Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Could Andrew Ridgeley actually play the guitar? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Could Andrew Ridgeley actually play the guitar?

What's Hot
vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
I have to admit that the "Wham!" thread got me thinking of Andrew Ridgeley rather than Roy Lichtenstein and I came back to the question of whether he could actually play guitar or not. A YouTube search led me to this which is alleged to be an isolated track of his guitar from the Wham! "Wembley the Final

Whether it's a cruel joke or not...it's really funny:

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    smirk. A wind up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    Didn't he open a Chippie or some other take away after Wham?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited April 2022
    Don’t think so . We went skiing about 10 years back to a nice place in Canada (Newfoundland). He owned a big ski chalet on the resort and was a very well liked chap according to the people I spoke to.

Not saying you couldn’t afford to buy the place on a regular salary but it certainly didn’t scream ‘hard up’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I don't think anyone has ever really claimed that his role was much more than wingman/emotional support for George Michael, who at that stage lacked the self confidence to be a solo artist.  

Just looking on Wikipedia, he is credited with playing guitar on most Wham! tracks, although there were also many session musicians in attendance.  However, he apparently didn't play guitar on his own solo album:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_Albert

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think that was David Van Day from Dollar. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Don’t think so . We went skiing about 10 years back to a nice place in Canada (Newfoundland). He owned a big ski chalet on the resort and was a very well liked chap according to the people I spoke to.

Not saying you couldn’t afford to buy the place on a regular salary but it certainly didn’t scream ‘hard up’

I've heard from lots of people he's a really nice bloke, also heard, don't know where from though and it was a number of years ago, that he got into the take away business, I thought it was a Chippie, or chain of them he opened after Wham split up.  It was something I heard, so I've no idea whether there is any truth to it, for all I know whoever told me that could have meant that he fronted the cash, or even invested in a Chippie, Chippie franchise.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862

I've heard from lots of people he's a really nice bloke, also heard, don't know where from though and it was a number of years ago, that he got into the take away business, I thought it was a Chippie, or chain of them he opened after Wham split up.  It was something I heard, so I've no idea whether there is any truth to it, for all I know whoever told me that could have meant that he fronted the cash, or even invested in a Chippie, Chippie franchise.
    story I heard was he became a surf bum down in Cornwall, I guess it's entirely possible he opened a surf food type place down there.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• markvmarkv Frets: 449
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't think anyone has ever really claimed that his role was much more than wingman/emotional support for George Michael, who at that stage lacked the self confidence to be a solo artist. 

I think that includes Andrew Ridgeley himself. His book "Wham! George and Me" is surprisingly readable, although probably mostly of interest to people if you were there, to coin a Wham!-related phrase. He basically says that although he was the driving force behind forming the band in the first place, he realised early on that George Michael was the real talent and was happy to support him.

I got the impression from the book that he was happy to have his few years in the limelight and then semi-retire back to semi-normality, basically set for life. Which seems like a fair deal to me!

And that recording is amusing but obviously fake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    I can't remember enough about the book to know what he did afterwards though - sorry!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I think he could play ‘up to a point’..
    Guy from Dollar had a burger van, apparently.. 
    Only thing I’ve really heard of AR since Wham! was the solo album (surprised he didn’t play on it) I’m sure I saw him performing a track from it on tv, which I thought was ‘ok’..
    also read that he lives quietly in a village down south, somewhere.. gets on with the locals, and is well liked..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I have to admit that the "Wham!" thread got me thinking of Andrew Ridgeley rather than Roy Lichtenstein and I came back to the question of whether he could actually play guitar or not. A YouTube search led me to this which is alleged to be an isolated track of his guitar from the Wham! "Wembley the Final

Whether it's a cruel joke or not...it's really funny:

Haven’t played this yet, but Page at Knebworth probably doesn’t sound a lot better..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I think the above comments about him being a support to George are largely right. 

I think in interviews George remarked that Andrew was actually the one with the confidence and charisma to start with. George sort of grew into the role and then he really took off.

I actually think AR comes across really well. It must turn things upside down for you to have such fame and fortune so early, but he's clearly made peace with the world.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2022
    VimFuego said:

story I heard was he became a surf bum down in Cornwall, I guess it's entirely possible he opened a surf food type place down there.

Like I said I heard it was a Chippie, and that it was based in the Nort or North East of England.  I know Ray Dorset of Mungo Jerry has a restraunt, and is very actively involved in it, bumped in to him a few times at it and around it, he's also an extremely nice man.  I used to live near Ronnie Corbett's holiday home, he used to have an amazing restraunt near a town called Aberlady, absolutely amazing food, though Ronnie Corbett didn't have much to do with the place besides owning it, can't remember what it was called, but the ex and I used to eat there a lot.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1477
    I believe (though may be wrong) that George remained loyal to his childhood friend and support - to the point of paying Andrew a regular percentage of his Wham publishing royalties (albeit Andrew also got quite a few co-writer credits).

Have always thought AR was very cool - as if he had nothing to prove...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    Philly_Q said:
    Yeah but his chippie had 4 wheels and and engine at the front. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    edited April 2022
    He was a pop star.  A good looking bloke for the girls to scream at. Especially if you back to the 60s, what percentage of parts on records by pop groups were played by session players?  I imagine most of the guys in the actual bands could play to some extent, just not well enough to get a good recording down quickly.  Not unusual for backing vocals etc to be done by session people either.

So even if he couldn't play very well it would hardly make him an anomaly.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Devil#20 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Yeah but his chippie had 4 wheels and and engine at the front. 
    I know, Burger Van Day...  but I didn't feel like going into detail, it was close enough.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BorkBork Frets: 231
    Philly_Q said:

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Didn't he get into motor racing and green activism?  Not at the same time obviously.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    slacker said:
    Didn't he get into motor racing and green activism?  Not at the same time obviously.
    I remember he used to crash a lot. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I saw an interview where he had some kind of surf / mountain bike shop in Cornwall. He has a writing credit on Careless Whisper so can quite easily live on that alone I would have thought
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I heard he founded the glass-blowing school that Carol Smillie and Jennifer Powell now own and run. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    edited April 2022
    He must have made fair bit of dough from Wham! Fair play to him. Wham!'s Greatest Hits is nothing to be sniffed at. All crackers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    edited April 2022
    slacker said:
    He moved to Monaco and had a shot at Formula 3, then he moved to America and tried acting.  Neither ventures particularly successful.
    Danny1969 said:
    I He has a writing credit on Careless Whisper so can quite easily live on that alone I would have thought

Reconned to have pulled in c£10m from Wham! Net worth today, c£18m (couldn't find any figures that relate to what, if any, percentage of this came from a suppossed chippy).

Genral consensus seems to be that he's a nice chap who's content with his lot - so good luck to him.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Im in the "more emotional support/wingman/best mate"  and moved to Cornwall  camp
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    I'm guessing he can probably play basic chords etc.. the only way to confirm would be to listen to the first album (Wham Rap etc..) / live bootlegs when they were still raw...  and even then any heavy lifting would have been done by session guys?
    I guess it was never a requirement of his job - guitar as prop etc..having pearly white teeth and good hair was probably more important to the overall package!  =)

Lives a quiet life Cornwall now with one of Bananarama?
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    The earliest version of Wham! was as The Executive and they were a sort of 2Tone type band. Turned down by Go Feet records, which was a subsidiary of Chrysalis set up for The Beat and artists signed by The Beat. So the late Ranking Roger had the claim to fame of being the person who turned down signing George Michael to a record label. 

CaseOfAce said:
    I'm guessing he can probably play basic chords etc.. the only way to confirm would be to listen to the first album (Wham Rap etc..) / live bootlegs when they were still raw...  and even then any heavy lifting would have been done by session guys?
    I guess it was never a requirement of his job - guitar as prop etc..having pearly white teeth and good hair was probably more important to the overall package!  =)

Lives a quiet life Cornwall now with one of Bananarama?
    Split up with the Bananarama person apparently. Although shacking up with a member of Bananarama that was surely living the dream. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    No, definitely Elvis
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 565
    I am no wham fan by any stretch but from what I have seen his role is much underplayed. There are probably thousands of people around with the talent to make big but never do, what is much rarer is that combination of everything needed to make it. I think AR provided skills that GM didn’t have and that the combination worked incredibly well for them initially. I think being mates helped immensely. That he can make enough to then go on and have a chilled out life shows to me that actually he was the one that came out the best of them in the end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 863
    He had a bar/restaurant/nightclub in the town I grew up in in the late eighties.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/