  I had structured it very intentionally to ramp up and up right through the duration. Only dubious thing was kicking off with Ain't No Mountain High Enough simply because that song is hard as shit to play when you can't hear everyone!! 
  • And now I'm starting to get sent more videos I can actually hear the bass really did sound good!! :D :D
  • And now I'm starting to get sent more videos I can actually hear the bass really did sound good!! :D :D
    Share them Sticky - I'd love to see / hear more 
    edited November 2022
    @DrCornelius ;I def will - only have a few <1min snippets so far. Will post the whole lot either compiled or hopefully in whole-song form
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    top job bud,   so are you man with bass in blue shirt,  or man with guitar in red shirt ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Top work, Sticky!
    Build it and they will come, etc.
    Good luck with keeping it going.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited November 2022
    bertie said:
    top job bud, so are you man with bass in blue shirt,  or man with guitar in red shirt ?
    I'm in red, stage left

Depending on the pic/video I'm either playing a sunburst p-bass or a big red ES-330 (which is an awesome stage guitar btw - SO MUCH RED!) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    From what I could see, the crowd enjoyed it, which means it was a great gig!!

Now, get back to the spreadsheets ...
    :D

(Any plans for more gigs?  It would be a shame not to)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Excellent! Top work mate.
  • TTony said:
    From what I could see, the crowd enjoyed it, which means it was a great gig!!

Now, get back to the spreadsheets ...
    :D

(Any plans for more gigs?  It would be a shame not to)
    With any luck we''ll be playing a christmas/year-end show on the roof of our dubai office tower in a few weeks. I think now we've won this thing the company might give us proper budget for a PA! :D 
  • Well done @stickyfiddle. It looks like a fun gig.  :)
  • I have 1.5GB of full-length video. Give me a few hours! 

But I can confirm I didn't fuck up Ain't No Mountain despite not being able to hear a single bloody thing :D :D :D 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Bloody marvellous - sounds like you really enjoyed it 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    bertie said:
    top job bud, so are you man with bass in blue shirt,  or man with guitar in red shirt ?
    I'm in red, stage left

Depending on the pic/video I'm either playing a sunburst p-bass or a big red ES-330 (which is an awesome stage guitar btw - SO MUCH RED!) 
    werent you in  "Four Rooms" ??

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I honestly don’t know who that is! 

I’ve had comparisons to Philip Seymour Hoffman and Colin Firth before, depending on hair length and fatness! :D