Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). South West Jam - Factory Studios (Bristol) Edition - 8th June 2019 - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

South West Jam - Factory Studios (Bristol) Edition - 8th June 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Paid
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    Thank you Mark - list updated.   Let's have your song suggestions!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2202
    mrkb said:
    Paid
    Thanks Mark.
    Calling on everyone to have a think about who you can nudge about this event to get numbers up :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Here is the song list, so far.

Song TitleOriginal Artiste
    Comfortably NumbPink Floyd
    Rock And RollLed Zeppelin
    Sit DownJames
    RocksPrimal Scream
    Just Like HeavenThe Cure
    HeroFoo Fighters
    Move OverSlade 
    Almost Cut My HairCrosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    Bad CompanyBad Company
    If You Want Blood (You Got It)AC/DC
    All Right NowFree
    Motorcycle EmptinessManic Street Preachers
    Teenage KicksThe Undertones
    Girl From MarsAsh
    The Wind Cries MaryJimi Hendrix
    AlivePearl Jam
    IronmanBlack Sabbath
    Arc Of A DiverSteve Winwood

Some of these are subscribers' first choices. Others are alternative suggestions until better ones are nominated by new subscribers. I am certain that you can come up with some thing better. ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • Have we actually got anywhere near covering costs yet? This looks very under subscribed at the moment 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Have we actually got anywhere near covering costs yet? This looks very under subscribed at the moment 
    What's the target dude and how far along are we
    The cost is approx £560 (which includes an allowance for a drummer, gives us a studio with engineer, two rehearsal rooms and a chill out space). We therefore need a minimum of 21 paying attendees. 

At this point we have 9 confirmed attendees, 6 of whom have paid. My guess is that 5 of us who are currently only listed as organisers will also want to participate in the main room sessions and would therefore pay subs (@Alnico, @dazzajl, @fandango, @Funkfingers and myself), so that gives us 14 people, 7 short of what we need.

Our fallback would be to adjust the booking so we have less rooms and therefore need fewer attendees. The minimum cost (studio+rehearsal room+drummer) is likely to be circa £425, which would be covered by 16 paying attendees.

• @Brocco if the recording element is expensive I could always bring my R16 and handle recording. 8 track in, so we can mix and master afterwards. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Morning chaps, its water rats in woking on saturday.  After last years, which was my first ever jam, I was full of beans and raring to jam again - might be worth sticking a note on the water rats threads on next week and catch some enthusiasm!
    @Legionreturns - we are being charged £250 for the studio & engineer, so maybe there is scope to lower that particular cost?

@munckee - thank you, will do
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
    I haven’t paid yet. 
    Payday is 25th. 

Consider me in. 
    I wasn’t going to take part in much of the main room but I’m not going to not-pay, just been the most difficult couple of financial months we’ve known for ages. 

@Brocco ;
    I’ll PM you this weekend. 
    Brocco said:
    fallback ... adjust the booking ... fewer attendees. 
    It is generous of the venue to be flexible over this aspect. Is there a cut off date when commitment has to be made to one size of event or the other?
    Be seeing you.
    @Funkfingers - I defer to @fandango...
    Hi guys, sorry, work and looking for non-guitar ways to spend my money has kept me from updating until now.

I’m not sure what to say..... but I’ll try ......

The next time I can check the paypal account to see who's paid, will be tomorrow (friday) evening.

There’s space for more people, definitely. It would be great to see the next darthed raise a hand and commit to the challenge. I’m pleased to see a few established faces are making the effort. Many thanks, guys.

To those who have just returned from a gap year Outer Mongolia and are reading this wondering what I’m blathering about - go read about Sasquatch Feb 2018 for a taster as to how much these jams can help improve your guitar playing.

Would really love to see more south westerners wade in and make Bristol Jam 2019 a success.

@alnico - I feel your pain with the lack of moolah. Whenever you’re ready.

Brocco said:
    @Legionreturns - we are being charged £250 for the studio & engineer, so maybe there is scope to lower that particular cost?
    I challenged them when I booked it, but it needs to be worthwhile for the engineer to get out of bed. I got the impression they weren’t going to let anybody else play on their desk.

It’s now dinner time and I’m hungry, so I’ll try come back and continue this later......
    edited April 2019
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
     @fandango ;
    Thanks man.

I'll make sure it's done on the 25th.
    roberty said:
    Morse Code, eh?  ;)
    Be seeing you.
    roberty said:
    Morse Code, eh?  ;)
    That's morse code for 'fat fingers'
  • @fandango as I said earlier, if you want to, and it's possible to avoid that cost, I can handle the recordings and won't need to use their studio or control room. As long as we can DI or mic everything we're fine. I've got plenty of cables, can borrow drum mics (although if anyone local has them, that would be better) and have at least one SM57 for micing a guitar cab. I have a bass amp with DI out, as well as a couple of guitar amps, vocal mics and a snake to get it all to my portable desk. Can even use my PA if that helps. 

Ive got an e906 to mic a cab with if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    @fandango as I said earlier, if you want to, and it's possible to avoid that cost, I can handle the recordings and won't need to use their studio or control room. As long as we can DI or mic everything we're fine. I've got plenty of cables, can borrow drum mics (although if anyone local has them, that would be better) and have at least one SM57 for micing a guitar cab. I have a bass amp with DI out, as well as a couple of guitar amps, vocal mics and a snake to get it all to my portable desk. Can even use my PA if that helps. 
    That would halve the venue-related costs. And we’d only lose one room.
    I've got a C414...
  • roberty said:
    I've got a C414...
    We should be good for 3 amps then, and DI bass. 

Drum mics, I'd only stick 2 in, kick and overhead. That would leave 2 channels for vocal mics. 

roberty said:
    I've got a C414...
    We should be good for 3 amps then, and DI bass. 

Drum mics, I'd only stick 2 in, kick and overhead. That would leave 2 channels for vocal mics. 
    Nice! Sounds like a plan then
  • Things that would make my life easier if we go down this route: 

Fixed backline of amps, set loud and clean, so that people can plug their boards in but levels stay roughly the same

Anyone local who has a decent bass amp with a useable DI, would save me humping mine down the country. 

If anyone can lay their hands on some drum mics, it means I'll not need to borrow them. 

A second person willing to learn how to share desk duty (so I actually get to jam!) 

Not having to spend days mixing and mastering afterwards. The raw stems can be sent to whoever wants to do this. I've just got far too much on, and, without wanting to sound harsh, I'm doing this for free to make the event financially viable. 

Is that all fair enough? 

edited April 2019
    I’ve got kick and snare mics - 1 of each, and a small mixer if you need to create a drum mix
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    For water rats we are doing a mixing challenge with the stems. 
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    I can bring a bass amp with DI, and I’d be happy to share some desk duties - I’m no expert but I do have a little bit of experience, so with a few hints should be able to manage.
    I can mind the desk too