Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). That dude Andy from pro guitar shop - FX Reviews Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

That dude Andy from pro guitar shop

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    What PGS Andy, Pete Thorne, and Mike Hermans should really teach us is that a good player can get a great sound out of any decent gear so we should be a lot less hung up on gear and more focussed on our playing. 

In a way yes, but until any of them could do a slapback delay or sound like a Big Muff through a POG purely on technique alone, there will always be a need for pedals (and demos thereof)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    edited April 2017
    Nah, it's all in the fingers man ... (at 37:39)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What PGS Andy, Pete Thorne, and Mike Hermans should really teach us is that a good player can get a great sound out of any decent gear so we should be a lot less hung up on gear and more focussed on our playing. 

I love checking out Boss demos by these guys and everyone is like, "WOW! How did you get it to sound so good? What are your settings? Are they modded?" 

Whereas on a newer, hand made pedal video by them everyone is just like, "wow, that *pedal* sounds so much better than <previous best sounding pedal>. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Electro-Harmonix demonstrator, Bill Ruppert, is another complete mutha. 

Let's face it. It is the job of these demonstrators to instil the desire to purchase into us - the potential customers. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

PGS Andy's videos are always worth a watch, but only if you're wealthy enough to buy everything he demos :(

I looked at one Earthquaker Devices pedal for fun (Acapulco Gold) because I knew full well I didn't want, or need it.

Now I do, plus half a dozen other EQD pedals I saw before I managed to close YouTube down.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • AxeInsightAxeInsight Frets: 17
    edited September 2017
    I've seen a few of Andy's videos a while ago, and his playing is pretty sharp and versatile, so I guess he wasn't wrong in his career choice because that's kinda what you need in order to be a good demonstrator.

Max

Edit: Actually I remember the wrong guy, the guy who's playing was pretty good was the other PGS demonstrator,Scotty I think his name is.
  • Watching Andy taught me to loosen up and get back to learning song by ear. He can jam out just about anything, love watching his videos.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I liked it when Andy used to point at the pedals.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 309
    There's also Joel from Chicago Music Exchange:

e.g. this one from 5min on.

or 

I tend to like the kinds of things he plays.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Matt_McG said:
    There's also Joel from Chicago Music Exchange:

I tend to like the kinds of things he plays.
    Shame his guitar has melted.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1012
    R.j. ronquillo is another great demo guy
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761

From a business perspective if I owned a guitar company I wouldn't be out there demoing and promoting other companies guitars. You don't or didn't see Paul Reed Smith etc out there playing, endorsing and promoting other manufacturers guitars. Business is business. 

There's a big difference between specifying, buying, and distributing consignments of guitars to employing, designing and manufacturing them with your own factory. 

This is is nothing personal against Rob, I understand he is a very nice guy but I am just offering my own opinion(s) which only matters to me really. I just wonder how many others have found the same thing over time.

Back to the demos at at the end of the day it all comes down to the perspectives of the audience or market, and 'there is no accounting for taste'. 

Sorry if if I am coming across a bit grumpy
    I think you make a valid point - and that is a bit strange...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Holy Necro-bump Batman !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback