Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Trent Guitars - From the Workshop - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Trent Guitars - From the Workshop

What's Hot

Comments

• TTony said:
    Love the video - precision engineering in wood.

How long did it take to complete the cutting operations?
    Thanks Tony!

Certainly longer than the body!

11 programs, I think about 1h30 total! I might see if I can condense it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    That's still a whole lot quicker than doing all that work "by hand" (ie without a CNC machine).  And perfectly repeatable - as long as the wood is comparable - every time.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTony said:
    That's still a whole lot quicker than doing all that work "by hand" (ie without a CNC machine).  And perfectly repeatable - as long as the wood is comparable - every time.
    Certainly! Itl take another hour or so sanding by hand, I’ll post the results later!
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1636
    edited August 2021
    So another 1h30 or so, I finely sand the neck, it is still quite rough off the CNC and does need a fair deal of sanding. I then pop the markers on and refine the radius with the block.

Chuffed with the result!

Fitted like a glove onto my entry level demo model, too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    @TrentGuitars how easy would it be for you to make the necks in different thicknesses, or different profiles, especially now that you have the CNC?  Asking for a friend...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    @TrentGuitars how easy would it be for you to make the necks in different thicknesses, or different profiles, especially now that you have the CNC?  Asking for a friend...
    Hey @Philly_Q ;

Different thicknesses would be very simple for me to do as I can adjust the parameters that relate to the model quite simply in Fusion 360. New profiles I'm sure I could do too, i'd just need some good references to be able to base the profiles in the drawing on :)
  • Logging on to this way too often haha.
    Your work looks amazing as always elliott!
  • Logging on to this way too often haha.
    Your work looks amazing as always elliott!
    Thank you so much Reuben! 
  • markarkarkmarkarkark Frets: 137
    Really interesting seeing all this, thanks for sharing!
  • More colour today!

I got clears on nearly the whole batch too, so time for them to sit before buffing

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • the orange! It's even better than I expected
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • the orange! It's even better than I expected
    It might be a new favourite..
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    I’m still waiting to see more of the green…hint hint. ;)
  • I’m still waiting to see more of the green…hint hint. ;)
    Tomorrow!
  • Ooft that Orange is nice. 
  • Green!

Quite a nice colour lineup for this batch!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bengabenga Frets: 19
    I've been thinking how good a green 'Debut' would look with a black scratch plate, kind of like the Fender Thurston Moore jazzmaster colour way. And then you share picture of a green model =) 

A green Debut with a black anodised scratch plate... yum  :3 (I know you aren't doing customised Debut models Elliot, don't worry ;) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • benga said:
    I've been thinking how good a green 'Debut' would look with a black scratch plate, kind of like the Fender Thurston Moore jazzmaster colour way. And then you share picture of a green model =) 

A green Debut with a black anodised scratch plate... yum  :3 (I know you aren't doing customised Debut models Elliot, don't worry ;) )
    @benga I can certainly do a green debut with a black scratchplate for you!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

No, no, no, NO, NO

That’s really upset my OCD now - the hooks aren’t all facing the same way!  Where’s the attention to detail?

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Love it, will definitely be green for me when I can get the funds together. Mind you, I’ll have to go for the full fat version, I want the gloss finish and a strat trem (or les trem)…and possibly even three p90s. =)
  • TTony said:

No, no, no, NO, NO

That’s really upset my OCD now - the hooks aren’t all facing the same way!  Where’s the attention to detail?

Uneven heights, too!

Love it, will definitely be green for me when I can get the funds together. Mind you, I’ll have to go for the full fat version, I want the gloss finish and a strat trem (or les trem)…and possibly even three p90s. =)
     I have 3 90 in the next batch..not green though!
    TTony said:

No, no, no, NO, NO

Uneven heights, too!

Awesome! How are you wiring it, five way switch with middle pickup rwrp? I had that in a NR firebird that I had to sell when we unfortunately needed the funds -was a wonderful sound and very versatile. 
  • TTony said:

No, no, no, NO, NO

Uneven heights, too!

Awesome! How are you wiring it, five way switch with middle pickup rwrp? I had that in a NR firebird that I had to sell when we unfortunately needed the funds -was a wonderful sound and very versatile. 
    5 way super switch to get the St Vincent setup ie. pos 1 Bridge, pos 2 Middle, pos 3 neck, pos 4 all of them, pos 5 neck and bridge
    TTony said:

No, no, no, NO, NO

Uneven heights, too!

5 way super switch to get the St Vincent setup ie. pos 1 Bridge, pos 2 Middle, pos 3 neck, pos 4 all of them, pos 5 neck and bridge
    Whoever is buying that needs to do us all a demo, would love to hear the tonal possibilities. 
  • TTony said:

No, no, no, NO, NO

Uneven heights, too!

Whoever is buying that needs to do us all a demo, would love to hear the tonal possibilities. 
    It's me  =)

Yeah I'll be posting plenty of pics and clips when I get it! I can't wait!
    I’ll look forward to the ngd and review @TwoSpellWizard; you’ll have a cracking guitar, these look amazing.
  • reubenmakesmusicreubenmakesmusic Frets: 46
    edited August 2021
    TTony said:

No, no, no, NO, NO

D
    Uneven heights, too!

Love it, will definitely be green for me when I can get the funds together. Mind you, I’ll have to go for the full fat version, I want the gloss finish and a strat trem (or les trem)…and possibly even three p90s.
    I'll gladly do a demo (mine is 2 p90 though)
    TTony said:

No, no, no, NO, NO

D
    Uneven heights, too!

Love it, will definitely be green for me when I can get the funds together. Mind you, I’ll have to go for the full fat version, I want the gloss finish and a strat trem (or les trem)…and possibly even three p90s.
    I'll gladly do a demo (mine is 2 p90 though)
    Please do, the more the better! :)
  • bengabenga Frets: 19
    benga said:

@benga I can certainly do a green debut with a black scratchplate for you!
    It’s on the wish list  =)

I have a jazzmaster itch I need to scratch first though. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    edited August 2021
    @TrentGuitars I love the look, craftsmanship and ethos behind your guitars. As someone who works in copywriting/branding etc., I wonder whether you could play on the environmentally-friendly /sustainable angle more? It's certainly something the chaps on here (including me) love.

Given that your finishes are water-based and you're near the coast, maybe your models/colours could be things like 'tide', 'wave', 'marine', 'float', 'Solent', 'shore' etc. I know another company has done surf green, shell pink etc., but you know what I mean.

The water-based finish is a real USP and it would be good to play on it IMO. Just some thoughts from a fellow-fretboarder who would love to see you do well.

Heck, even the Trent is a river!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter