Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Notifications - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Notifications

What's Hot
Anyone else having problems opening up notifications?

Every time I try the page times out. Been like this for nearly a week when I try.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Can you describe a bit more clearly what you're doing? Are you opening them from the popup on the page, or emails?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    Click on the pop up on the page, then when I click to see all the page times out. Will a screen shot of the page help?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Deijavoo said:
    Will a screen shot of the page help?
    always

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Does that pic actually help or is it more likely an issue with my phone?
    Issue on my iMac too so can't be the phone's fault.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Apologies for the radio silence on this - @digitalscream is currently rather busy with some other forum issues, so probably hasn't seen this or had chance to investigate.

It's odd that its on your phone and your Mac, but it's even odder that no-one else is reporting the problem.

Just so I (we) understand exactly, you get the server error message screen whenever you click on the little icon between your avatar pic and the inbox icon?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Certainly I can't reproduce this on my machine.
  • For some reason, I've stopped receiving email notifications on bookmarked threads...they stopped on 16th Oct.

I've also stopped getting 'on site' indications of mentions in threads.

Is this affecting anyone else?
  • I'm not getting any email notifications any more, either. I had whitelisted the Fretboard sender because they always went to spam, no I don't get any emails at all.

R.
  • @digitalkettle and @robinbowes - have you checked that your notification preferences? Screenshots would be helpful if they look right.

@Deijavoo - that does look like a site problem, but I can't glean enough information about it from that screenshot. What would certainly help is the exact date and time that it occurred, and your IP address at the time (go to http://whatsmyip.org/ to get that). I appreciate that's going to be pretty bloody difficult to get for the last one, so...next time it happens, if you could post that info here (or in a PM if you don't want your IP address public), I'll see what I can do.
    <space for hire>
  • Yeah, everything selected. I used to get notifications (when I whitelisted the sender) but they stopped.

R.
  • Yeah, everything selected. I used to get notifications (when I whitelisted the sender) but they stopped.

R.
    When was the last notification you got?
    <space for hire>
  • I can't be sure, but a search of my mail reveals I received one on 16th Oct. and nothing since.

R.
  • (from noreply@thefretboard.co.uk)
  • Same issue here, I stopped getting PM notifications to my Gmail account too, the last ones arrived on the 16th Oct, since then silence, despite some great help from @hywelg in the thread* I raised at the time.  I was going to update my thread, but thought maybe it was an issue down to my own incompetence, but it seems to be a bit more of a forum software issue ?

* http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/87434/pm-notifications-by-email#latest

* see advice on how to set spam preferences on Gmail to allow notifications through, they always got sent to the spam folder, despite tFB address being in my contacts list.  Hopefully once things are restored to normal this filter preference will work gloriously, thanks hywelg

• OK, thanks. I did make a change to our DNS settings relating to emails a week or so ago, but nothing on 16th Oct. For completeness, our SPF record (which is used to determine whether a server is authorised to send email from a given domain) tests OK like this:

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=spf:thefretboard.co.uk:178.79.176.24&amp;run=toolpage

It passes all the tests, and those are the tests applied by GMail et al.

What I thought was odd is that you two both have totally different domains for your email, but it turns out that the servers are the same (Robin, you'll know what I mean here...I'm trying not to give anything away on your behalf).

However, I use the same service for my emails, and notifications are coming through fine. Weird in the extreme.
    <space for hire>
  • I can confirm that all the emails are being sent, so it's not a forum software issue. It's possible it's a configuration issue, which is on me, or it could be Google's black-box spam filtering algorithms at fault. It's very, very difficult to tell.

I'll work on it, and see what I can come up with.
    <space for hire>
  • I use Google apps for my domain, so it will indeed be the same servers as a regular gmail account.

Have you tried testing with swaks directly from the server? Any useful output from that?

R.
  • The only useful output from swaks was that the EHLO line was reporting a hostname different from the one specified in the PTR record for the server. I've changed that so that it matches now...let's see if it works...
    <space for hire>
  • OK, I've pretty much done all I can for this, based on these recommendations:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126

The only thing I haven't done is set the Precedence header to "bulk", because it's not actually bulk mail (it's effectively a mailing list, which is why the header is set to "list"). Given everything else, though, that wouldn't be enough alone to black-hole emails.
    <space for hire>
  • Months ago, I'd had to amend a filter in gmail to stop notifications ending up in 'spam'...but since the 16th Oct nothing has come through at all.

My notification prefs:
    http://i.imgur.com/0x0WI1w.jpg
    (can you see that? i'm new to imgur)

• Yep, I can see that. Have you had any notifications from this thread? They might be appearing now, but going into spam.
    <space for hire>
  • Lee, did you see my post above, you were probably typing one of your responses at the time, so I thought I would bring it to your attention.  It is the same MO for me.  Thanks for your help with this.  There is a bit about setting Gmail spam filters in the attached thread too, which may be of help to some.

• @ChrisMusic - I saw that, but I've set up the server and the forum software to comply with everything that Google's bulk-mail guidelines recommend. We aren't on any anti-spam blacklists either.

In short, everything should be working as of now. It may take a few days for Google to catch up, but here's the rub...I use GMail, and I haven't missed a single notification.
    <space for hire>
  • Yep, I can see that. Have you had any notifications from this thread? They might be appearing now, but going into spam.
    Nope...nuffink.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited November 2016
    No my @ChrisMusic didn't get a notification through either, strange...

digitalscream said: ... but here's the rub...I use GMail, and I haven't missed a single notification.

only one answer to that then ...        
    >-) >-)

TTony said:
    Apologies for the radio silence on this - @digitalscream is currently rather busy with some other forum issues, so probably hasn't seen this or had chance to investigate.

It's odd that its on your phone and your Mac, but it's even odder that no-one else is reporting the problem.

Just so I (we) understand exactly, you get the server error message screen whenever you click on the little icon between your avatar pic and the inbox icon?
    No worries at all, thanks for the help!

Yes, it is that icon and also when I click on my profile and try to access them from there too.
    @digitalkettle and @robinbowes - have you checked that your notification preferences? Screenshots would be helpful if they look right.

@Deijavoo - that does look like a site problem, but I can't glean enough information about it from that screenshot. What would certainly help is the exact date and time that it occurred, and your IP address at the time (go to http://whatsmyip.org/ to get that). I appreciate that's going to be pretty bloody difficult to get for the last one, so...next time it happens, if you could post that info here (or in a PM if you don't want your IP address public), I'll see what I can do.
    No it's pretty easy to get as it is every time I try to access them. So the last one was 2 minutes ago at 22:55. I'll PM you my IP.

Thanks again mate.
  • I'm also not getting emails about PMs. I'm on gmail too. It was working in October but nothing since then. Notifications on the site itself seem fine.