Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Could Andrew Ridgeley actually play the guitar? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Could Andrew Ridgeley actually play the guitar?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Philly_Q said:
    https://youtu.be/OnPJkd_7yj8

Despite holding a guitar in the video Ridgley is not credited with playing but this is, I think, one of the tracks that Paul Gray of The Damned played bass on. I just quite like that little known Wham!- The Damned connection. 
    Which becomes a Wham! - The Damned - UFO connection, I like that.
    Make a sentence from those band names.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Philly_Q said:

Despite holding a guitar in the video Ridgley is not credited with playing but this is, I think, one of the tracks that Paul Gray of The Damned played bass on. I just quite like that little known Wham!- The Damned connection. 

My imagination fails me.  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1477
    I really enjoyed the film - very quickly took me back to the era, and the awful fashion crimes so many of us were guilty ! Whilst obviously partisan, they both seemed to be nice people, and very loyal to each other (I was told a while ago, that George set up his publishing financials to ensure Andrew was always taken care of).

On Andrew's guitar playing - he definitely could play, although to what ability is debatable. Probably better than many of us here. And probably worth remembering he was doing this in front of a mass audience - which is no mean feat.

As for the loose punk connections, I reckon both George and Andrew were more interested than they publicly referenced. Firstly they signed to CBS (clearly they wanted to be on the same label as The Clash), secondly they got in Paul Grey from The Damned and thirdly - 

Check out this shot from an early video. That's the logo for Crass on the left - the most vehemently anarcho punk band of the lot...

Right on George !

• tadpoletadpole Frets: 6
    edited August 2023
    Hi I was asking myself this very question and found a clip of Wham live on the Tube. He is definitely playing live and seems pretty competent and comfortable with it.  There is another guitarist but there are 2 parts which Ridgely sticks to for the most part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQnIFz99_oA  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    CaseOfAce said:

YES he can play guitar and his style is barre chords / partial barres up and down the neck using a Nile Rogers funk rhythm
    If accurate that's a huge compliment.

In the video above it does look like he's playing. Hard to tell if it's live or mimed - but even if it's mimed, his hand movements look like he's actually playing so I would say it doesn't really matter. It's usually obvious when someone who can't play is miming.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Andrew Ridgeley's actually had time to become pretty proficient on guitar in the time since this thread started...

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    tadpole said:
    Hi I was asking myself this very question and found a clip of Wham live on the Tube. He is definitely playing live and seems pretty competent and comfortable with it.  There is another guitarist but there are 2 parts which Ridgely sticks to for the most part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQnIFz99_oA  

That actually looks very convincing. I'm pretty sure the band isn't playing live, but he's definitely making all the right moves.
    If you watch the Netflix Wham! documentary and listen to their early demos, he can unquestionably play - even just from the evidence of a few seconds you hear, he’s a very competent rhythm guitarist.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

My imagination fails me.  :/
    Wham! The Damned UFO (connection.)
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    I finally got round to watching the Netflix documentary. Covered some of the same ground as Ridgeley's autobiography, and well worth a watch I thought.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 363
    A colleague of mine played keys for them for a time  (including at the final concert as seen on the documentary) and has commented that he was a perfectly fine guitarist and played live in the shows. 

I think there's often an assumption by fans of "proper" music that people in "pop" music can't play. It's quite often far from the truth!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tadpoletadpole Frets: 6
    Until I found (and posted) the clip from their live performance on the Tube, I honestly thought he could barely play.  Yet in the clip he is easily doubling up the bass line and doing a call and response part with the other guitarist. He looks comfortable, holds the guitar like a seasoned player and is enjoying the show rather than staring at the frets.

I think I may have to watch the docu. My younger self would never have allowed me to do that  =)
    tadpole said:

I think I may have to watch the docu. My younger self would never have allowed me to do that  =)
    They wrote some genuine, all-time classic pop songs and one that probably stands higher than that. It’s not wrong to like them :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    mike257 said:
    A colleague of mine played keys for them for a time  (including at the final concert as seen on the documentary) and has commented that he was a perfectly fine guitarist and played live in the shows. 

Well that seems pretty definitive!

Can we close this thread now? lol 

• lawrevlawrev Frets: 17
    I thought he didn't really play the guitar, just held it in the videos, etc.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    lawrev said:
    But can he really play it? To the accepted standards, that is. Not just bashing out a few simple chords every night like Ed Sheeran...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    I don't know but I've heard he's a very nice man.

A very, very nice man. 
    lawrev said:
    But can he really play it? To the accepted standards, that is. Not just bashing out a few simple chords every night like Ed Sheeran...
    ‘Accepted Standards’ - is there such a thing ?

If I was Ed Sheeran and read it was suggested I couldn’t play to an acceptable standard, I would be…..er….counting my millions !!?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    I refuse to believe he could play to a decent standard mainly because guitar players aren’t good looking -  proper guitarists look like Gary Moore or Roy Buchanan
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    lawrev said:

If I was Ed Sheeran and read it was suggested I couldn’t play to an acceptable standard, I would be…..er….counting my millions !!?

Goodness me. I didn't think my post was too subtle. 

That was my whole point. It was clearly satire. We've also had loads of threads about Mr Sheeran, hence the mention 
    lawrev said:

Goodness me. I didn't think my post was too subtle. 

That was my whole point. It was clearly satire. We've also had loads of threads about Mr Sheeran, hence the mention 

Ah - apologies I didn’t see that !

As for Ed, he’s not particularly my cup of chai, and there are those that see him as quite a manipulative or derivative musician. Hence it would not surprise me to see suggestions of lack of ability.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Ed Sheeran is an excellent guitar player. I dislike almost everything about him and his approach to music but the boy can play and can entertain stadium crowds with just him, an acoustic and a looper. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    soma1975 said:
    Ed Sheeran is an excellent guitar player. I dislike almost everything about him and his approach to music but the boy can play and can entertain stadium crowds with just him, an acoustic and a looper. 
    Most people here could not entertain a stadium crowd with an acoustic, much less manage a looper too  ;)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Quite!! I wouldn’t want one person see me being totally baffled by a looper, let alone a stadium. 
    Most people here could not entertain a stadium crowd with an acoustic.
    I think it's safe to say that is not an overstatement.