Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I've never really got...../Well have a listen to this then....... - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I've never really got...../Well have a listen to this then.......

What's Hot

Comments

• Pete Doherty...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Pete Doherty...
    Don't bother - he is without merit, believe me.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Pete Doherty...
    Would only play 1960's or earlier guitars and would smash them up when he was bored of them. 

I'd never get tired of punching him in the face. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    monquixote said: I'd never get tired of punching him in the face. 
    Do you mind? There's a queue ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    If anyone wants to post a Mark Knopfler track that doesn't want to make me poke myself in the eye with a broken biro I will give it a go. I get that he is a distinctive and skilled guitarist and have watched documentaries about him, read the Guitarist interviews,etc, but the songs are so bloody lifeless. I will grant Money for Nothing as a truly great guitar riff but it is attached to a horrible production and a hateful lyric. If anyone is up to the challenge I shall check back in later ( insert smiley, as I haven't found out where they are yet and hate change).
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    If anyone wants to post a Mark Knopfler track that doesn't want to make me poke myself in the eye with a broken biro I will give it a go. I get that he is a distinctive and skilled guitarist and have watched documentaries about him, read the Guitarist interviews,etc, but the songs are so bloody lifeless. I will grant Money for Nothing as a truly great guitar riff but it is attached to a horrible production and a hateful lyric. If anyone is up to the challenge I shall check back in later ( insert smiley, as I haven't found out where they are yet and hate change).
    You CAN'T not like this song, it's physically impossible. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013

I've always though this made Mark Knopfler a passable budget range Gilmour.  Not phenomenal but certainly not as grating as his contrived Chet Atkins tribute. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb_Jzgnrpv8

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    Lixarto said:
    monquixote said: I'd never get tired of punching him in the face. 
    Do you mind? There's a queue ;)
    When a man is tired of hitting Pete Doherty in the face with a large wrench, he is tired of life.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    @randomhandclaps, you broke the rule. :P
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013

Blah!!!!!  Kid's distracted me and I spent an age typing.  I shall repent.

Knopfler certainly didn't deserve two videos.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ddlooping said:
    @randomhandclaps, you broke the rule. :P

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Looks like the first vid was posted while he was writing his.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Ok then, I've unFacepalmed you. :)
    IanSavage;12119" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

If anyone wants to post a Mark Knopfler track that doesn't want to make me poke myself in the eye with a broken biro I will give it a go. I get that he is a distinctive and skilled guitarist and have watched documentaries about him, read the Guitarist interviews,etc, but the songs are so bloody lifeless.

I will grant Money for Nothing as a truly great guitar riff but it is attached to a horrible production and a hateful lyric.

If anyone is up to the challenge I shall check back in later ( insert smiley, as I haven't found out where they are yet and hate change).

You CAN'T not like this song, it's physically impossible. 

got a not available for mobile message on the link but found another version, which I'm assuming is pretty much the same. I didn't hate it but my first thought is that there is a good 3 minute song in there stretched out by some moody bollocks. I will come back to it and see if it grows on me.

randomhandclaps;12121" said:
    I've always though this made Mark Knopfler a passable budget range Gilmour.  Not phenomenal but certainly not as grating as his contrived Chet Atkins tribute. 
    I know that's an example of why I don't like him so have given up on the opening bars ( does he do any songs without moody intros? ).
  • No-one could call the endless annoyance of Walk Of Life's intro moody - it put's me in a mood, but moody it is not.
    And before I go eat my tea apologies to @randomhandclaps and @iansavage as I feel this may come across as ungrateful. Its not, honest.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    If you don't like Tunnel Of Love then there is no hope, but give it a try...

Or possibly Telegraph Road

These two songs are Knopfler's greatest in my opinion.

I agree about most of his stuff post-Alchemy. I don't like Money For Nothing, or most of the Brothers In Arms album apart from the title track, and I don't really like his solo stuff. (The last Dire Straits album is more like a Knopfler solo album too in my opinion.)

Apart from him, I agree with everyone posted on the thread so far. In fact, I really don't get "guitarists", I think. I listen to music as a complete entity, and I don't really care for hearing someone play their instrument as an end in itself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    edited August 2013

eric, try this

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

edited August 2013
    The rule guys! Read the rules! ;-) (although you're right about Telegraph Road, but Eric won't like the moodiness ;-) )
    Who was that? Grrr
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
    Got about 2 minutes into that Dire Straits vid and that was enough for me.  I remember years and years ago,a mate and myself were very stoned and once got right into the Makin' Movies album . Somehow managed to convince ourselves it was a cross between The Psychedelic Furs, the Only ones and Television... Deary me >:D<
    I had a facepalm for not liking MK. I only just found out today that's not a sexual thing.
    I think part of the problem with impressing someone with a YouTube clip is that it has to be a bit whizz bang all dancing elephants and maybe MK doesn't do that. Perhaps all that moody bollocks just has to grow on you.
    tFB Trader
    OK I'll play. 

Richie Kotzen 

I only know him as a bloke who has a really nice sig Tele, but to my knowledge I don't think I've heard him play. (Unless he's in a famous band I didn't know about)
    OK I'll play. 

Richie Kotzen 

I only know him as a bloke who has a really nice sig Tele, but to my knowledge I don't think I've heard him play. (Unless he's in a famous band I didn't know about)

He was in Poison for a brief spell...but not during the urmm, 'classic' period ;-)
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    OK I'll play. 

Richie Kotzen 

I LOVE Kotzen's 'What Is' album...

tFB Trader
    He was in Poison for a brief spell...but not during the urmm, 'classic' period ;-)
    I refuse to believe Poison have a "classic period"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
    edited August 2013
    never really got Prog, although I do have a soft spot for some king Crimson, 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Can I add Roy Buchanan. Don't really know any of his stuff, I remember not loving the little that i heard, i remember a scratchy tone and dodgy bends. What am I missing.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    John Martyn. For some reason I've never clicked with his stuff. I love all his contemporaries; bert jansch, ralph mctell and so on.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

John Martyn eh...Is posting the Whistle Test performance of "May You Never" too obvious?