Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Neural DSP Quad Cortex - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

What's Hot

Comments

• wingo84wingo84 Frets: 40
    How are folks powering the QC? Just with the supplied PSU? It’s a hungry unit, and disappointed I wouldn’t be able to use my DC-7
    I use the DC-7

need 3 of the parallel adapters and it powers it up just fine. Takes up 4 outputs but that’s fine for me. I also have it powering my xotic wah, zendrive and King of Tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • keirkeir Frets: 132
    wingo84 said:
    How are folks powering the QC? Just with the supplied PSU? It’s a hungry unit, and disappointed I wouldn’t be able to use my DC-7
    I use the DC-7

need 3 of the parallel adapters and it powers it up just fine. Takes up 4 outputs but that’s fine for me. I also have it powering my xotic wah, zendrive and King of Tone. 
    Have you tried doing a capture of your KOT and Zemdrive at all? 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2022
    Double post 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    keir said:
    wingo84 said:
    I use the DC-7

I captured the zen, and it’s pretty good! I like to change the setting on it, and the KOT, so it’s easier to have them through the loop.
    Another question….do the scenes work like Helix Snapshots where I can have one scene with an amp set clean, another scene where it’s crunchy then another where it’s full-on drive?

Or, do I need to have 3 separate amp blocks to achieve this?
    I’ve found that Any parameter you can see can be altered for a scene 
    wingo84 said:
    keir said:
    wingo84 said:
    I use the DC-7

I captured the zen, and it’s pretty good! I like to change the setting on it, and the KOT, so it’s easier to have them through the loop.
    There was an andertons video where they did and and I think once they had given the tone a nudge brighter then they said they couldn’t tell the difference. Amazing. 
  • chrisvchrisv Frets: 550
    edited August 2022
    If anyone wants Lazy J, Klon, vintage Fender 5E3 captures and more besides, then by all means follow me on the Cortex app and grab 'em (username: chrisvinnicombe)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • onyironyir Frets: 39
    chrisv said:
    If anyone wants Lazy J, Klon, vintage Fender 5E3 captures and more besides, then by all means follow me on the Cortex app and grab 'em (username: chrisvinnicombe)
    I've been using your 5E3 capture since I saw the youtube video with it. It's very nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Back in stock at Anderson’s…

Ive got one arriving tomorrow :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chrisv said:
    Thanks Chris.

Have you made any YT vids on the Cortex ?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 597

I nearly bought one last night…
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4108
    edited August 2022
    Bungle1 said:
    Is anyone here using their QC with something like the Seymour Duncan Powerstage to run directly into a cab? I'm interested in how this has worked out for people.
    I run mine through a SD Power Stage 200 into a Zilla 2x12. 

All in all it’s absolutely fantastic. I’ve sold off 5 amps in the past few weeks and have captured most of them before I sold them and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference in both sound and feel 

I was still after an Omega Ampworks Granophyre at nearly 3K but I found a guy on the app that’s captured his real amp and not the plug-in. Blown away by this captures and he’s saved me 3k

Always been a real amp guy with zero interest in digital modellers etc but took a punt to see what the hype was about. I’m really blown away by it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisv said:
    Thanks Chris.

Congrats, mate. Give us a full review when you can, please. Enjoy it!

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    edited August 2022
    Bungle1 said:
    Is anyone here using their QC with something like the Seymour Duncan Powerstage to run directly into a cab? I'm interested in how this has worked out for people.

All in all it’s absolutely fantastic. I’ve sold off 5 amps in the past few weeks and have captured most of them before I sold them and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference in both sound and feel 

I was still after an Omega Ampworks Granophyre at nearly 3K but I found a guy on the app that’s captured his real amp and not the plug-in. Blown away by this captures and he’s saved me 3k

Always been a real amp guy with zero interest in digital modellers etc but took a punt to see what the hype was about. I’m really blown away by it 

What speakers are in your Zilla cab?

Edit to add…..

I think the attraction of a modeller through a poweramp and cab is that you get that consistent sound at any volume. It’s been a while since I’ve done a gig but hoping to get back to it next year and there was nothing worse than getting your amp in the sweet spot only to have to turn it down to the point where it sounds rubbish. 

I would probably only use one or 2 actual
    amps but also if you go bored of your amp sound you could just change it to another one. 
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 597

I nearly bought one last night…
    Edit….bought, with the Mission Exp. Pedal.

Delivery tomorrow

Plan - some presets for running into an SD170 through either a Yamaha stereo 2x12 or Marshall stereo 4x12, or direct to FOH when I can’t be arsed carrying the cabs

Other presets for running into my Bad Cat Black Cat 

• keir said:
    Bungle1 said:

What speakers are in your Zilla cab?

Edit to add…..

I think the attraction of a modeller through a poweramp and cab is that you get that consistent sound at any volume. It’s been a while since I’ve done a gig but hoping to get back to it next year and there was nothing worse than getting your amp in the sweet spot only to have to turn it down to the point where it sounds rubbish. 

I would probably only use one or 2 actual
    amps but also if you go bored of your amp sound you could just change it to another one. 
    One V30 and one Creamback 65
  • Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 125
    Bungle1 said:

Thanks, this is what I am hoping to do too. 

Have you made any of your captures without a load-box? Normally the tutorials show running speaker-out output through a load-box and back to the QC. I'm wondering whether I can capture my amp effectively by running the FX send on my amp to the QC, but not running anything back to the amp FX return (don't want the capturing tones running through the cab).
  • chrisvchrisv Frets: 550
    chrisv said:
    Thanks Chris.

Not since working for Gibson ;-)

This one I did for Guitar.com last year shows off just how close the Capture process can get to the real thing: 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    A  heads up for anyone running the QC from a different power supply,   It has a quirk that when it is underpowered it can boot up and appear to be working fine but have minimal or no output.   Usually devices work or not but everything seems fine apart from the output level.  

I was caught out when I first got mine and running it from a cioks dc7 I hadn’t noticed one of the power outputs was on 9V instead 12V.    I had a similar issue at a festival last night running the QC and glxd wireless as normal but I added a midi controller and wah which was just enough to drop the power to the QC so I had no output while everything looked fine.       Ditched the wah and midi board, rebooted and everything was fine but it can be a weird bug to track down when the display looks to be fine.   
  • Bungle1 said:
    Bungle1 said:

Thanks, this is what I am hoping to do too. 

Have you made any of your captures without a load-box? Normally the tutorials show running speaker-out output through a load-box and back to the QC. I'm wondering whether I can capture my amp effectively by running the FX send on my amp to the QC, but not running anything back to the amp FX return (don't want the capturing tones running through the cab).
    You can do that but then you’re not capturing the power amp of you come out of the Fx send 

I use a load box with a line out back to the Cortex so I capture the whole amp 

I like all my captures without speakers 
    Well, I've probably had an hour with it so far...

Just tried the effects and looper into the Two Rock. Very impressive.

The looper is superb. Not unlike the FM3, and certainly very easy to use.

In fact, the whole unit is fun  !!

chrisv said:
    chrisv said:
    Thanks Chris.

Not since working for Gibson ;-)

This one I did for Guitar.com last year shows off just how close the Capture process can get to the real thing: 
    Thanks Chris !

I didn't know you had moved over to Gibson; congrats :)
    Are you able to put a fuzz in the fx send and return or is it buffered? Had a look in the manual but can’t see it there 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    keir said:
    Are you able to put a fuzz in the fx send and return or is it buffered? Had a look in the manual but can’t see it there 
    Surely the fx loop will be after the DACs so the fuzz won’t see the guitar pick-up load.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BGGBGG Frets: 664
    Liked the look of the QC and the smaller footprint etc. 
    Then remembered I have large, wide clumsy feet and struggle with most pedalboards and my Kemper Remote lol. 
    Think I’ll just stick to my Kemper for now. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    edited August 2022
    I'm reading some of these posts about re-amping and cabs and thinking 'Surely the capture is of the amp, cab, speaker and mic combination'. If you then re-amp it and play it throught another monitor, that needs to be FRFR or else it won't sound like the original?'.

SD powerstage = good. Zilla 2 x 12 with a V30 and Creamback = not good. Laney LFR212 = better? Right? 

2 x LFR212's in stereo, wet, dry = even better?
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1301
    edited August 2022
    Had a little play around with the unit in 4cm, sounded great. No tone loss to speak of and the newer effects such as the Phase 95 and Dimension are great.

Could really do with a device to switch the channels of the Rockerverb via QC midi. 

The Suhr midi thingy looks ideal but looks like it basically doesn’t exist in the UK.

Anybody know of any alternatives?
    Not sure if the Morningstar relay would work
    https://www.morningstar.io/relay-interface

it doesn’t tell you what midi messages you use to send the signal unfortunately, you do it all in their editor. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    keir said:
    Not sure if the Morningstar relay would work
    https://www.morningstar.io/relay-interface

it doesn’t tell you what midi messages you use to send the signal unfortunately, you do it all in their editor. 
    That only works with the morning star MC series controllers, not general midi signals.

I use a Voodoo labs midi control switcher which allows upto 4 separate TS signals (i combine two into one TRS to amp) used standard midi and can be manualls overridden with the red buttons. They appear on used market fairly regularly.

Voodoo Lab Control Switcher MIDI Amp Channel Switcher | Sweetwater
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 125
    NelsonP said:
    I'm reading some of these posts about re-amping and cabs and thinking 'Surely the capture is of the amp, cab, speaker and mic combination'. If you then re-amp it and play it throught another monitor, that needs to be FRFR or else it won't sound like the original?'.

SD powerstage = good. Zilla 2 x 12 with a V30 and Creamback = not good. Laney LFR212 = better? Right? 

2 x LFR212's in stereo, wet, dry = even better?
    You can capture fully mic'ed up cab etc for recording purposes, and that would be better through FRFR, but you can also capture a mic/cab-less version of the amp which you can then play through a normal cab while retaining the original tone/feel.