Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Leicester (and Leicester-ish) folks - the tricky second outing - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Leicester (and Leicester-ish) folks - the tricky second outing

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    I’ll bring a bass - do you know if the room you’ve booked has got a bass amp in it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'll be there too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1111
    I’ll bring a bass - do you know if the room you’ve booked has got a bass amp in it?
    I did ask for one, so should be cool. 
  • JEMJEM Frets: 76
    I'll be there.
  • DazzaDazza Frets: 90
    ATM should be there - looking forward to it!
  • I’ll bring a bass - do you know if the room you’ve booked has got a bass amp in it?
    From what I recall of Quad, every room has two guitar amps, a bass amp, a microphone stand with PA-type speakers and a basic drum kit. A couple of rooms also have a mixing desk. Things may have changed, but that's what I recall, anyway.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    From what I recall of Quad, every room has two guitar amps, a bass amp, a microphone stand with PA-type speakers and a basic drum kit. A couple of rooms also have a mixing desk. Things may have changed, but that's what I recall, anyway.
    Yeah, that’s my recollection as well. I wasn’t sure if they’d changed stuff post covid tho. A few studios I’ve been to have changed hands/swapped stuff about and are different now. 

Quad is big enough to deal with plenty of amps in each room tho I imagine. 

Just means I don’t have to lug a big bass amp over, which is good. 
  • Ah, I can't promise I'm right, because I've not been for 4 or 5 years, so post-covid that may have changed, but it was certainly the case pre-covid. 
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • I can't make this I'm afraid, maybe next time.
    I can't make this I'm afraid, maybe next time.
    No worries - hopefully see you next time
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Defo on for the next one, depending on shifts etc 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Boromedic said:
    Defo on for the next one, depending on shifts etc 
    Excellent - I’ll get another date sorted asap
  • Running a tad late on getting over, but will be with everyone ASAP. 
    Thanks to everyone who came over - really enjoyed this evening. Extra thanks at @TheOtherDennis and @Bridgehouse for picking up bass and drum duties!

Will book another date for the week after Christmas tomorrow and let everyone know.

Cheers!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Thanks for organising it Nik. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • You're welcome, Nik, thanks for sorting it all.

Couple of things, though.

First, you need to let us chip in for the cost, you can't carry it all yourself, especially if you're going to wind up paying extra for drum sticks and cymbal hire (did you pick those sticks up at the end of the night?)

And second, any chance you could liaise with Leicester City and make sure they arrange an away game for the next night? Traffic was a touch heavy on the way home tonight. ;-) :)
  • Thanks for hosting Nik, was good to get out and play alongside others for the first time in a couple of years. 

Completely agree with @TheOtherDennis about letting us contribute to the cost -should definitely be shared out. 

Looking forward to the next one. :+1: 
    You're welcome, Nik, thanks for sorting it all.

Couple of things, though.

First, you need to let us chip in for the cost, you can't carry it all yourself, especially if you're going to wind up paying extra for drum sticks and cymbal hire (did you pick those sticks up at the end of the night?)

And second, any chance you could liaise with Leicester City and make sure they arrange an away game for the next night? Traffic was a touch heavy on the way home tonight. ;-) :)
    Ah. Sorry about the traffic. I’ll make sure my people talk to their people :)
    Thanks for hosting Nik, was good to get out and play alongside others for the first time in a couple of years. 

Completely agree with @TheOtherDennis about letting us contribute to the cost -should definitely be shared out. 

Looking forward to the next one. :+1: 
    Great to see you mate - thanks again for coming over 
  • JEMJEM Frets: 76
    Thanks Nik for organising the session and being so supportive.

I'm afraid it all got a bit too loud for both my crappy old amp and my crappy old ears but I had a great time all the same.

John
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Sounds like you had a good time. I can bring cymbals and sticks for the drum kit next time and am happy to drum.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Sounds like you had a good time. I can bring cymbals and sticks for the drum kit next time and am happy to drum.
    Brilliant - that would be great. We had a really enjoyable couple of hours - look forward to seeing you at the next one 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I'll also try and keep some time for the next one spare (it's hard with 12 hour shifts but I'll do me best ). Happy to jam and drum also if anyone wants some time on a guitar or break or whatever. It'll be good to meet others, have a jam and a giggle :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• DazzaDazza Frets: 90
    Nik thanks for organising - chaps, good to meet you all for the first time (except Nigel which was the second random time) - really enjoyed it, a bit like entering the Big Brother house when I walked in :-) great vibe and a good sense of playing and letting folks do what they do... drums and bass were fab plus the mix desk handled perfectly by Roland, great! Next time round share the cost, onwards and upwards!
  • I'd just like to echo everyone else's comments on thanking Nik for organising it.  Everyone was very friendly and it wasn't intimidating in the slightest.  I'd recommend anyone thinking "am I good enough?" to give it a try.  Playing with a real drummer, bassist and other guitarists is very different and SO much more enjoyable.  Very glad I made the effort to travel up from the other side of Birmingham.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chomer75 said:
    I'd just like to echo everyone else's comments on thanking Nik for organising it.  Everyone was very friendly and it wasn't intimidating in the slightest.  I'd recommend anyone thinking "am I good enough?" to give it a try.  Playing with a real drummer, bassist and other guitarists is very different and SO much more enjoyable.  Very glad I made the effort to travel up from the other side of Birmingham.
    Didn't realise you had travelled that far! Really appreciate the effort. It was great to meet you and have a jam. Hope to see you again. 

Cheers!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    @chomer75 How about organising something similar in your area?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    @chomer75 How about organising something similar in your area?
    No doubt that's something I could look into doing in the future. However, to be 100% honest with where I'm currently at with my playing, it's not something I'd feel comfortable doing. 
    Big thanks to @ellwood for organising.. hope you enjoyed your go on the bass!

I'm not sure if you were talking about Dennis, but I'm certainly not a real drummer - not played for some time. @mrkb is a lot more accomplished than me - I'll stick to the bass when he's around!

Hope everyone felt encouraged - Jam sessions like that really can improve your playing and musical context so much quicker than practise at home so keep coming and taking part! Anyone else reading this thread and worrying about ability level - don't. Just come along and have a go - there is no such thing as not good enough and nobody will criticise you in the slightest. If anyone did they'd have me and @ellwood to deal with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Also meant to say - well done to everyone who played yesterday as well. Especially to those who hadn't been to a jam or a studio, or any sort of playing out of the house at all - well done on making the first step into the big wide world!