Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What films have you watched recently? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Hobo With a Shotgun - brilliant. Rutger Hauer is the hobo wiht a shotgun and he goes postal. Wonderfully ridiculous. 11/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Offset said:
    munckee said:
    @Offset missus munckee loves nothing more than movies with brutal gangland violence, the nastier the better.  So I mentioned I’d heard good things about Bull - it was a hit she loved it. 

The budget and timescale put many Hollywood films to shame. Great acting and interesting story, good pace throughout. 

I second your 8/10. 
    I'm reliably informed that Kill List (also starring Neil Maskell) is even better and in a similar vein to Bull.  On my list.
    Ok, Kill List starts off as a gangster movie but don’t expect it to stay like that, as halfway through it drifts off into horror territory. It’s a very odd film, some people rave about it but I’m still not sure if I actually like it or not. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2023
    Everything Everywhere All At Once

Sci-fi/drama with Michelle Yeoh. I’ve heard very mixed reports about this so I didn’t know quite what to expect… but it was stranger and better than I guessed, and surprisingly compelling even though once or twice I did think “what *is* this all about?!”. The ‘message’ isn’t as heavy-handed as some of the negative reviews imply either. Jamie Lee Curtis clearly had an absolute blast as well .

If you can get your head around it, brilliant - although afterwards, MrsICBM did say she wondered “why are we watching this?” more than once . (But thought it was great, in the end.)

9/10

(Streaming, whatever network they have on holiday)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Red Notice. Netflix. Ryan Reynolds, Dwayne Johnson and Gal Gadot in a comedy crime caper. It’s totally unbelievable tosh, a mix of Indiana Jones and Topkapi with Reynolds doing his motormouth act from Deadpool. I sussed the plot twist about 10 minutes from the reveal so it’s not half as clever a script as it makes out. It’s ok, has some funny bits and Gadot is nice to look at, but I found RR to be really annoying after a while and you could drive a bus through the plot holes. 3.5/10. 

There’s going to be a sequel apparently, not sure I’d bother. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    edited August 2023
    Heart of Stone.  Netflix
    Imagine a world where the ludicrous exploits in say the Fast and Furious films was normal.
    In that world what would a film full of what they would consider ludicrous plots and technology look like?
    Wonder no more as Gal Gadot shows us in Heart of Stone. Tech, amazing spies, stupid stunts, hackers, end of the world plots... its all there.
    By the way, her character's name is Stone. Even a lazy title. The film was doomed from the start.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    The Commitments (1991) - 9/10
    I'd been meaning to watch this for literally years. I'm very familiar with the music but not the plot beyond the very broad strokes. It almost feels like an "Irish Blues Brothers" and it's very nearly as good. Highly enjoyable and likely to become a comfort food movie for me going forward I think :) 

And I just read that Andrew Strong (lead singer) was frickin 16 when it was filmed. That's astonishing!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Offset said:
    Dark City (1998) - Prime

Thanks for the reminder. I don't remember a thing about it other than the fact that I enjoyed it when I saw it decades ago. I do have a recollection that Kiefer Sutherland overacted terribly, but I don't think it detracted.

Must see again!
    I'd been meaning to watch this for literally years. I'm very familiar with the music but not the plot beyond the very broad strokes. It almost feels like an "Irish Blues Brothers" and it's very nearly as good. Highly enjoyable and likely to become a comfort food movie for me going forward I think :) 

And I just read that Andrew Strong (lead singer) was frickin 16 when it was filmed. That's astonishing!! 
    Saw it at the cinema and loved it, I should watch it again. Strong was a superb singer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Watched Aliens with my daughter, first time I'd seen it in a great many years. Still holds up pretty well, although some terrible greenscreen shots with spaceships! A good action film I guess but for me not a patch on the suspense of Alien.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Watched the new-ish Ghostbusters thing (Netflix). Very slow to start, no proper drama and not very witty. 3/10
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    goldtop said:
    Watched the new-ish Ghostbusters thing (Netflix). Very slow to start, no proper drama and not very witty. 3/10
    I started and gave up!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Offset said:
    goldtop said:
    I started and gave up!
    2016 or Afterlife? 

Accepting that *obviously* none can come close to the original... 2016 is turgid shite. Afterlife is pretty good
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Offset said:
    goldtop said:
    I started and gave up!
    2016 or Afterlife? 

Accepting that *obviously* none can come close to the original... 2016 is turgid shite. Afterlife is pretty good
    Afterlife.  Just couldn't get into it and couldn't be bothered to persevere.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764
    goldtop said:

I was expecting great things after the reviews, but was massively disappointed. The pacing is sooo slow. Should have been an hour and a half rather than two. Too much fan service and just felt like a reboot of the original with the main characters replaced with kids and the charm completely removed. Still love Carrie Coon though which, for me, was the only saving grace 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    goldtop said:
    I started and gave up!
    2016 or Afterlife? 

Afterlife.  Just couldn't get into it and couldn't be bothered to persevere.
    If only I'd had your approach, I could have watched ... well, anything else.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    Offset said:
    Bird Box Barcelona (2023, Netflix)

I gave up after 40 minutes.  Boring drivel - avoid.
    Wonderful review, I love the use of the word drivel. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited August 2023
    In the house (French) - second time seeing it, clever, psychological and funny 8/10

No hard feelings - amusing, JL is great, script not so funny. 6/10

A woman under the influence - gave up halfway, too long, script seems very much to be saying something but very subjectively. 

MI: Dead reckoning - all stock stuff but fun. Spoiler:
    However - 2 points for killing off Rebecca Ferguson's character and replacing her with a younger woman, unnecessary and stupid.
    6/10

The Handmaiden - clever, provoking 7/10

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited August 2023
    MI: Dead reckoning - all stock stuff but fun. However - [spoiler deleted]
    @Winny_Pooh ;;;A spoiler warning might have been nice there.... 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203

Yes, excellent film. I lived with a bunch of Dubliners, when it was released, and one had been in school with one of the girls. The trilogy of books that about the Rabbit family that includes The Commitments is very good, and I seem to remember the film of The Van being watchable. (With Colm Meaney, maybe?)  Roddy Doyle, the author, is often very amusing on social media.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Women Talking

Psychological drama with Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley, Ben Whishaw and Frances McDormand - which made me think it was going to be very good. It's based on real events concerning the abuse of women and girls in a closed religious community, but somehow it seemed contrived and stagey, despite the quality of the actors - I just couldn't get into it, I found it tedious and forced. The stark nearly-black-and-white photography doesn't help either, it detracts from rather than enhances the realism. I know it seems to have got a lot of critical praise, but I ended up giving up about halfway through with no particular desire to revisit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Prisoners - 9/10
    Second time seeing this fantastic movie. Hugh Jackman (and neighbours) daughters go missing and he isn't satisfied with the police's (Jake Gyllenhaal) efforts to catch the person responsible. Superbly acted, especially by Gyllenhaal, always second guessing yourself, very very good. On Netflix currently.
  • Philly_Q said:
    MI: Dead reckoning - all stock stuff but fun. However - 2 points for killing off Rebecca Ferguson's character and replacing her with a younger woman, unnecessary and stupid. 6/10

@Winny_Pooh ;A spoiler warning might have been nice there.... 
    Agreed, not cool.

Can we set a general principle not to use spoilers (without the tags*) less than 6mos after the film is released?

*I appreciate that some might not know how to do that, but basically in the post creation/editing box you highlight the text that you want to mask, then click the 'format' button (funny-looking backwards P I thingy), then choose 'Spoiler' from the list - the forum software will do the rest, e.g.:
    Spoilerific
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:

Agreed, not cool.

Can we set a general principle not to use spoilers (without the tags*) less than 6mos after the film is released?

*I appreciate that some might not know how to do that, but basically in the post creation/editing box you highlight the text that you want to mask, then click the 'format' button (funny-looking backwards P I thingy), then choose 'Spoiler' from the list - the forum software will do the rest, e.g.:
    Spoilerific

cheers for the instructions, now done :)
    ICBM said:
    Women Talking

Psychological drama with Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley, Ben Whishaw and Frances McDormand - which made me think it was going to be very good. It's based on real events concerning the abuse of women and girls in a closed religious community, but somehow it seemed contrived and stagey, despite the quality of the actors - I just couldn't get into it, I found it tedious and forced. The stark nearly-black-and-white photography doesn't help either, it detracts from rather than enhances the realism. I know it seems to have got a lot of critical praise, but I ended up giving up about halfway through with no particular desire to revisit.

I found this overrated too, it's obvious when you watch it that it's a play adapted directly for the screen without any changes, makes it quite leaden.
    cheers for the instructions, now done :)
    :)  I've removed it from my quote too, inserting a spoiler within the quote didn't seem to work.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    The Founder

Film about how Ray Kroc took McDonalds from a small family run burger stand in San Bernardino to a multinational empire it is today. 

Michael Keaton plays Kroc first as a struggling salesmen and then as an increasingly ruthless businessman whose values clash with the McDonald brothers way of running the business. 

Quite well done although it felt a bit long and I was disappointed it didn’t feature Knopfler’s Boom, Like That. 

7.5/10 on Netflix

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Otto  - Tom Hanks doing his best Tom Hanks impression. Nice gentle Sunday afternoon viewing and quite moving in parts. 8/10 
  • T.I.M. Couple has a robot servant in their home. Staggeringly unoriginal and no need to tell you what happens. Terrible dialogue and some splendidly bad acting.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    bobblehat said:
    Otto  - Tom Hanks doing his best Tom Hanks impression. Nice gentle Sunday afternoon viewing and quite moving in parts. 8/10 
    I've seen this pop up on Sky a few times, and ignored it on the basis that it's a Tom Hanks movie. Having just read your description and a couple of short reviews, I can still see no reason to spend any time watching this film. I don't get Tom Hanks as a star. Who goes to the cinema to watch a Tom Hanks film?

As a counter:

Murphy's War 1971 - Talking Pics

Generally a pretty terrible war film about Peter O'Toole trying to sink a U-boat that sank his own ship and machine gunned the crew in the water. It's slow, ponderous and very over-acted. But O'Toole genuinely had a quality on screen that made him fascinating, even with a terrible Irish accent and rolling his eyes like a parody drunk.
    Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Netflix)

Approximately 35 years after the events of the first movie, the family of one of the original Ghostbusters inherit a run-down old house in rural Oklahoma.... where strange things are about to start happening.

Wow, that was... dull.  After a first hour in which very little happens, a bunch of ghosts and characters from the original Ghostbusters are transported to the countryside for what's basically a re-run, only without the excitement or any of the laughs.  The old characters look like they don't really want to be there, the new characters are mostly just boring... even Paul Rudd, who can usually lift a poor film, is given nothing to do here.  The two youngest kids are quite likeable, but fade into the background at the end.  The whole thing feels oddly like you're watching from a distance, there's nothing to draw you in.

Minor spoiler:  There are, Marvel-style, two extra scenes in the closing credits, one of which is quite amusing, the other hints at a sequel I can't imagine anyone will want to see.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter