Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Official FB Jam - Water Rats (Woking) Edition - 13th April 2019 - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Official FB Jam - Water Rats (Woking) Edition - 13th April 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• BTW I think @McToot is on holiday atm. I'm sure he'd like to sign up if he's available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Any reason I haven't been added to the list yet? Is it the prospect of a silly guitar again?
    *cough* administration error *cough*

All done now....*whistles*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Any reason I haven't been added to the list yet? Is it the prospect of a silly guitar again?
    *cough* administration error *cough*

All done now....*whistles*
    Ta muchley  :)
  • Money sent...
  • BTW, if all the spots fill up and there are new players or new attendees still wanting to join in, .I won't be adverse to giving up my spot if it helps others join in the fun. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2843
    @Bridgehouse my 15 year old lad - Herbie - who has just recently started playing guitar would love to come to Water Rats in April. Not sure what the protocol is regarding +1s but more than happy to pay, but he won't play anything live - just absorb the endless wisdom of the collective (or at least not pick up any terrible habits). 

Let me know what I'd need to do?

p.s. he may bring the Hondo I bought off @Flanging_Fred ;
    Fuengi said:
    @Bridgehouse my 15 year old lad - Herbie - who has just recently started playing guitar would love to come to Water Rats in April. Not sure what the protocol is regarding +1s but more than happy to pay, but he won't play anything live - just absorb the endless wisdom of the collective (or at least not pick up any terrible habits). 

As per the others who have asked if they can bring along offspring - I have nominally adopted the "under 18's accompanied by their parent(s) welcome at no charge" policy - mainly as I feel strongly about encouraging young people to take up guitar and live music - they are the future and we should be encouraging them.

Plus the fact @lovestrat74 's lad was an inspiration at Woking last time.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 218
    edited August 2018
    Would love to come to this as it’s a Southern one but just haven’t got the funds right now as my job went tits up. If I do find work though I will be jumping back on to see if there are still spaces!  
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Fuengi said:

As per the others who have asked if they can bring along offspring - I have nominally adopted the "under 18's accompanied by their parent(s) welcome at no charge" policy - mainly as I feel strongly about encouraging young people to take up guitar and live music - they are the future and we should be encouraging them.

Plus the fact @lovestrat74 's lad was an inspiration at Woking last time.
    And I am more than happy to pay for Jr or even a Jr rate ;). Just let me know, no problem..
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    Paid :)
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    I'm in!  PPG incoming.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Tone71 said:
    Paid :)
    @Tone71 - I can probably associate  your userID to your PP addy - but would you just PM me to confirm please.

And a big shouty  note to all others -

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR FORUM ID IN YOUR PP PAYMENT !!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Wow, well it seems like I am going to be a Water Rats jam member!!! 
    All thanks to a very kind and generous forumite who I am incredibly thankful to. 
    As I am a ‘jam virgin’ is there anything else that I need to do at the moment? Other than practise practise practise of course!!!!!
    I am blown away, scared, but most of all very excited !!!
    Blackjack said:
    All thanks to a very kind and generous forumite who I am incredibly thankful to. 
    As I am a ‘jam virgin’ is there anything else that I need to do at the moment? Other than practise practise practise of course!!!!!
    Brilliant. Brilliant. I will get your name down. PM me any payment details if you need to.

as a jam virgin, I'd PM @darthed1981 and ask his advice :)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Blackjack said:
    Brilliant. Brilliant. I will get your name down. PM me any payment details if you need to.

@blackjack please feel free
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Blackjack said:

And then ignore it all and just turn up and do whatever
    ;)

I'd already put your name down when I saw the PP come through and the message on it.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Blackjack said:
    Ear plugs and longer guitar lead were my main points to note after the first jam!
    @Blackjack - stoked for you and look forward to seeing you on the day. 

One bit to note - you will need to come up with 3 song suggestions, and as a "Jam Virgin" you will get priority for a song choice in the "newcomers" 5 slots.. so I would put some thought into that. 

I'm going to be launching the thread for Woking songlist later this week.
    Blackjack said:

@blackjack please feel free
    Thanks loads! I will drop you a message in a while

munckee said:
    Blackjack said:
    Ear plugs and longer guitar lead were my main points to note after the first jam!

i have got a long lead which is great! Thanks for the tip! 

One bit to note - you will need to come up with 3 song suggestions, and as a "Jam Virgin" you will get priority for a song choice in the "newcomers" 5 slots.. so I would put some thought into that. 

@Bridgehouse thank you so much! I have hung around on the edges of the forum for a long time now as you know but have always largely felt a bit like I was on the outside looking in as it were only due to my novice status not due to anything anyone here has said or done.  I have always been too scared to post very much because I didn’t feel I had much I could contribute to a bunch of such experienced guys and was afraid of making myself look a bloody idiot ! However, I am really hoping that this will change that as it’s a huge confidence boost and I am just so stupidly excited! 

I will start to put some thought into song choices! What kind of styles tend to go down best at the jam’s? 

Thank you so much one and all for all your support, help and encouragement! 
    Blackjack said:

@Bridgehouse thank you so much! I have hung around on the edges of the forum for a long time now as you know but have always largely felt a bit like I was on the outside looking in as it were only due to my novice status not due to anything anyone here has said or done.  I have always been too scared to post very much because I didn’t feel I had much I could contribute to a bunch of such experienced guys and was afraid of making myself look a bloody idiot ! However, I am really hoping that this will change that as it’s a huge confidence boost and I am just so stupidly excited! 

I will start to put some thought into song choices! What kind of styles tend to go down best at the jam’s? 

Thank you so much one and all for all your support, help and encouragement! 
    Style? anything you like - anything does indeed go. Last time ranged from JJ Cale and more bluesy stuff through to Ace of Spades and on to the rather genius rendering of Dangerzone by Kenny Loggins!

Don't feel you have to choose to fit in - choose what you like. We will work around it. Chances are a bunch of people will jump on it and think it's a good choice. 

Variety is the spice of life. 
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118
    Blackjack said:

I'm also a jam virgin so happy to cower in the corner with you!!!

But in all seriousness - playing live with people is the absolute best way to have fun and learn. More than happy to have a natter at any time - but the emphasis is on having a great time with fellow musicians and the lightbulb moment that goes off when you pause for breath mid song and take it all in and realise something along the lines of 'holy cow we're playing pink Floyd/Hendrix/right said fred etc' is just epic

Ok, random stupid question time!!!
    Can my hubby come with me? Not in any kind of playing or singing capacity, just as driver/roadie/ sparky/dogsbody? Or would he have to be a paid up attendee??
    you definately would not want to hear him sing, he is the true meaning of the phrase ‘tone deaf’. Lol 
    sorry for silly questions! 
    Blackjack said:
    Can my hubby come with me? Not in any kind of playing or singing capacity, just as driver/roadie/ sparky/dogsbody? Or would he have to be a paid up attendee??
    you definately would not want to hear him sing, he is the true meaning of the phrase ‘tone deaf’. Lol 
    There’s a bit of a prescedent set for other halves: accompanying but not playing or doing anything and not a forum member (and esp if driving you) then fine and nothing to pay. 

Other halves playing and or contributing etc should pay at the “other rate” unless they want a studio session slot a la @Route66 - but she’s a member now so pays in her own right ;)
    Blackjack said:
    There’s a bit of a prescedent set for other halves: accompanying but not playing or doing anything and not a forum member (and esp if driving you) then fine and nothing to pay. 

Other halves playing and or contributing etc should pay at the “other rate” unless they want a studio session slot a la @Route66 - but she’s a member now so pays in her own right ;)
    In that case, please could you put my hubby Pete on the list to be there as my driver and roadie. He is not a forum member and definitely won’t be playing or singing or anything! Whilst he enjoys listening to music, he does not have a musical bone in his body!! 
    Blackjack said:
    Blackjack said:

In that case, please could you put my hubby Pete on the list to be there as my driver and roadie. He is not a forum member and definitely won’t be playing or singing or anything! Whilst he enjoys listening to music, he does not have a musical bone in his body!! 
    No problem! 
    Still 7 slots on the main session on this one! Roll up roll up!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Ok, this year’s Water Rats was when I didn’t know what was wrong with me other than a I felt crap and knackered all the time.  Since then I’ve had to give up all gigs, open mics and all rehearsals and all music stuff has been on hold, bar the odd playing of a couple of songs at home before I get knackered, since medical science worked it out :)

so I wasn’t planning on signing up for next years one, as I don’t know what the future holds.  But I’ve come to the conclusion f*** it, sign up and see how I feel in 8 months time when hopefully the prognosis is better. :)

so so count me in, and it will give me a little thing to aim and practice for.

i’ll paypal When I get home this afternoon
    steve
    sev112 said:
    Ok, this year’s Water Rats was when I didn’t know what was wrong with me other than a I felt crap and knackered all the time.  Since then I’ve had to give up all gigs, open mics and all rehearsals and all music stuff has been on hold, bar the odd playing of a couple of songs at home before I get knackered, since medical science worked it out :)

so I wasn’t planning on signing up for next years one, as I don’t know what the future holds.  But I’ve come to the conclusion f*** it, sign up and see how I feel in 8 months time when hopefully the prognosis is better. :)

so so count me in, and it will give me a little thing to aim and practice for.

i’ll paypal When I get home this afternoon
    steve
    Done!