Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I'm in a band again! 2023 UPDATE: We're doing the BOTB again... Ongoing bloggy updates in progress… - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I'm in a band again! 2023 UPDATE: We're doing the BOTB again... Ongoing bloggy updates in progress…

What's Hot

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    hywelg said:
    Adey said:
    And when you feck up on stage, you have to keep going until it comes back together.

The audience prob won't know you went wrong. But if you stop, it'll be obvious to them.
    Haha 100%. I usually grin at the drummer whenever I fuck up in previous bands. TBH I've done hundreds of gigs so I'm not worried about me at all - it's the others that scare me because I don't know any of them at all yet. 

Good news is the singer & I have clearly realised that we're both capable and reliable so I think we'll be able to drive it between us. He even suggested it might be a sustainable thing for occasional gigs afterwards, which would be great if it works out.
    So is it a he or a she? It was a she two posts further up. I'd suggest a Commitments number or two if she has the voice. 
    Typo - It’s a girl! 

We have a few other potential vocalists interested so might end up with more than one lead, but no news on that yet. The main core is a 5-piece - me on bass/maybe guitar, a drummer, another guitarist who I’m hoping to trade for bass duties on a song or two, a girl on keys and the singer who had the idea in the first place. 
    It's always difficult finding good rock songs for a female vocalist with a normal female range, hence why I suggested Small Faces, Steve Marriot had a very high voice. And Axl I suppose, what about River Deep Mountain High? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    hywelg said:
    hywelg said:

Typo - It’s a girl! 

We have a few other potential vocalists interested so might end up with more than one lead, but no news on that yet. The main core is a 5-piece - me on bass/maybe guitar, a drummer, another guitarist who I’m hoping to trade for bass duties on a song or two, a girl on keys and the singer who had the idea in the first place. 
    It's always difficult finding good rock songs for a female vocalist with a normal female range, hence why I suggested Small Faces, Steve Marriot had a very high voice. And Axl I suppose, what about River Deep Mountain High? 
    I should add (with all the love in the world..) that I'm also looking for material anyone under 35 has heard of... :P 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    hywelg said:
    Adey said:
    And when you feck up on stage, you have to keep going until it comes back together.

The audience prob won't know you went wrong. But if you stop, it'll be obvious to them.
    Haha 100%. I usually grin at the drummer whenever I fuck up in previous bands. TBH I've done hundreds of gigs so I'm not worried about me at all - it's the others that scare me because I don't know any of them at all yet. 

Good news is the singer & I have clearly realised that we're both capable and reliable so I think we'll be able to drive it between us. He even suggested it might be a sustainable thing for occasional gigs afterwards, which would be great if it works out.
    So is it a he or a she? It was a she two posts further up. I'd suggest a Commitments number or two if she has the voice. 
    Typo - It’s a girl! 

You want to swap to guitar when you have Jackson 5, Otis, etc bass lines to play?
    And Duff too!

Behave yourself! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733
    That is so cool, now persuade them to do something else.  Music is entertainment but it also nurtures the soul, but then, if it's hysterical and everyone is pissed and singing along, then you only need a singer and or bass and drums.  I'd give the rest of my teeth to see some act, or someone that is doing something from the heart on a one stringed cigar box than the incessant cover bands and 'Original' tenor acts that all sounds morosely, in my head, the same.  Midnight Riders Prayer's a good one, sounds like all the Americana crap I like from the '40's through '70's but was released in 2020 and there are a lot of truck drivers these days..  Let's be honest, with the way electric and gas is escalating, there won't be anymore venues anymore and people's hearts will be confused, under duress and with their family.  Big tribute bands which seem to be the nostalgic flavour packing trend of the moment, at the cost of original bands, in the few venues that have survived retirement flat development complaints opposite will disappear and the smaller pisshead variety will disappear into obsolescence, in favour of those small artists that can tell the truth.  At least that's my hope.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    hywelg said:
    Typo - It’s a girl! 

You want to swap to guitar when you have Jackson 5, Otis, etc bass lines to play?
    And Duff too!

Behave yourself! 
    Haha. I’ll be keeping those ones for me :D 

• 4 rehearsals down and it's starting to sound quite good. The guitarist needs a bit of guidance, so as notional bandleader I've given a hefty set of notes to everyone for specific parts to pick out, tones, confidence-boosting encouragement etc (and encouraged them to tell me anything they want me to do differently as well).  Not sure what we do if the guy can't get to where we need him to get to, but we'll see. Hopefully he's amenable to constructive criticism. 

I must say I was a little frustrated when he showed up with the new shiny modelling box but no idea how to use it ("can you turn that reverb off - this song needs to be really crisp?" "I don't know how" :grrr:)
  • Bedroom players always have too much reverb.

If in doubt - turn it all off. See what the room sounds like alone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

+1 that was my exact thought. He's a nice chap and def has chops when it works, but I don't think he's played much with others - everything is covered in reverb and either clean clean or a dimed Marshall sound, while the material absolutely needs something just a little bit hairy. I'm hoping we'll get there - we've picked songs that are fun on bass so it's not even like I can make him play roots & 5ths and I'll pick up the guitar instead! I've told him what we need from him, so we'll see on Saturday! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've broken in a few guitarists.

Even the metal guys wanted to keep their reverb until a quick A/B was done.
    Then the battle to get them to reduce the gain and the bass...

This is why I like 3 piece bands! :D 
  • Oh god yeah there's a lolwis. I wouldn't be too worried except we all have corporate jobs, someone needs to sort 3 or 4-part harmonies for the singers and the pianist was brought up on Bach & Beethoven so we have our work cut out...!
    edited October 2022
    Another update. He's definitely got a little better, so the soul stuff is definitely sounding cleaner and tighter. 

Now I need him to learn how to work a crunchy guitar sound and play confidently with palm muting when needed. He's just so polite and strummy! :D

+1 that was my exact thought. He's a nice chap and def has chops when it works, but I don't think he's played much with others - everything is covered in reverb and either clean clean or a dimed Marshall sound, while the material absolutely needs something just a little bit hairy. I'm hoping we'll get there - we've picked songs that are fun on bass so it's not even like I can make him play roots & 5ths and I'll pick up the guitar instead! I've told him what we need from him, so we'll see on Saturday! 
    I can’t think of a single musical situation where I would choose properly clean cleans from the amp. Having a little bit of hair, winding down the volume on the guitar, yes, but actual clean clean? No thank you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yeah same. If you're not playing jazz you need a smidge of grit/hair/crunch etc. 

I hope I can get him there on the guitar songs - Summer of 69 and All These Things That I've Done. Very similar guitar-vibe-wise. 

We are swapping instruments for one song so far (One Way or Another by Blondie) so there's a possibility we could stay swapped for at least one more. We have time and I'm convinced he has the technical ability. It's just frustrating as I can play that sort of thing with almost no effort. Gah!  

• Gig on Wednesday! 6 songs, 21:30 set, tightly blocked and rehearsed. Final rehearsal tomorrow. 

Starting to get the nerves a little bit now. Not least because I don’t know what’s next and I really need this in my life
  • SOUND CHECK IN 30 MINS. 

I haven’t been this nervous in years. Fuck! 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Hope it all goes well!
    edited November 2022
    Sound check done and sounding good despite a sound man who doesn’t 100% how to run the digital desk with this many inputs. 

Just put on my band uniform for the first time in almost 10 years. Feeling GOOD now. 

Full report later
  • This is the stage… 

This is my set list (and work phone)

and most importantly, these are the pedals 

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212

Just put on my band uniform for the first time in almost 10 years. Feeling GOOD now. 

Uniform?  Do share...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    edited November 2022
    Fuck me, that's impressive, a proper stage, lights, and everything. You just need some scantily-clad groupies, and you're all set!

Break a leg, Sticky!  =)

• Offset said:

Uniform?  Do share...
    Haha nothing fancy. I’m in a shirt over a T-shirt. But it’s band clothes and that’s everything 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    Can I have your autograph now, please?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited November 2022
    It is done. There are many many photos and videos. 

The Adrenalin has gone and I am fairly broken. 

But we fucking rocked it. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WE FUCKING WOON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 6 bands in total, ours formed in fucking September.

We played 22 minutes and 800 people went nuts. 

I am super proud of these talented gang of muppets, somewhat astonished, and fucking tired…
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A couple of quick pics before I've been sent everything by a million people. It looks like this one was right at the end of the set. 

And yes, Jordan (leather jacket in the middle) was on the bar at one point, because of course he was... :D 

• Well done! 
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Awesome :) nice 1!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Time for more of a debrief as I'm supposed to be at work but can't concentrate on 4 hours' sleep and a huge buzz (and quite a bit of tequila)
    • The ES-330 works amazingly well with the soundpost. No bad feedback but still scope for loads of easy "good" feedback. Also Lollars for the win - I had multiple comments on good tone :D (And this on a night with multiple Tele players suffering all sorts of horrible shrieking noises!)
    • The Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb is epic. I was DI-ed to the PA which meant I could just set it for the stage volume I needed for monitoring. Epic setup and super-easy to load out through a packed bar at 1am. 
    • My parts-built MJT P-bass + Origin rig was also DI-ed and apparently sounded great. Downside was with a shit soundguy I literally couldn't hear anything I was playing on bass so was playing entirely on muscle memory and more looking-at-left-hand than I'd have liked. But the best bassist from the other bands said it sounded awesome so I'll take that :) 
    • My nice leather strap went walkies before our set and I had to borrow one (I think I left it on a table after soundcheck, so will keep fingers crossed someone has it!). Need to always pack a spare... 
    • Every single of these guys raised their game SO MUCH on stage - even those who'd never played a gig in their lives. You never know whether people will do that or go to shit but it was awesome. I literally could not be more impressed. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter