Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). General Gaming thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Doom Eternal is insane. Its pretty much perfect. 
    I never finished doom 2016 so im playing thorugh thgat now with my sights set on eternal :)

plus more mick gordon soundtrack right?
    Doom 2016 was one of the most mental gaming experiences I've ever had. Fond memories.

I'm currently on with Eternal and it's just as brutal and chaotic. It's arguably more challenging as you have to be a bit more strategic with your ammo and the way in which you kill demons. Ignore the reviews which state it's too hard. It's demanding, yes, but I think that's the point. Seriously, when you complete a section/level, it's soooo satisfying.

Mick Gordon soundtrack, but perhaps not as aggressive as the last one.

All in all, a superbly executed game and perfect after a stressful day at the office. I love it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 675
    With me I'm pretty much only playing Warhammer II: Total War these days (other than the odd sprint through Plague Inc.). Anyone who fancies a co-op/head-to-head campaign with/against my Skaven lads, hit me up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    With me I'm pretty much only playing Warhammer II: Total War these days (other than the odd sprint through Plague Inc.). Anyone who fancies a co-op/head-to-head campaign with/against my Skaven lads, hit me up.
    I never really managed to get into the total war games despite being a big warhammer fan. Cant remember if i have warhammer I or II either. 
    I never really managed to get into the total war games despite being a big warhammer fan. Cant remember if i have warhammer I or II either. 

The first one was a little odd and atypical of Total War games, in that there were always large portions of the map that certain factions could not actually inhabit, so they just had to ruin them and take attrition instead. The second game works a lot better, thanks to a new climate system and if you have both games then you can play Mortal Empires, which combines both maps and all the races (so far Empire, Dwarfs, Vampire Counts, Greenskins, Norsca, Wood Elves, Bretonnia, High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven, Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings).
    I think its more the mechanics didnt feel very warhemmery...i also have shogun total war and never really like that either..maybe i jsut didnt give it enough time though.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 474
    Still on Fallout 4 trying to finally do the DLC.  Automatron and a decent amount of Far Harbour done so far.  Took a break from questing today to go bobblehead hunting.  Got about 2/3rds of them now.

Had a sudden urge to start a magic only run in Skyrim tonight so that's what I've spent the last couple of hours doing.  Finding it quite easy so far.  For the early game at least I think magic might be a bit OP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    edited March 2020
    I finally finished Skyrim yesterday for the first time, and by finished I just mean the main Alduin quest - still have loads of other stuff to do! 

*edit*

SWITCH USERS: Does anyone fancy trading some games? I've got Zelda BOTW, Pokemon Go, and Skyrim up for grabs, would like a stab at Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion, or the new Zelda one.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I have played Skyrim loads of times. Never finished it :D 

Currently playing Gris on Switch. It's wonderful in a melancholy sort of way. I absolutely love the Switch for indie stuff. Might have to try Skyrim again...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 135
    RedRabbit said:
    Had a sudden urge to start a magic only run in Skyrim tonight so that's what I've spent the last couple of hours doing.  Finding it quite easy so far.  For the early game at least I think magic might be a bit OP.
    Sunk over 140 hours into Skyrim on the Xbox 360 (Two-handed weapons, smooth-talking archer) and still have a desire to pick up the enhanced version of the PS4 and start the whole thing over again. The music is incredible in this game and the quest where you get hammered and wake up on the other side of the map was one of my favourite gaming moments!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    If anyone has a switch and wants a great puzzle game I can recommend "Baba is you"

It's a real brain melter.
  • If anyone has a switch and wants a great puzzle game I can recommend "Baba is you"

It's on PC too and on my consideration list..£9.11  currently on Humble Bundle so I might go for it.
    tFB Trader
    If anyone has a switch and wants a great puzzle game I can recommend "Baba is you"

It's on PC too and on my consideration list..£9.11  currently on Humble Bundle so I might go for it.

It's absolutely fantastic and not really like anything I've played before.

It's a combination of a sliding block puzzle and a word based logic puzzle
  • Had a go at tomb raider

That was poor. QuickTime events in a tomb raider game? *shudder* 
    It's quite different from the early ones but worth persevering with. I really liked the new format, and the sequels have been great too. :)

I lose all immersion as soon as a QuickTime event happens. It's basically a substitute for not being able to make a game more enjoyable - I'd honestly prefer a cut scene, at least I'd only need to watch the thing once. 

Mash this button, now roll the analog stick, now mash - oh no, you didn't do it right, let's just restart it until you remember the whole sequence - how fun! 

Not for me, basically. A shame, it seemed okay but it was a bit linear and the best bit about the old ones was how non-linear they felt (even if they were extremely linear in practice!). 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I've been almost exclusively on Vermintide ii and Total War Warhammer 2 if any fancies a bash at some point :)

The first one was a little odd and atypical of Total War games, in that there were always large portions of the map that certain factions could not actually inhabit, so they just had to ruin them and take attrition instead. The second game works a lot better, thanks to a new climate system and if you have both games then you can play Mortal Empires, which combines both maps and all the races (so far Empire, Dwarfs, Vampire Counts, Greenskins, Norsca, Wood Elves, Bretonnia, High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven, Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings).
    Double checked its the first one I have..might check to see if 2 is on sale at the moment. 
    LuttiS said:
    I've been almost exclusively on Vermintide ii and Total War Warhammer 2 if any fancies a bash at some point :)
    ooh vermintide 2 is on sale....might take you up on that. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1300
    edited March 2020
    bought control on ps4 despite having more than enough to get on with. it's down to £20 and i've wanted to play it since release. played the first hour or so last night and HOOOOOO BOY that's my kinda videogame
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    bbill335 said:
    bought control on ps4 desoite having more than enough to get on with. it's down to £20 and i've wanted to play it since release. played the first hour or so last night and HOOOOOO BOY that's my kinda videogame
    Good to know :)
    Much talk of Nintendo doing remasters of Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and 3D World for the 35th anniversary this year. I’ll be extremely happy if that turns out to be true as I’m aching to play the Galaxy games again.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    Much talk of Nintendo doing remasters of Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and 3D World for the 35th anniversary this year. I’ll be extremely happy if that turns out to be true as I’m aching to play the Galaxy games again.
    Played the galaxy games to death when they came out. Went back to them a couple of months ago, and sadly, I couldn't get on with them anymore.   :'(
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Have dusted off the wii and we played new super mario bros for a bit. Bloody hated it.
    Used to love em all from the NES onwards, but much like guitar I've slowed down considerably over the years and can't take the frenetic pace of the stuff I used to play anymore!
    Simultaneous multiplayer adds a cool dimension though.
    We're basically doing as many different party and multiplayer games as we can (2 geezers, 1 burd). We've done Knowledge Is Power, Diablo 3, wii sports, Pure Pool, mario party (9 i think, on wii) - can anyone recommend more? PS4, PS3 or wii
    All practice and no theory
  • PwaloPwalo Frets: 106
    Escape From Tarkov.

Think you’re tasty on CoD? This is the hardest, most frustrating FPS I’ve ever played and I can’t leave it alone.

edited March 2020
    LuttiS said:
    I've been almost exclusively on Vermintide ii and Total War Warhammer 2 if any fancies a bash at some point
    Campaign or single battles?

Double checked its the first one I have..might check to see if 2 is on sale at the moment. 

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/search/?q=total war warhammer&fbclid=IwAR1h7hYab_p9OhterkHYSlSbCFTzRodbaMIXEZMBNVHxk7h5IW9MNd6VDbw

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1300
    @dafuzz have you tried the jackbox games?
  • dafuzz said:
    Have dusted off the wii and we played new super mario bros for a bit. Bloody hated it.
    Used to love em all from the NES onwards, but much like guitar I've slowed down considerably over the years and can't take the frenetic pace of the stuff I used to play anymore!
    We're basically doing as many different party and multiplayer games as we can (2 geezers, 1 burd). We've done Knowledge Is Power, Diablo 3, wii sports, Pure Pool, mario party (9 i think, on wii) - can anyone recommend more? PS4, PS3 or wii
    Worms WMD, Tricky Towers, Bomberman, Party Golf(very addictive), Jackbox games(especially 1 and 2), Trivial Pursuit Live.... all get regular play local multiplayer 
    dafuzz said:
    Worms WMD, Tricky Towers, Bomberman, Party Golf(very addictive), Jackbox games(especially 1 and 2), Trivial Pursuit Live.... all get regular play local multiplayer 
    Overcooked (or Overcooked 2). 
    tFB Trader
    We've been playing 4 player mini golf on the switch. It's surprisingly fun for 89p
    LuttiS said:
    vermintide 2 seems pretty buggy at least on PC
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    LuttiS said:
    vermintide 2 seems pretty buggy at least on PC
    I've only come across one bug where the rat ogre dies if you back it into a corner and it clips through a wall... Only happened once though.

Darryl_Morris said:
    LuttiS said:
    I've been almost exclusively on Vermintide ii and Total War Warhammer 2 if any fancies a bash at some point
    Campaign or single battles?

Campaigns - not played online. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5820
    Anyone playing anno 1880 yet? It's soooo good!