Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2 - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• With regards to gear, will there be plenty of amps and stuff kicking about for us me to plug into, or shall I lug my own one down? Did fine without an amp last time, but not sure who's bringing what this time around?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 1977
    edited July 2018
    LuttiS said:
    @modellista ;; said:
    And bring loads of cool kit as well. 
    On that note, I'm going to suggest/insist that at 11.30am on Sunday in the "acoustic" room we can get together some of the best guitars and related kit and have a bit of show and tell. If anyone's bringing anything expensive, handmade, rare, famous, or just loaded with sentimental value, drop me a PM and let's get it included. 
    Cool. I think the show and tell was missing from the last Sasquatch, bar what goodies @CustomPedalBoards bought last time. 

I'll be bringing my new(ish) Kustom 36 Coupe.. haven't had a chance to properly put it through its paces so good opportunity. If people have Fender HRD/Blackfacy types, wouldn't mind comparing it as anecdotal evidence suggests the coupe does better than these.. would like to see for myself, or if HRD owners would like to try it an let me know what they think..
    Only got it back (bought it broken) this week, and love it so far on super quiet 5 mins before dinner time.. 
    I've been wondering what to bring. At the Woking jam I lugged my Blues Deluxe, set it up and hardly used it. I'm happy to bring it, though if you would like me to @LuttiS . The alternative is to bring my Jet City Custom 22 head and oversized 1x12 cab. It's not as refined, though, and it's a bit of a one-trick metal pony...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    McToot said:
    LuttiS said:
    @modellista ;; said:
    On that note, I'm going to suggest/insist that at 11.30am on Sunday in the "acoustic" room we can get together some of the best guitars and related kit and have a bit of show and tell. If anyone's bringing anything expensive, handmade, rare, famous, or just loaded with sentimental value, drop me a PM and let's get it included. 
    Cool. I think the show and tell was missing from the last Sasquatch, bar what goodies @CustomPedalBoards bought last time. 

I'll be bringing my new(ish) Kustom 36 Coupe.. haven't had a chance to properly put it through its paces so good opportunity. If people have Fender HRD/Blackfacy types, wouldn't mind comparing it as anecdotal evidence suggests the coupe does better than these.. would like to see for myself, or if HRD owners would like to try it an let me know what they think..
    Only got it back (bought it broken) this week, and love it so far on super quiet 5 mins before dinner time.. 
    I've been wondering what to bring. At the Woking jam I lugged my Blues Deluxe, set it up and hardly used it. I'm happy to bring it, though if you would like me to @LuttiS . The alternative is to bring my Jet City Custom 22 head and oversized 1x12 cab. It's not as refined, though, and it's a bit of a one-trick metal pony...
    Your call - I'd be happy just for you to have a go and get an opinion - I'm not fussed, just curious as people keep shouting these names about and how good/bad etc.

Mind you, i'd quite like a go on a Jet City... so maybe that :)
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    mrkb said:

Hopefully I should get some time tomorrow to drop a few messages to people I'm playing with to discuss how best to deliver the songs. @Bridgehouse, have we got an up to date list yet? Apologies if I've missed it but I've checked all the threads and not seen it. If you're running out of time to do this, Dropbox me the spreadsheet and I'll do it myself. 

@Legionreturns - if I can help with anything to deliver the best jam weekend yet, let me know. 

I won’t be up there until Sat AM as I don’t get back from hols until late Thursday, then back to work on Friday- so need to assemble kit and last practice on Friday night.

@modellista are you bringing the satin black vela? I’m tempted to get one - would love to check it out.

I’ll bring a Fractal AX8 and Atomic CLR if people want to try/ compare to their modeller.

im really looking forward to a 2 day jam session, hope I can mix drumming and guitaring time (spent most of last event drumming).

Would like to spend some time working on how to evolve a chord progression during a jam (ie make something beyond a 1-4-5 12 bar) if anyone has the time and wants to do similar. Have always struggled with this, at other jams it’s either been bits of songs that people know or 12 bar, would love to be able to make up and develop other chord sequences that work.
    I remember ogling your reclaimed Vela @mrkb last time, if you're considering a satin as well I'd be happy to bring it so you can have a crack. Also the WezV gold top will be making the trip. Last time the Katana 50 came in handy for the jam room, if that's of any interest to anybody I could bring that again. I'm also considering bringing a Palmer Drei which could be handy for the studio live room. @Legionreturns - there were a few guest amps in the live room last time, do you want some this time or does Bob have enough?

regarding chord progressions for jams, one thing that occurs to me would be cool is a long-form jam, maybe hanging on Am for a while, then modulating to D occasionally, then adding a cadence of F-G-Am. That could eventually end up a 12-bar but take a long time to get there. 

Also you could spice spice it up with substitutions - see how many unique chords we can get in one progression whilst still being possible to solo over in Am pentatonic. How about this -

Am-D-C-Bm-Dm-Em-F-G

or variations thereof. 

then you could change key in 5ths up/4ths down

Em-A-G-F#m-Am-Bm-C-D

That could go on indefinitely. You could spend a few bars on each chord and it could get very messy indeed!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickersticker Frets: 868
    My problem is going to be what gear to bring and what to leave behind ... how many guitars do you guys normally bring and are people taking pedalboards for the jam ?
    A don't think there's a rule, but I would have thought two guitars and a small pedal board would be a sensible maximum.  

I know there was some talk of banning pedal boards but I can't see how it takes any longer than a few seconds to plug a board in, as long as it's ready to go and no tweaking is needed.  I'm going to need some basic effects which will all fit onto a Pedaltrain Nano.  Perhaps enormous boards are unwise.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Nah. Bring your boards. 

Some of of us are sleeping in the venue looking after all your kit so bring what you like. Bob has plenty of room.. want to bring 10 Guitars 4 amps and a pedalboard? No problem. You’ll have more of an issue parking your transit.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    Given the back line in the studio is ‘fixed’ - in other words the same amps are used throughout the day, pedals make sense if you rely on lots of drive. Also, there’s fairly limited time to dial amps in....
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I haven't really followed this as won't be at Huddersfield, would certainly be up for seeing everyone at  Northampton in November.

I can't really do overnighters (bedwetter : ) but anywhere south of say Nottingham is doable for me.  Everyone is different but the format of woking, learn some songs turn up, have a laugh, meet everyone, play some, songs watch the other people play, have the odd practice, try everyones great stuff was perfect.
    Someone mentioned about having an up to date attendee list.  I thought I'd save the organisers the bother.

I've been through all the threads that I can find.  Based on signing up for songs, payment, being an organiser, or actually owning the studio :) these are the nailed-on attendees (26 in total):

@mrkb, ;@vasselmeyer , @ArchtopDave, @LuttiS, @modellista, @sticker, @TimmyO, @shuikit, @guitars4you, @Phil_aka_Pip, @darthed1981, @Snags, @pmbomb, @SteveRobinson, @TheOtherDennis, @McToot, @fandango, @richardhomer, @Alnico, @Dontgiveupyourdayjob, @bloodandtears, ;@Bridgehouse, @Legionreturns, @Sasquatch_Bob, Legion's YBTB pal, and Matt the superstar drummer.

edited August 2018
    Surprisingly enough there are also 17 who have expressed an interest but it's not clear to me if it's confirmed if they're coming.  I'll tag them here to see whether they can make it.  Would be great to drum up a bit more business.  If you get tagged here guys, please let me know if you can make it down.  Looks like being a great party.  And it's this coming weekend!!!

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Hey @modellista i wish i could but i'm doing this https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/mikes-great-golf-challenge-fundraising-page-3

on Friday so the rest of the weekend will be spent lying in an ice bath :-) 
  • @modellista cheers for doing that "Dominic" ...makes life a whole lot simpler! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Pretty sure i've seen that TAdodger, DiscoStu, righthandred, and Dr.Widdley have pulled out for various reasons. Can't remember about the others.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    @modellista ;

I've only kept a watching brief on this since BH & LR took on the organising.  I think some of your "nailed on" attendees wont be there (G4U for example) and that most of your maybe list have confirmed that they wont be there either.

The best measure of who's going is the names on the playlist.  Those people have invested effort and credibility so will generally be there subject to last minute issues arising (assume one or two will have to pull out last minute).

There'll be one or two more who decide last minute, or who just want to meet up, chat (& drink) off the setlist.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9793
    edited August 2018
    Can I bring:

Acoustic archtop with built-in bug
    Semi acoustic 335-style
    Pedalboard (requires mains power)

EDIT happy to let anyone else use pedalboard who wants to, or even to try the guitars
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Can I bring:

Acoustic archtop with built-in bug
    Semi acoustic 335-style
    Pedalboard (requires mains power)

I hope so, because I'm planning on bringing a couple of electrics, acoustic, basic pedal board (also needs mains), stands, combo amp, and "general box'o'gubbins" (leads, strings, odds and sods all just in case).

If most of it doesn't get used, that's fine, but it will be a bugger if any of it is needed and it's 5 hours away :)
  • Last call for anyone needing lift from west suffolk (Sat AM) and back (Sun PM) or anywhere on the way ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    TTony said:
    @modellista ;;;

I've only kept a watching brief on this since BH & LR took on the organising.  I think some of your "nailed on" attendees wont be there (G4U for example) and that most of your maybe list have confirmed that they wont be there either.

The best measure of who's going is the names on the playlist.  Those people have invested effort and credibility so will generally be there subject to last minute issues arising (assume one or two will have to pull out last minute).

There'll be one or two more who decide last minute, or who just want to meet up, chat (& drink) off the setlist.
    G4U is on the playlist - he put his hand up for JJ Cale on June 16th.  But if he's told you privately that he's not coming I'll amend the list.  Do you have any knowledge of any others on the "nailed on" list that aren't coming?  Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    LuttiS said:
    Pretty sure i've seen that TAdodger, DiscoStu, righthandred, and Dr.Widdley have pulled out for various reasons. Can't remember about the others.
    Cheers, will amend list.

yup i'm defo coming.
    what was the date again?

:)

"Dominic" 
    I'd forgotten about that.  Wish you had too! :)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    LuttiS said:
    Cheers, will amend list.

Yes, sadly I just couldn't make it work for that weekend. Still a bit gutted tbh but, if there's another one in Huddersfield, I will be there if humanly possible!

Hope you all have a great time.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    edited August 2018
    drwiddly said:
    LuttiS said:
    Cheers, will amend list.

Yes, sadly I just couldn't make it work for that weekend. Still a bit gutted tbh but, if there's another one in Huddersfield, I will be there if humanly possible!

Hope you all have a great time.

Unfortunately I am 'entertaining' another way at the weekend. Jane's rele's from Canada dropping in on their latest tour of Europe, and again on the way back at the end of September (just in case there are plans for another jam).
  • This is from January, but other than the date it's all still relevant 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • stickersticker Frets: 868
    Is there a place nearby to get bottled water and something to eat ? 
    And what time are people getting to the studio for , I’m happy to help set up and stuff as I will probably drive up ridiculously early on Saturday morning to avoid traffic. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    I suggest we aim to start at 12.30.

So arrival anytime around 12 would be best I reckon. If you want to get there earlier then cool. 

If you want to copy @modellista and grab a granny the night before then cool. 

Otherwise - I'll plan to do my normal formal briefing at 12.30 - after that, there is no more formal stuff.
    sticker said:
    Is there a place nearby to get bottled water and something to eat ? 
    And what time are people getting to the studio for , I’m happy to help set up and stuff as I will probably drive up ridiculously early on Saturday morning to avoid traffic. 
    Yeah there are a couple of shops/petrol stations within a few mins walk
This discussion has been closed.