Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recommended AMP TECHS - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recommended AMP TECHS

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

Just a placeholder for now.

Reply with all your recommendations, and we'll keep a single list of them in this post, much as we've done with the Guitar tech discussion.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Placeholder 2
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    Malcolm Hine of MPH Guitars, Edmonton, London, N18, has done loads of excellent, Amp Repair and Maintenance for me over the last few years. Hi s website's a bit creaky, but his work is top-notch.

http://www.mphguitars.co.uk/mphhome.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    edited September 2013
    Nottingham:- Dave Ball 0115 9113964. Old school Rediffusion apprentice. He is reliable and so reasonably priced that I no longer bother asking him to call me with a price, I know he won't overcharge.

Walsall:- Shane Dolman, London Power Power Scaling accredited installer. 07763 127 166.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oxford: Dave Smart at Smart Guitars http://smartguitars.co.uk/. Used to run the much-missed Oxford Guitar Gallery and has since done fantastic work for me on many guitars and amps. Hugely experienced and has a great ear for tone. Won't overcharge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited October 2013
    Pete Agate in Bognor Regis. He's very competetivley priced and does a great job. I highly recommend him. 07747722969
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    Martin of MJW, in the Peaks (Derbyshire) Builds amps, cabs, FX, fixes them, plays guitar, Great chap.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Jon Griffin at G-Tek in Chiswick.
    He has done everything on my amps for the last 5 years.

Also Jesse Hoff of Lazy J fame- top bloke.
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    Martin of MJW is the business, wouldn't use anyone else. Based in Derbyshire but its worth the extra courier costs!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    hywelg said:

Walsall:- Shane Dolman, London Power Power Scaling accredited installer. 07763 127 166.

Shane's a legend... +1 from me.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 124
    Andy Broadbent in Bedford, as good as it gets.  Gigging guitarist who makes excellent amps to order and also does repair work.  Can provide contact details......
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Henk Phillipsen in Horsham. Used to work out of Horsham music (strangely enough in Horsham, West Sussex) but took over the TV repair shop at the other end of town. 

Not only an amazing amp tech / modifier but also does guitar setups, fret jobs etc etc and teaches so a real go to guy for anything guitar and a real character (in a good way!). His rates are exceptionally cheap as well (I keep telling to charge more!)

07746 245452
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This guy gets a massive thumbs-up from me in Peterborough:

Not only is he reasonably-priced (£40 for a rebias and diagnosis/fix of a burnt out screen resistor due to a shorted power valve), he's quick and I got a repair report PDF included with the invoice. He also tested the amp for power output, soak-tested it and did a PAT test while he was in there, and gave a 3 month warranty on the work done and replacement parts.

Compared with most amp techs I've used, that's way above the level of professionalism I'm used to (and very much appreciated).
    <space for hire>
  • Any east/south London recommendations?
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited November 2013
    Any North East recommends please?
  • Gee Electronics was based in Liverpool but now in warrington  top guys
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Steve Grosvenor in Brum- Author of the AC30 service guide. 07831615984

Rebuilt a SF Twin Reverb for me, did a fine honest job.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

bigfuzz said:
    Any east/south London recommendations?
    Jesse Hoffs @ Chandler Guitars. Simply the best in the business, and the maker of Lazy J amps. Unbeatable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    close2u said:
    Any North East recommends please?
    Mark @ HiQ amps in Horncastle. He builds the Aussie Pink Floyd rigs and Amps, rebuilt a 1972 Hiwatt for me to amazing standards. He wears toe-tector steel toecapped boots and safety spectacles as his default dress code, so therefore is very good!! http://www.hiqsound.co.uk/about_us.htm

That's exhausted my contact list!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    Jesse James in Barton Hill  Bristol 0117 955 5766 If he is still around was very good

• Guitaraid in Putney, London. They sorted my 1975 Fender Bassman and 1969 Carlsbro 50 Top for me.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Paul Glazebrook at the Kesgrave end of Ipswich.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Check the music center Paisley,Glasgow. great guys to know plus do a first class job on guitars/ amp repairs...

major thumbs up guys... 
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    +1 for Paul Glazebrook... Very nice chap, costs you less than you were expecting.
  • Any recommendations for East Sussex?  Thanks.
  • looking for a good ,reasonable amp tech in Leeds/Bradford area ?
    thanks in advance.
    cheers Mark
    ;)
  • any one who will fix laney amps near tamworth?
  • Paulski73 said:
    Any recommendations for East Sussex?  Thanks.

+1 for henk philipsen in Horsham. Goes under amp wizard now. Very friendly very helpful very cheap!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    http://www.greenmanhumming.com/

This chap used to live in York but now just outside Durham. He only does hand wired valve amps, told me he got fed up of diagnosing dodge connections on circuit boards. He did a couple of mods on my VHT special 6 and made the little thing come alive for £35.
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    Anyone know anyone who can rebias valve amps in York?
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    My local shop (Wildwire Music in Selby) use a local tech who can service and re-bias valve amps. I've not used him myself but I have a Laney that needs sorting out so will do soon.