Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Daniels guitars builds and finishing - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Daniels guitars builds and finishing

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    I do think the warnings about GRPR here are overstated. You're not gathering user data in a database, generating user accounts or tracking users with cookies for advertising or personalisation
    Okay, I wasn’t going to say anything else regarding this because it is a little unfair to have a positive thread derailed like this but allow me enlighten anyone reading this who DOESNT have a website where customers contact you via a contact form...

At present, I am sitting with the dashboard of my website open. I have a few hundred emails with personal information attached. I have collected a lot of data. Therefor, a privacy policy is required. Now, I only recently got one which is shocking but again, along with Darren how was I to know? No one can purchase from my website yet I still have a lot of other peoples personal information in my possession.

Its also worth noting that Kurt is a solicitor. Surely it’s okat to take his advice in this case (pardon the pun) seeing as he hasn’t charged us for the insight? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    poopot said:
    Ok,

Darren’s site is and will be, when it’s finished, nothing more than a “portfolio” of his builds with a facility for anyone to contact him should they need or want to...

He is not a “company” as such, he is not offering items for sale and he won’t have a web shop or ecommerce back end...

gdpr is satisfied by including bith a balid email email address and a box to click to give consent before the contact form will send...

TBH he doesn’t have to put a physical address anywhere on his site... and tbh why would he want to?

if in the future he decides to sell his guitars online, or post a list of his prices (if he has any) or offer any “service” to the general public... he would have to comply with the correct consumer laws where applicable...

but... as it stands... it will be nothing more than a website showing his portfolio... absolutely no different to the millions of artists, photographers and creative artisans around the world...

Edit***** no different to putting a “build thread” on here!...
    Hmmm!

My reason for opening this can of worms is because I assumed this website would be a way of customkits marketing his excellent work with an intention to sell - an assumption that seems reasonable, what with this being posted in the Made In The UK forum which is intended "to give another platform to the smaller UK-based businesses to reach the guitar community with their (relevant) products and services" and by the fact that the draft website has a consent tick box on the contact us page - something that would be the right thing to do under data protection principles, but since May that request for consent should be be more explicit for it to be GDPR compliant.

Seems to be a lot of back pedalling going on - or perhaps I have totally misunderstood the intention here, but I hope that Customkits will be selling his excellent work through the website. My point was that if that is the case you need to ensure that data protection is built in right at the design stage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gagaryn said:
    poopot said:
    Ok,

Darren’s site is and will be, when it’s finished, nothing more than a “portfolio” of his builds with a facility for anyone to contact him should they need or want to...

He is not a “company” as such, he is not offering items for sale and he won’t have a web shop or ecommerce back end...

gdpr is satisfied by including bith a balid email email address and a box to click to give consent before the contact form will send...

TBH he doesn’t have to put a physical address anywhere on his site... and tbh why would he want to?

if in the future he decides to sell his guitars online, or post a list of his prices (if he has any) or offer any “service” to the general public... he would have to comply with the correct consumer laws where applicable...

but... as it stands... it will be nothing more than a website showing his portfolio... absolutely no different to the millions of artists, photographers and creative artisans around the world...

Edit***** no different to putting a “build thread” on here!...
    Hmmm!

My reason for opening this can of worms is because I assumed this website would be a way of customkits marketing his excellent work with an intention to sell - an assumption that seems reasonable, what with this being posted in the Made In The UK forum which is intended "to give another platform to the smaller UK-based businesses to reach the guitar community with their (relevant) products and services" and by the fact that the draft website has a consent tick box on the contact us page - something that would be the right thing to do under data protection principles, but since May that request for consent should be be more explicit for it to be GDPR compliant.

Seems to be a lot of back pedalling going on - or perhaps I have totally misunderstood the intention here, but I hope that Customkits will be selling his excellent work through the website. My point was that if that is the case you need to ensure that data protection is built in right at the design stage.

Absolutely right. Privacy by design or default, the most important principle of the GDPR in my view. 

All very simple to fix really. But better to get it right in the first place than to wing it. 

Im tagging myself out now though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    lonestar said:
    roberty said:
    I do think the warnings about GRPR here are overstated. You're not gathering user data in a database, generating user accounts or tracking users with cookies for advertising or personalisation
    Okay, I wasn’t going to say anything else regarding this because it is a little unfair to have a positive thread derailed like this but allow me enlighten anyone reading this who DOESNT have a website where customers contact you via a contact form...

At present, I am sitting with the dashboard of my website open. I have a few hundred emails with personal information attached. I have collected a lot of data. Therefor, a privacy policy is required. Now, I only recently got one which is shocking but again, along with Darren how was I to know? No one can purchase from my website yet I still have a lot of other peoples personal information in my possession.

Its also worth noting that Kurt is a solicitor. Surely it’s okat to take his advice in this case (pardon the pun) seeing as he hasn’t charged us for the insight? 
    Fair, if you are storing email addresses and IPs etc you need consent and a privacy policy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9089
    a not needed privacy policy added to the "non active" and "non trading" website...

Can we all get back to praising Darren for his excellent builds now?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Interesting but possibly misplaced discussion about GDPR!

Yes the guitars are stunning, I'm seriously considering a commission
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    roberty said:

Well ffs don’t contact him via his website ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    I couldn't make enough guitars to sell on a website
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777

Looks very nice from here chaps, on PC and phone both, nice and modern, good pics.

One thing - just personal impression - was the logo, the full stop seems a bit out of place, you don't see them in a logo. Might just be me. Also I'd have expected 'Daniels Guitars'. On biz cards, invoices, whatever, it'd be 100% obvious whereas 'Daniels.' prob wouldn't. Could maybe hang the word "guitars" underneath "Daniels", would fit in without freaking out the layout. And give emphasis to 'Daniels' which seems kind of nice given the reasons...
    Again just 2p of whatever.

GDPR, don't sweat it. Yes there's a law but if anyone's going to be checked out it'll be the big boys. Privacy policys can be borrowed/adapted/taken from templates.

Address, could say something general like based in Somethingshire England, visitors by appointment, or something. Just gives folk a rough idea without being specific, if you don't want that.

Anyways hope that was taken as constructive, was meant that way, good luck and crack on Darren..

tFB Trader
    Corvus said:

Looks very nice from here chaps, on PC and phone both, nice and modern, good pics.

One thing - just personal impression - was the logo, the full stop seems a bit out of place, you don't see them in a logo. Might just be me. Also I'd have expected 'Daniels Guitars'. On biz cards, invoices, whatever, it'd be 100% obvious whereas 'Daniels.' prob wouldn't. Could maybe hang the word "guitars" underneath "Daniels", would fit in without freaking out the layout. And give emphasis to 'Daniels' which seems kind of nice given the reasons...
    Again just 2p of whatever.

GDPR, don't sweat it. Yes there's a law but if anyone's going to be checked out it'll be the big boys. Privacy policys can be borrowed/adapted/taken from templates.

Address, could say something general like based in Somethingshire England, visitors by appointment, or something. Just gives folk a rough idea without being specific, if you don't want that.

Anyways hope that was taken as constructive, was meant that way, good luck and crack on Darren..

Thanks Bill it's all new to me so constructive advice is always welcome 

That was just some artwork i had done by my sons friend i can get that altered at some point, there's lots to go on yet and a privacy policy box has been put on 

Yes i will say where i am located not that it really matters as my customers are all over the world, got 2 going to the states this year and Europe next probably, i don't rush lol

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    poopot said:
    roberty said:

Well ffs don’t contact him via his website

The contact form looks compliant to me. Not sure if TFB is though? *runs*
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    poopot said:
    roberty said:

Well ffs don’t contact him via his website

The contact form looks compliant to me. Not sure if TFB is though? *runs*
    I feel pretty much the same tbh, i do wonder why i bother posting stuff up sometimes
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    @customkits I meant in the context of GDPR! Just being cheeky. Please continue to share, your work is stunning and deserves an audience
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    @customkits I meant in the context of GDPR! Just being cheeky. Please continue to share, your work is stunning and deserves an audience
    Oh thanks, I've got a few things planned that might be of interest to making and modding so I'll see how that pans out 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    Back to the topic (despite desperately wanting to add a bit more about GDPR :) ) love the Goldtop even though it has a Bigsby
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    normula1 said:
    Back to the topic (despite desperately wanting to add a bit more about GDPR :) ) love the Goldtop even though it has a Bigsby
    That's one of the best features imo but don't worry I'm doing a standard 54 and a 56 darkback for me with bigsby 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
        I just made a fret jig that allows me to stick a prepped up tapered fretboard and leave it while i radius, slot and cut inlays, the first test was a really nice old cocobolo board for a spanish cedar dc junior, it's really light weight and vintage spec inc the old fret scale, don't mention privacy policy lol
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Website is live now and stuarts photography is outstanding, I'd never have got this done

Feel free to have a look and comment, there's still stuff that could do with a tweak but otherwise very happy now

http://www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    Looks excellent...! dead good.
    Stu = poopot? Top stuff
  • rexterrexter Frets: 363
    tFB Trader
    I think the site looks brilliant. Love the fact that those huge images of your beautiful guitars take up most of the window. Great stuff guys!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Corvus said:
    Looks excellent...! dead good.
    Stu = poopot? Top stuff
    Thanks Bill, yes stu is poopot
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    The site looks great, the photography and guitars look amazing!
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 569
    poopot said: by
    Just to end the gdpr argument.

”To fall within the remit of the GDPR, the processing has to be part of an “enterprise”. Article 4(18) of the Regulation defines this as any legal entity that’s engaged in economic activity”

Darren’s website is nothing more than a portfolio showing his builds... 
    Exactly - too much FUD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 569
    roberty said:
    Yep ^^^ 
    edited August 2018
    notanon said:
    roberty said:
    Yep ^^^ 
    Actually I must caveat this and say with a contact form you need a consent box and privacy statement. The good news is that there are contact form plugins with GDPR compliance options built in

OTOH I don't think Michel Barnier will be turning up at his house with a baseball bat any time soon

Anyway it's sorted now and the site and the guitars are fabulous
    tFB Trader
    let me know when anyone wants to talk about guitars 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sorry mate!
    I’ll give it a go...

the yellow lp special... is it gdpr compliant? :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    I’ll give it a go...

the yellow lp special... is it gdpr compliant? :)
    Someones interested in that one so i better make sure first ;)
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited August 2018
    poopot said:
    I’ll give it a go...

the yellow lp special... is it gdpr compliant?
    Someones interested in that one so i better make sure first
    Someone?   Just make sure you wipe their name from your memory as soon as its sold