Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). General Gaming thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited April 2020
    Finished Horizon Zero Dawn 3rd time today....

Getting back into Elite Dangerous now... good lockdown timefiller.  Like being 14 again with my BBC B
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    fuck it starting doom eternal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    edited April 2020
    Just completed Rise of the Tomb Raider. What a game. The environments were amazing and the baddies pretty cool. I got it for about £10 on Steam a couple of years ago and I've got 143 hours playing time. That is what I call value for money. Even if I'd paid full price for it when if first came out which would have been £50 at least, 143 hours is over 5 days of entertainment. If my missus and I went into town to the cionema and then had a bite to eat, it would have come to more than £50 for a couple of hours diversion.

And I picked up Witcher 3 for £10 last week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • i have a few games on the go atm (mostly on xb1) but have really been playing original morrowind (original xbox version) atm.

for whatever reason i could never get into the game back in the day but now am loving it.

levitation (found a great levitation mages staff in a daedric ruin) and boots of blinding speed is fantastic :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 2999
    Ive been playing War Planet Online, its crap, but very addictive, 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Playing Deadside, new survival game. First impressions are good, hoping it can eventually rival my all time favourite DayZ. £15 quid on Steam
  • Any recommendations for a ps4/pc compatible headset? I'm currently eyeing up the arctis 1 or 3 from steelseries...

Modern warfare is pretty good. I'm playing ground war at the moment to get a grip on what is a very different meta than I'm used to with COD and I've yet to top a leaderboard (it's more tactical and slow paced than the fast, slick pace of old cod games) but I'm getting there. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Prepare to get owned.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5820
    edited April 2020
    Playing Deadside, new survival game. First impressions are good, hoping it can eventually rival my all time favourite DayZ. £15 quid on Steam

@fendergibson ;
    Me and my friends have been playing dayz daily, it's the best worst game I have played, its bordering on obsession at the mo.!   
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 135
    Dangerously close to putting 16 quid down for Skyrim on the PS4. Also considering Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for the Switch. I need a fantasy world to get lost in, been lost for many hours in Skyrim before, but I would still go back for another tour. Never played Legend of Zelda, but have only heard great things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    IMC1980 said:
    Dangerously close to putting 16 quid down for Skyrim on the PS4. Also considering Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for the Switch. I need a fantasy world to get lost in, been lost for many hours in Skyrim before, but I would still go back for another tour. Never played Legend of Zelda, but have only heard great things. 
    BOTW is my favourite game of this gen by miles. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IMC1980 said:

+1, never even played it but followed a play through on twitch and even watching it was ace. 

Yeah, I like watching games as much as playing them... 
  • Anyone played Journey on either PS3 or PS4? I'm just busy downloading it now as it's free on the PlayStation Store this week.

Normally the only games I've ever been able to stomach are racing sims and 2d side scrolling platformers like the old Mario and Sonic games. Journey looks to be totally NOT my cup of tea, but free's free so... 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Anyone played Journey on either PS3 or PS4? I'm just busy downloading it now as it's free on the PlayStation Store this week.

Normally the only games I've ever been able to stomach are racing sims and 2d side scrolling platformers like the old Mario and Sonic games. Journey looks to be totally NOT my cup of tea, but free's free so... 
    Yep. It's wonderful and one of a number of really great indie games released over the last few years.

I need to play go through it again. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    IMC1980 said:

I think the Nintendo spring sale ends today if you were thinking of getting it.
  • IMC1980 said:
    PS4 Skyrim is impressive... got mods too.  Bargain if you like it.

If you have not played Witcher 3, that is pretty stunning and feels more alive.

My son really rates Zelda BOW on switch
  • westfordwestford Frets: 514
    Gone back to playing Far Cry 5. Liberated a cult outpost undetected with a bunch of stealth kills and released all the hostages, only for one of them to be killed almost instantly by a grizzly bear. Then a second bear showed up and fought and killed the first bear. While I was watching what was going on there, a wolverine attacked me and I had to climb onto a roof and blast it repeatedly with a shotgun. I’d forgotten how much fun and also how annoying that game is!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    beed84 said:
    Prepare to get owned.
    It's def tougher than 2016 but why is it so cartoony? Feels like the graphics took a major backwards step.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    beed84 said:
    Prepare to get owned.
    It's def tougher than 2016 but why is it so cartoony? Feels like the graphics took a major backwards step.
    Just wait until you get to all the Super Mario sections.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    Why the hell have they put that in there. It’s not like jumping has been a big part of the games in previous Doom games. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I don't mind a few jump puzzles tbh

The HUD looks very quake 1 like too which looks really shitty by todays standards. Need to play a bit longer to make my mind up about the gameplay. On one hand I do like that you need to switch things up a bit to manage your resource but it does seem like they went a bit too far and you run out of ammo way too quickly. 
    I don't mind a few jump puzzles tbh

The HUD looks very quake 1 like too which looks really shitty by todays standards. Need to play a bit longer to make my mind up about the gameplay. On one hand I do like that you need to switch things up a bit to manage your resource but it does seem like they went a bit too far and you run out of ammo way too quickly. 
    I agree - I much prefer Doom 2016. Managed to finish Eternal though - it's decent, but there's something very different about it.
  • Wipeout PSVR is fecking amazing nuff said
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 430
    Started up Persona 5 again as I started playing it around this time last year, got like two chapters in then quit to get the platinum trophy on Skyrim (man that was a goddamn grind).  I bought Persona 5 Royal earlier last month but it felt weird not having finished the original to go through like a "updated" version so I'm working my way through the original then probably gonna play Royal.  Yes I am weird like that.

Finished FF7R late last week and it was thoroughly enjoyable experience.  Would highly recommend it if you're an RPG fan.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Hadn't touched my PS3 in over 5 years, but happened to be able to borrow my cousin's "spare" PS4 during this period of isolation (I refuse to call it a lockdown, because it isn't).

Lucky for me, they have loads of games purchased, and an account they don't use, so I have access to over 200 games. Most of which I'm never going to play. But I've started with the Uncharted Collection. I loved the first one on PS3 and got side tracked when I first started it, so never actually got round to completing (or starting!) 2 or 3, even though I have them purchased! FFS! 

So I'm working my way through them now. 1 was great and I'm halfway through 2 at the minute, which is even more wonderful so far. Once I've finished the original trilogy, I may move onto the Last of Us so I can complete that before trying to do the sequel. 

I don't play often. 2-3 hour session once or twice a week, but it's nice as a bit of a change. 
  • westfordwestford Frets: 514
    Giving Ancestors: the Humankind Odyssey a go. Bit of a learning curve to it, but it’s quite fun if you like banging rocks together and stuff.
  • Wowzers. Next Gen looks like it's gonna look amazing...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Wowzers. Next Gen looks like it's gonna look amazing...

Smoke and mirrors I feel. Graphics are easy to fake - and until we can get genuine 4K at 120hz, it’s all a bit moot really. 

I’ve been burnt constantly in the past by graphics demos for tech and games - and it never ends up as good as they show in the yech demos. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    Vietnam rising storm 2.  Been around a while now .  Bit different to the battlefield and call of duty games(although  I do like them both).

Graphics arent the best but good emphasis on team play and addictive.  
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    I've reinstalled Heroes of Might and Magic V and thoroughly enjoying it! 

Been playing XCOM2 on my xbox during the lockdown as well. Both are bit old now but still enjoyable.