Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who's gigging tonight? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who's gigging tonight?

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited May 2018
    The Black Horse Inn, Sidmouth, Devon tonight (26th May). We're on about 9.30pm.

My first gig with a band I joined about 4 weeks ago, since moving to Exmouth.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    Borrowed Time at the Row Barge in Guildford Tonight.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1887
    edited May 2018
    Old Electric Shop in Hay-on-Wye on Saturday. A book festival counts as a festival, right?

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Indigo Hammer rocking the Pickerel Inn in Stowmarket tomorrow night

A great live music pub that always gets a bit wild later in the evening.

I, of course, wont be paying any attention to the shenanigans as it's the first gig I'll be playing using the AX8 going through the PA and not using guitar cabs so I'll be constantly fretting about the sound out front. Lucky poos needed!! 

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    My beat group The Verticals are on at Spondon Liberal Club Derby on Sat 2nd June 9.30 ish. Its our first time there and I'm very much looking forward to it.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    My beat group The Verticals are on at Spondon Liberal Club Derby on Sat 2nd June 9.30 ish. Its our first time there and I'm very much looking forward to it.
    Ah, I’d have come and seen you but I’m gigging myself. Only live down the road!
    Acoustic Festival of Great Britain tonight with the band Monochrome Days in the beer tent from 10:15pm. Come along and say hello :)
    David5150 said:

I, of course, wont be paying any attention to the shenanigans as it's the first gig I'll be playing using the AX8 going through the PA and not using guitar cabs so I'll be constantly fretting about the sound out front. Lucky poos needed!! 

I would be interested to hear how you got on with the AX8.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I gigged last night.  First time with the new band.  Long pub with low ceilings and hard surfaces meant FOH sound was shit and Feedback was a problem.  Had volume issues with the PA, couldn’t get it loud enough to begin with.  A battery died in one of my pedals just before the sound check, resulting in no output at all, the left channel on my in-ears died for the first half of the set and the usually good singer turned into an X-Factor first round comedy reject for the night wailing tuneless random pitches instead.

Never mind, we got free beer all night and got paid too.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    Fez said:
    David5150 said:

I would be interested to hear how you got on with the AX8.

Went bloody brilliantly. Acoustics in the pub were horrible - low ceiling and solid stone walls so a lot of time was spent getting vocals sounding OK and trying to persuade bass player to turn his rig down and maybe even read the eq and compressor setting page of the fookin manual)

But onto the AX8 and its performance. A caveat is I used to use it with a cab and power amp so am fairly familiar with the unit. But for this gig I wanted to just use the PA and carry less heavy stuff.

Had a chance to set it up in the studio through our new Alto TS115 cabs (ICBM will be spitting feathers at my choice of 15inch speakers for mains but we’re a loud band and need a bit of oomph out front. And we’re skint so couldn’t afford anything else!)   I used 6 main presets –Hiwatt for clean , Plexi for Crunch, JCM800 for grind, JVM for sizzle Cameron Atomica for high gain and a bassman for fuzz. Plus an AC30 with loads of delay for some U2 songs we cover. All presets had tubescreamer, delay, phaser ready to deploy when needed.

Interestingly I ended up deleting the pre-sets I thought were awesome with the power amp and cab and just started with the stock Fractal sounds. They sound good. The only adjustment I made was on the high and low cut filters – taking out anything below 120hz and above 6000kHz – just to smooth things out a bit.

Every post you see on the Fractal forum says people ‘came up and complimented me on my tone’ I never get this – just drunk people shouting random stuff when I’m trying to play. But the unit sounded great. Blends brilliantly with the bass and vocals. Not a ‘hi-fi’ sound by any stretch, still has enough rawk to sound rock and roll and everything is tweakable on the fly on the AX8. Those times I wandered out front the sound made me smile - and inspired me to play; which is my ultimate measure of if I keep a bit of kit.

The PA throws the sound out in a pleasant spread. Not a huge amount of volume is needed to cut through which makes balancing better.Bit weird not having a cabinet behind me but quite pleasant not to have to worry about it.

Monitors were a bugger to set up – had them far too loud at first and needs some proper EQ-ing but will figure that out with practice.

Overall opinion – a great start with a brilliant bit of kit. I’ve got the AX2 / MFC101 waiting in the corner of the garage awaiting setup so will report on that at some point.

Rowby1 said:
    Ah, I’d have come and seen you but I’m gigging myself. Only live down the road!
    Went well - always does in Derbys as the people are usually dead nice (we played in Belper a couple of weeks back). Strange venue in that it was full ish from 8.00 until 10.00 but then empty until midnight. Then a hen do + stag night turned up for the last 2 songs plus encore. They were upset we couldn't just play the whole set again! Lots of talk about Gary Rowett between the locals and my Stokey bandmates.

@rowby1 It would have been great to see you but I'd have been nervous doing my thing in front of such a good player.

edited June 2018
    @mudslide73 Trust me, I’m no where near as good as my SotM entries make me sound. This recording malarkey is all smoke and mirrors y’know
    Rowby1 said:
    @mudslide73 Trust me, I’m no where near as good as my SotM entries make me sound. This recording malarkey is all smoke and mirrors y’know
    I know.. I'm the same. I'm even worse than my SOTM entries :)

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    @Danny1969 are you still playing The Wyvern, Lee on Solent on Saturday?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    munckee said:
    @Danny1969 are you still playing The Wyvern, Lee on Solent on Saturday?
    No mate, got told a few weeks back that their band budget had been cut and they couldn't afford us :)

I'm at the crown Friday night in Emsworth and some football awards show in Farlington Park saturday afternoon now 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    @David5150 Thanks for the mini review.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Van Duran at The Bull, Newmarket. Going to be a corker!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    Burning Sky at The Foresters, Crosland Moor, Huddersfield tomorrow (10 June). Kick off around 6pm.
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    The Cabbage Patch, Twickenham, this Friday (June 15).  Garagey, 60s, paisley pop originals. Free entry, 2 bands, great venue. Come down!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Kurtz at the Wee Red Bar, Edinburgh Art College on Friday 15th, 7-10pm, with The Fakes and Land Of Cakes. (Not chosen because they rhyme ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

The Rolling Stoned at the Rec Rooms Horsham - opening night. Tonight
    Don't touch that dial.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    Burning Sky at the New Old Cock & Oak, Halifax tonight.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1466
    Two for us today: private festival type event this afternoon for a big company in Exeter then onto the Lansdowne in Dawlish for 10pm.
    Playing in the pit band for a musical, Grace The Lighthouse Girl tonight at Derby Guildhall Theatre. 

Playing at a Medieval fayre in Witham Essex tomorrow - afternoon in the sun playing to a great crowd.

Only downside is we're playing on the pub balcony where access is challenging to say the least. Through the bar, up a spiral staircase (very old building) through about a thousand fire doors, through the owners apartment and kitchen and onto the balcony - dripping with sweat but ready to rock!!

• newi123newi123 Frets: 814
    My band - Rorkes drift - playing rock covers at the canal bar, newbury tonight. Usually s good gig!
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Helix direct to PA tonight for me at a Charity gig for Teenage Cancer Trust in PJ Molloys in Dunfermline. Provided backline? No thanks :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Just back from the Golden Hind in Kingstanding, rare outing for The 2Tone Automatics now but it went pretty well. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    Just back from the Golden Hind in Kingstanding, rare outing for The 2Tone Automatics now but it went pretty well. 
    @EricTheWeary That's not far from my workplace - I've never gigged there but played the Drake's Drum around the corner. I love a bit of 2Tone so let me know when you've got something coming up. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    @EricTheWeary That's not far from my workplace - I've never gigged there but played the Drake's Drum around the corner. I love a bit of 2Tone so let me know when you've got something coming up.
    That gig was through an agency ( which is a bloke who owns a pet shop and his mate!) and they book bands around Great Barr, Perry Barr, all the Barr’s, for various pubs. I think they call us when they’re getting desperate!  They organise the charidee event Springstock at the Tennis Court which is in a couple of weeks ( we’re not on though). Just looking on their Facebook page their gigs now include the band I started about 16 years ago; still the same singer and he still can’t hit a note! 
    The landlord liked us and we are supposed to go back at some point.

https://www.facebook.com/MightyQuinnEntertainment/

If you were looking for gigs in that area I’m sure you could PM them, say Philip from The 2Tone Automatics sent you the link ( or not, I’m not saying my name carries any weight!). We had a couple of gigs with some hassle but that was the pub managers, not MightyQuinn and they’ve stopped booking for those pubs. 

During my my short lived waistcoat period ( and, no, the solo doesn’t sync with the video):

https://youtu.be/0NKkzTag4NM
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break.