Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Neural DSP Quad Cortex - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited August 2022
    Bungle1 said:
    NelsonP said:
    I'm reading some of these posts about re-amping and cabs and thinking 'Surely the capture is of the amp, cab, speaker and mic combination'. If you then re-amp it and play it throught another monitor, that needs to be FRFR or else it won't sound like the original?'.

SD powerstage = good. Zilla 2 x 12 with a V30 and Creamback = not good. Laney LFR212 = better? Right? 

2 x LFR212's in stereo, wet, dry = even better?
    You can capture fully mic'ed up cab etc for recording purposes, and that would be better through FRFR, but you can also capture a mic/cab-less version of the amp which you can then play through a normal cab while retaining the original tone/feel.
    I assume this is if you put the amp directly into a separate load box without IRs which then feeds that signal to the cortex?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 125
    mrkb said:
    Bungle1 said:
     can also capture a mic/cab-less version of the amp which you can then play through a normal cab while retaining the original tone/feel.
    I assume this is if you put the amp directly into a separate load box without IRs which then feeds that signal to the cortex?
    Yeah, there is an Andertons video which demonstrates it quite well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    That makes sense, thanks.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    edited August 2022
    wingo84 said:
    How are folks powering the QC? Just with the supplied PSU? It’s a hungry unit, and disappointed I wouldn’t be able to use my DC-7
    I use the DC-7

need 3 of the parallel adapters and it powers it up just fine. Takes up 4 outputs but that’s fine for me. I also have it powering my xotic wah, zendrive and King of Tone. 
    Are these the adapters you need for the Cioks 7 ?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/cioks-flex-8800-parallel-current-doubler-10cm-ckflex8800?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr4eYBhDrARIsANPywCip03bhheRbesHk50AAi9mKK-QfRpXu1R3lRVtfDpCXehp5WewPpZUaAuOKEALw_wcB
  • uberscottuberscott Frets: 129
    wingo84 said:
    How are folks powering the QC? Just with the supplied PSU? It’s a hungry unit, and disappointed I wouldn’t be able to use my DC-7
    I use the DC-7

need 3 of the parallel adapters and it powers it up just fine. Takes up 4 outputs but that’s fine for me. I also have it powering my xotic wah, zendrive and King of Tone. 
    Are these the adapters you need for the Cioks 7 ?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/cioks-flex-8800-parallel-current-doubler-10cm-ckflex8800?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr4eYBhDrARIsANPywCip03bhheRbesHk50AAi9mKK-QfRpXu1R3lRVtfDpCXehp5WewPpZUaAuOKEALw_wcB
    Yep, they're the ones - three of em to power the QC.
  • keirkeir Frets: 132
    Patiently waiting for the @Wazmeister write up……
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    keir said:
    …..In the classifieds? ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

mrkb said:
    keir said:
    Back to the seller, if I go down that route ;)

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/233457/quad-cortex-tying-myself-up-in-knots?new=1
    mrkb said:
    keir said:
    Well I wasnt far off ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    mrkb said:
    mrkb said:
    keir said:
    Well I wasnt far off ;)
    You were actually miles away mate...

If you read my thread, you will see I had doubts from the start.

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/233457/quad-cortex-tying-myself-up-in-knots#latest

It's all about having the balls to try new things, and admit when it doesn't quite work for you.

But I'm used to snipping from a distance... as you were ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    I did a video comparing power supply noise for these.

To be fair, only the real nerds will find this useful, but hey ho...

• What cables is everyone using to go direct to FOH? I’m asking as a gigging guitarist who won’t be using my own PA, so I’ll likely be plugging into a DI on stage at the venue.

If I’m using stereo delays and reverbs, how do I get this to FOH? Do I need to use a DI with left/right inputs? Or will a single TRS cable do the trick?

Or, should I be coming out of L/R XLR’s?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    If you need stereo then you want two slt cables that can plug straight into the desk or stage box from the main outputs 1 &2.     A single trs cable would only give mono from one output.    

There shouldn’t be any need to use a di box but it would do harm if that makes it easier to connect.   

I run mine with outputs 1 & 2 to the Pa via xlr cables and output 3 to a backline power amp and cab for onstage sound.   
  • John_P said:
    If you need stereo then you want two slt cables that can plug straight into the desk or stage box from the main outputs 1 &2.     A single trs cable would only give mono from one output.    

There shouldn’t be any need to use a di box but it would do harm if that makes it easier to connect.   

I run mine with outputs 1 & 2 to the Pa via xlr cables and output 3 to a backline power amp and cab for onstage sound.   
    What’s an slt cable?

The stages I play on are nowhere near the FOH desk usually. My singer usually uses a DI for her acoustic guitar so just presumed I’d do the same with the Cortex
    edited September 2022
    John_P said:

What’s an slt cable?

The stages I play on are nowhere near the FOH desk usually. My singer usually uses a DI for her acoustic guitar so just presumed I’d do the same with the Cortex
    He means XLR or TRS (balanced jack) - depends on what the desk takes (usually XLR input) and what the Cortex has for outputs.

Edit - looks like Cortex has either Stereo XLR outs (output 1and 2) or Stereo TRS outs (Output 3 and 4) - what outouts do you send the output signal to in the preset - can you choose?

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 339.4K
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    John_P said:

What’s an slt cable?

Sorry - auto correct,  that should have been xlr cables.       The QC has xlr sockets on the main outputs so there shouldn't be any need for a di box.
  • John_P said:
    John_P said:

What’s an slt cable?

Sorry - auto correct,  that should have been xlr cables.       The QC has xlr sockets on the main outputs so there shouldn't be any need for a di box.
    Cool, so the stage should have somewhere for me to plug XLR’s into. I wasn’t sure if I’d need to have an XLR to jack to go into the DI. It’s not something I’ve ever had to do before, I’ve always just used an amp.

I’ll likely still be running an amp/cab on stage as well, but that’s easy enough for me
  • mrkb said:
    John_P said:

What’s an slt cable?

He means XLR or TRS (balanced jack) - depends on what the desk takes (usually XLR input) and what the Cortex has for outputs.

Edit - looks like Cortex has either Stereo XLR outs (output 1and 2) or Stereo TRS outs (Output 3 and 4) - what outouts do you send the output signal to in the preset - can you choose?

At the moment I’m running an instrument/jack cable into my SD170.

I’d be setting the presets to “multiple out” when I’m gigging though
  • Is anyone aware of any good videos that go through how to understand the the routing/using the 4 paths and what effect that all has on the output sounds? 

I’ve tried setting up a couple of patches adding splitters etc and not getting the desired effect, but I think this may be down to not understanding what’s happening when I’m building the patches
  • onyironyir Frets: 39
  • rayttkrayttk Frets: 48
    I’m hanging on a few days for a 2.01 bug fix
    I updated yesterday and it's been working fine so far. Really enjoying some of the new included factory captures, in particular the Plasma Coil and the Tone King.
    The interface works a lot better, snappier
  • rayttkrayttk Frets: 48
    Nice video from Neural

https://youtu.be/7dVV3moAuLk
    New updated CorOS 2.1.0. Some nice new devices and QoL improvements.
    https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex-updates/coros-2-1-0-is-now-available
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 597
    Desktop editor beta launch is Oct 9th so hopefully not far away now
  • BGGBGG Frets: 664
    onyir said:
    New updated CorOS 2.1.0. Some nice new devices and QoL improvements.
    https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex-updates/coros-2-1-0-is-now-available
    Im addicted to the new Victory and Matchless amps, they sound so bloody good. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • KultscharKultschar Frets: 27
    edited October 2023
    Many people using the QC still?

You do feel they are *finally about to turn a corner so things could get interesting. 

I kept mine (also a Axe III user) but was close to selling just before the editor was unveiled as *real* as I do love the form factor, UI and for some amps prefer over the Fractal.

I got sick of tweaking this thing on the floor with my bad back and used to Axe Edit for some long hours tweaking etc so do feel the Desktop editor will really boost the QC for me.     I own about 4 Neural Plugins so it's nice to hear Plini X is around the corner as it is one I own.

Maybe its wishful thinking but I hope after the Editor is done and first plugin port is underway (One of the developers says on video Plini is in final stages) then bigger anymore frequent additions will occur - in particularly better and more FX.  

Hopefully things go up a notch from here.....
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Not sure why, but I still can’t help but feel the QC is still a bit half-baked. 
    Will definitely be interesting to see the hype train build if the above comes to fruition. 

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    I don't think they'll ever manage to fully integrate their plug in suite, I think that it's just false hope at this point. 
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"