Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The TV Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    I'm on the 3rd season of Mad Men. Ad company in New York in 1960s.

Slow to begin with but really enjoyable. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    fob said:
    House on Amazon Prime

We'd not seen it when it originally came out but it doesn't really work in the age of streaming (binge watching). Casualty style opening; well surely the diagnosis must be X; no, oh it must be Y, it's definitely Y; OMG it's Z! Ad infinitum (well the 5 or 6 episodes we've watched).
    I loved it ( there are even guitars ) but it does eventually go off on some directions where you will probably want to give up.

On a roughly similar note I used to love The Mentalist, not a medical series but deductive reasoning cop show without a great deal of gore, swearing, etc. Former psychic turned police consultant. Very formulaic, some cool moments and a last season that utterly lost the plot so in those senses just like House.    
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

On a roughly similar note I used to love The Mentalist, not a medical series but deductive reasoning cop show without a great deal of gore, swearing, etc. Former psychic turned police consultant. Very formulaic, some cool moments and a last season that utterly lost the plot so in those senses just like House.    
    I'd forgotten about The Mentalist - that we did see when it first came out and so probably watched a few more of those as the interval between episodes meant that the formula wasn't so in-your-face. But, yeah, it didn't take long to see the monster-of-the-week coupled with the overarching monster-of-the-series formulae. I remember dipping back into it when it was the final episode, had died a death, and it was pure comedy - they must have been playing it for laughs at that point: one of the 'team' took a shotgun blast at point blank range and then limps up to the rest of them once the battle is over "oof, that was sore!"

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    fob said:

I'd forgotten about The Mentalist - that we did see when it first came out and so probably watched a few more of those as the interval between episodes meant that the formula wasn't so in-your-face. But, yeah, it didn't take long to see the monster-of-the-week coupled with the overarching monster-of-the-series formulae. I remember dipping back into it when it was the final episode, had died a death, and it was pure comedy - they must have been playing it for laughs at that point: one of the 'team' took a shotgun blast at point blank range and then limps up to the rest of them once the battle is over "oof, that was sore!"

Dexter was another one that went really screwy towards the end, Battlestar Galactica also.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ennspek said:
    fob said:

Dexter was another one that went really screwy towards the end, Battlestar Galactica also.
    The new Dexter is supposed to be out this year although it may well be delayed I guess. Each season was reasonably different, gawd knows what the new one will be like. 

The Mentalist was very, very loosely  based on a British psychic, not in terms of Red John and all that but he was a psychic who explained all the tricks of the trade. If the DVD extras are somewhere on line they are probably more interesting than the actual episodes.   
  • I'm on the 3rd season of Mad Men. Ad company in New York in 1960s.

Mad Men is the GOAT TV show. Undisputed. Anyone who disagrees is a fool.

I rewatched all seven series in their entirety during the first lockdown. It's only gotten better with age.

Absolute genius.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm on the 3rd season of Mad Men. Ad company in New York in 1960s.

Mad Men is the GOAT TV show. Undisputed. Anyone who disagrees is a fool.

I rewatched all seven series in their entirety during the first lockdown. It's only gotten better with age.

Absolute genius.
    I tried it and lost interest in the first few episodes. Been meaning to give it another go.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I've been going back through the first 4 seasons of Elementary that I found much better than Sherlock that I always felt was trying to show off to much at the expense of the plot.
    Running through early Seasons of the Blacklist back when it was much more consistent than it is currently.
    Also rewatching Dollhouse Seasons 1 and 2 on and off,  and this week viewed Torchwood S3 (Children of Earth) that I think is the high water mark for TV SF.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    edited March 2021
    'The Terror' - BBC iPlayer.

I loved it, despite some iffy 'scenery'. The acting was spot-on, Ciaran Hinds' character demonstrating the Peter Principle perfectly, Jared Harris superb as his doubting second-in-command. Some grueling scenes but all in a day's work for a Royal Navy jolly jack crew whose ship is stuck in the ice with no hope of getting out again.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    We're watching "Your Honor" at the moment. I find it intensely gripping, real edge of your seat stuff as everything goes from bad to much worse...
    edited March 2021
    We're watching "Your Honor" at the moment. I find it intensely gripping, real edge of your seat stuff as everything goes from bad to much worse...
    I like it - we are 4 episodes in. 

Cranston is acting very much like Mr White from BB. It does apply and is still very good. Feels like bit of a deja but though...

Micheal Stuhlbarg - little underwhelming so far - I remember him from "Boardwalk Empire" and he certainly can be very convincing as a gangster... unless it's the wife that appears to be the mean one (so far). 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Philly_Q said:
    Nitefly said:
    Philly_Q said:

I haven't felt like watching any drama recently so I've been watching Would I Lie To You? and Richard Osman's House of Games on iPlayer.  And old episodes of Tenable on ITV Hub.

I love game shows, so I thought I would give Gordon Ramsay's Bank Balance a go, even though I hate the leathery-faced, humourless bully...

Big mistake.  It's absolutely unbearable.  The game is shit, a thinly disguised version of The Million Pound Drop.  It's one of those shows where they encourage the contestants to babble incessantly, as if they're minor celebrities, but nobody's interested.  And Ramsay is his usual vile self.  Never, never again. 

@Philly_Q - yeah, but the comedy!   2 pilots playing last night, needed 2 answers for African countries beginning with a vowel. 

After a few seconds they got Uganda, then couldn't think of a second one.  One suggested "Mozambique?"...

Eventually they hit upon Egypt, but had left it too late so got timed out.

@Nitefly ; Aaargh, now I'm tempted to give it another go!  Maybe I'll get drunk first, to desensitise myself...
    OK, I gave in.  I have been watching Gordon Ramsay's Bank Balance.  The contestants manage to be both incredibly ignorant - with the questions - and mind-bogglingly stupid - with balancing the board.  Ramsay himself starts to feel almost tolerable in the face of so much idiocy.

Name a Dickens novel... "Moby Dick".  Name one of the 14 actors to have played Doctor Who... "Benedict Cumberbatch".

It's well-nigh impossible to win the big money, too.  The only ways to win are balancing all 12 stacks - which nobody's done yet - or by banking a single stack for £9k or £16k.  At least in The Million Pound Drop you could win anything between £0 and £1m. 
  • stickersticker Frets: 868
    I have just discovered "Taskmaster" and bloody love it !
    I can honestly say no other programme has had me laughing out loud as often as this has in years.... if ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    6 episodes in to 'Your Honor'. VERY tense stuff, although the kid is really starting to piss me off.

JUST LISTEN TO MR. WHITE FFS!!!!!
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    "The Last Dance" 

Great documentary. The amount of footage they have is incredible and the story telling is great. You'll probably get more out of it if your a sports fan but still a great documentary series on its own.
    Marcella season 3 - ITV. Cop drama with a heavy layering of psychodrama. Generally very good but as with a lot of things goes well over the top at the end.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I'm up to episode 3 of Debris. It's like X-files meets Lost.
    Debris from a wrecked alien spacecraft is falling to Earth and there are good guys and bad guys and the government forces all trying the get the bits as they have strange and unpredictable properties.
    Gripping.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    Summer of Rockets was pretty good.  Six part drama now available on Netflix.  A bit different from the usual stuff and with a wonderful performance from Timothy Spall.  Mrs Haych and I quite enjoyed it.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    And another...... Back to Life.  We binge watched this on a Sunday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Darkly funny and very well made, would highly recommend.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

@Haych ;I enjoyed Summer of Rockets as well.

Just started Das Boot - Sky Atlantic, very good so far. I'd prefer a bit more hot submarine action though!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    ennspek said:
    @Haych ;I enjoyed Summer of Rockets as well.

Just started Das Boot - Sky Atlantic, very good so far. I'd prefer a bit more hot submarine action though!
    I watched Das Boot (the remake), and thought it was good, but not worthy of being called the same name as the original.

Assuming you're on the first series however, and without spoiling things, episode 7 is superb, with Wrangel at his menacing best.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    Mayans, season 3.

VRRROOOOM, VRRRRROOOOOOOOM *bang bang* *snooooooort* VROOOOOOOM.
    Falcon & Winter Soldier. Disney +.

Much more straightforward than Wandavision. Slick Marvel style bang crash wallop with a sprinkling of character development.
    Line of Duty day
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    What's up with sara pascoe's hands?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    What's up with sara pascoe's hands?
    Eh?
    ennspek said:
    Line of Duty day
    I think we'll wait until we can binge few episodes... I find that flow and details contribute to the story too much to watch it once every 7 days.
    I’ve watched the previous series of LofD as box sets but did watch it tonight. Interesting timing...

ennspek said:
    Line of Duty day
    I think we'll wait until we can binge few episodes... I find that flow and details contribute to the story too much to watch it once every 7 days.
    I try but sometimes temptation gets the better of me. Also means I can use the bloody internet!
    @chillidoggy you weren't wrong about Das Boot!