Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Could Andrew Ridgeley actually play the guitar? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Could Andrew Ridgeley actually play the guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• JEMJEM Frets: 76
    I believe he's a keen cyclist. He appeared on the coverage of the tour of britain a couple of years ago as some kind of pundit. Everybody, including him, seemed a bit bemused why he was there as he didn't have a great deal to say about professional cycle racing.

Seemed like a nice chap though and was very happy just to be involved.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Dominic said:
    Didn't he open a Chippie or some other take away after Wham?
    He had a bar/restaurant/nightclub in the town I grew up in in the late eighties.
    That must have been somewhere around Rickmansworth area
    I used to know him and George back in the eighties .......I subsequently knew George a lot better and my best friend had a business partnership with him so I would see quite a lot of him and Pepsi and Shirley . I remember going to the opening of Andrew's bar/restaurant  .......his Dad was very involved in it and hosted the evening as I remember 
    Yeah, it was called 93 and was on Rickmansworth High Street.
    What number? 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    Number 7 I believe, it was an in joke you add the name and the number together it makes 100 oh how they laughed...

I could be making this up of course but it tickled me ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    Let's summarise  to the list:
    1. Pop star
    2. Handsome fanny magnet
    3. Tabloid sting fodder
    4. Chippy owner
    5. Husband of Bananarama member
    6. Skier
    7. Surf bum
    8. George Michael's emotional support
    9. F3 racing driver
    10. Bar/restaurant owner

STILL NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO CONFIRM THAT HE COULD ACTUALLY PLAY GUITAR WHICH IS THE TITLE OF THE THREAD!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    1. Pop star
    2. Handsome fanny magnet
    3. Tabloid sting fodder
    4. Chippy owner
    6. Skier
    7. Surf bum
    9. F3 racing driver
    10. Bar/restaurant owner

STILL NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO CONFIRM THAT HE COULD ACTUALLY PLAY GUITAR WHICH IS THE TITLE OF THE THREAD!
    Why I love the forum, right there.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    To be honest, I don't really care...I just thought the video was pretty funny, but it's a less predictable thread that ones where keyboard warriors who ruin "Mr Brightside" and "Mustang Sally" down at the Dog & Duck on Saturday nights (Hands up, that's me!) slag off Chappers and Joe Bonamassa.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Nobody actually knows.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Philly_Q said:
    Didn't he open a Chippie or some other take away after Wham?
    I think that was David Van Day from Dollar. :)
    He did open a Wine Bar in Rickmansworth that did OK for a few years.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Philly_Q said:
    Nobody actually knows.
    He might..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    usedtobe said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Nobody actually knows.
    He might..
    Let's hope he's reading all this nonsense, then.  Maybe he'll tell us.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 411
    Thread resurrection - just watched the Wham! documentary on Netflix (very good BTW).
    From listening to the first demos they recorded at the very start of their career and watching the live clips I think it's safe to say he can play the guitar but he isn't a virtuoso.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    1. Pop star
    2. Handsome fanny magnet
    3. Tabloid sting fodder
    4. Chippy owner
    6. Skier
    7. Surf bum
    9. F3 racing driver
    10. Bar/restaurant owner

Where did it all go wrong???
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mortmort Frets: 709
    From his autobiography “my songwriting aspirations had been given a boost by a generous eighteenth-birthday present from Mum and Dad – a white Fender Telecaster with a black scratch plate and rosewood fretboard. It looked incredible and became a prized possession to rank alongside my record collection. Every night, I’d lovingly pack it away in a case, storing it under my bed because the room was so minute. In the evenings I’d practise over and over, piecing together covers of the songs I loved and trying out interesting chord sequences that Yog and I could work on together.“
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    All this talk about Andrew Ridgely has reminded me of a school eisteddfod (google it if you live outside of Wales) when two guys got up on stage to mime to one of Wham’s hits. I can’t remember who George Michael was, but Andrew Ridgely was played by my friend Aled. The weird thing was, he’d borrowed a bass to do this, not a guitar. He did the whole thing with a massive grin on his face, and he had some amazing dance moves on that stage, that I can still vividly recall to this day. Totally out of character for him, but what a performance!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    longjaw said:
    Thread resurrection - just watched the Wham! documentary on Netflix (very good BTW).
    From listening to the first demos they recorded at the very start of their career and watching the live clips I think it's safe to say he can play the guitar but he isn't a virtuoso.
    Watched the documentary on your recommendation. Indeed, very good. Thanks for the heads up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1268
    According to a friend of mine who worked with them, Andrew was a decent enough Nile Rogers-esque rhythm player. So yes, he can play guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Planning to watch the documentary. Two likeable lads who did very well indeed. The albums were top notch, good musicians including the excellent Deon Estus on bass.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rossirossi Frets: 1658
    edited July 2023
    If girls adore you its not really important to play a guitar .You just have to look good wearing it .Its only important to blokes who arent girl magnets .
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    rossi said:
    If girls adore you it’s not really important to play a guitar .You just have to look good wearing it .Its only important to blokes who arent girl magnets .
    It’s why I never bothered taking lessons 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    I just walk up and down the street carrying an empty gig bag filled with padding, like Joey with the cardboard Porsche in friends
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He probably played the guitar better than most people on this forum is my guess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    Saw the documentary last night ... and to be honest there's not much evidence in there one way or the other as to Ridgeley's ability on guitar - a few seconds of an early demo, some still photographs of him with a guitar on stage (he liked his stratocasters).

There is however a brief clip of him at the Wham Final concert doing the intro to Club Tropicana on guitar on stage at Wembley (8th fret F minor 7 going to an Eb maj 7 at 6th fret if you want to play along!) which leads me to believe that YES he can play guitar and his style is barre chords / partial barres up and down the neck using a Nile Rogers funk rhythm - which was good enough for the role he had in the band running around the stage between the photo shoots.

The heavy lifting was done by a session guy - I'd be surprised if Ridgeley was doing the fiddly funk stuff on Ray of Sunshine.
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    He probably played the guitar better than most people on this forum is my guess.
    and looked better doing it too. Speaking for myself naturally:)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    He probably played the guitar better than most people on this forum is my guess.
    TBH, he had more success playing one - thats for sure. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    The pre Wham! band was The Executive. I’m not sure what Ridgley did in it, but they were variously a four or five piece so he must have been playing something if George was on vocals. Andrew Leaver is credited as the rhythm guitarist in an obituary, he died quite young and the first Wham! album was dedicated to him. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    https://youtu.be/OnPJkd_7yj8

Despite holding a guitar in the video Ridgley is not credited with playing but this is, I think, one of the tracks that Paul Gray of The Damned played bass on. I just quite like that little known Wham!- The Damned connection. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    I watched the documentary while lost in Netflix ads this morning. While I kept an eye open for any playing there really wasn’t much clue. Closest thing would be the discussion of the writing of careless whisper where he talked of having a chord progression he liked and when he showed it to George it matched a melody he had. It suggests that he approached writing on the guitar to me. 
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    ... Wham!-  Damned ... 
    Thank you ma'am.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    https://youtu.be/OnPJkd_7yj8

Despite holding a guitar in the video Ridgley is not credited with playing but this is, I think, one of the tracks that Paul Gray of The Damned played bass on. I just quite like that little known Wham!- The Damned connection. 
    Which becomes a Wham! - The Damned - UFO connection, I like that.
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    I saw him jamming with Allan Holdsworth once in a small jazz club in New York.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter