Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). That dude Andy from pro guitar shop - FX Reviews Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

That dude Andy from pro guitar shop

What's Hot
That dude Andy from pro guitar shop does this best demo's no? His playing is so tasteful and show cases what he is demoing really well. 

I've never watched one of his demo's and thought anything other than 'I need that' - then again that's generally the case with any demo. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7928
    Pretty much why I avoid his demos. He makes me buy stuff I don't need and that doesn't work for me. But it sounded so good when he used it.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 897

Check out demos by a guy called Knobs. AMAZING demos.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • d8md8m Frets: 2430
    I like the Pete Thorn demos, problem is he makes everything sound good.

DS-1:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Pete Thorn and Mike Hermans for the classic stuff, Dennis Keyzer for the far out stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1385
    Have you not heard of Rob Chapman ;-)
    How very rock and roll
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    I like turtles, and Burgs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    Harry Maes (Maas?) is very good too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • xsheqxsheq Frets: 71
    Corvus said:
    Yes, but his rock face is just...well...a bit close to a sex face.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5102
    sheq said:
    Corvus said:
    Yes, but his rock face is just...well...a bit close to a sex face.
    Oddly my gf says my sex face is too rock. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    d8m said:

DS-1:

damn you rarely hear a DS-1 sounding like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EdBoogieEdBoogie Frets: 39
    edited August 2016
    Ain't nobody messin' with Greg Koch ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    EdBoogie said:
    TBH I like Greg Koch as much for the oblique references to how many kids he's got & things like that !
  • gusman2x said:

Check out demos by a guy called Knobs. AMAZING demos.

I don't like these demos, I can never tell what the hell he's done as most of the pedals seem to be noise boxes and there isn't any talking. 

Saying you create rainbows as you play doesn't count! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • d8m said:

DS-1:

damn you rarely hear a DS-1 sounding like that.

It's a really good pedal. Fussy bugger to dial in. 

Note,into a solid state amp too! 

I like ds-1s, they're good at what they do and are great into a Marshall.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    Greg Koch is my favourite.  Very inventive playing, and I enjoy his eccentricities. 

Andy from PGS is excellent, but apparently, a lot of sound processing goes on to make those pedals sound so good. .....allegedly..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5819
    EdBoogie said:
    +1
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Andy makes playing with a pick look like its for mugs, look at how he does tremolo picking in the spring part

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    edited August 2016
    Playing without a pick is fine if you have the claws of a bag lady.  I'm a beefy six foot chap, but have fingernails like a newborn child, very thin and fragile. 

I can get them to a good picking length, but they always break and split, so it's not a reliable method for me. 

I love to fingerpick, when my paper thin nails allow. The rest of the time, I use a V-Pick. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlin said:
    Playing without a pick is fine if you have the claws of a bag lady.  I'm a beefy six foot chap, but have fingernails like a newborn child, very thin and fragile. 

I can get them to a good picking length, but they always break and split, so it's not a reliable method for me. 

I love to fingerpick, when my paper thin nails allow. The rest of the time, I use a V-Pick. 
    When I was a kid my guitar teacher used to make me eat a jelly cube to help build up my nails. Never knew if it really did anything really but I used to enjoy eating it LOL
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1772
    Just Nick is the man. Good demos and articulates stuff well that doesn't come over great in the demo.

PGS Andy is awesome, but makes everything, and I mean everything sound awesome... Even a Rainbow Machine FFS. But that's his job so you can't exactly hold it against him.

Burgs was a big favorite of mine until he went commercial. I just don't trust any demo's that are paid for, for obvious reasons. Despite the fact I really like the dude's style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Have you not heard of Rob Chapman ;-)
    Yes, he can make almost anything sound crap...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    edited November 2016
    juansolo said:
    Just Nick is the man. Good demos and articulates stuff well that doesn't come over great in the demo.

PGS Andy is awesome, but makes everything, and I mean everything sound awesome... Even a Rainbow Machine FFS. But that's his job so you can't exactly hold it against him.

Burgs was a big favorite of mine until he went commercial. I just don't trust any demo's that are paid for, for obvious reasons. Despite the fact I really like the dude's style.
    +1 for Just Nick. When he talks, he actually has something interesting to say that is pertinent to the pedal being demo'd and gives reasons for his opinions.

Burgs is a great player but now makes everything sound great.  Same with Mike Hermans - I watch their demos but I'm always a bit dubious about how marvellous they always sound.

Greg Koch is entertaining, Pete Thorn is a bit too serious, and Rob Chapman is now a bit boring and I'm not a fan of his playing style.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I've learnt a few tunes the proper way off his videos...example...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    What PGS Andy, Pete Thorne, and Mike Hermans should really teach us is that a good player can get a great sound out of any decent gear so we should be a lot less hung up on gear and more focussed on our playing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
    andyoz said:
    I've learnt a few tunes the proper way off his videos...example...

I have too and i've always known the main riff from Message in a Bottle (MIAB?) but never really known the chords after it or the variations he shows in that lesson.

Thanks for posting that.
    I am constantly amazed at how accurately he plays everything he records and how he really nails the sounds he trying to recreate.

Dream Job.
  • eldarvanyareldarvanyar Frets: 32
    edited January 2017
    I really like Andy's videos. 
    He comes across really well, with great feel and professional attitude. They are really well filmed and you really get to hear the tones of the guitars. He helps to show them in their best light. 

As as some one mentioned Rob Chapman, I'm sorry to to say I have become really bored with Rob Chapman's playing on the Andertons and YouTube videos over the last 3+ years. Am I allowed to say that? 

I have become bored with the consistent  shredding and not playing any different genres that may work better with the type of guitars he is demoing. 

If it's a shredders guitar then fine as that is the market it is aimed at. But that's a limited market, a bit like the old hot hatch boy racer days, been there done that. You grow out of it eventually, although some don't and it's all a bit odd to see a 30 - 60 year old still trying around in a not hatch. 

Another thing that I have grown bored with or puts me off is the 'I own a guitar company' line which he loves to throw in when he can.  It just comes across as very smug, like the kid in the playground boasting about his father's big or fast whatever. I just cringe when I hear it now. 

From a business perspective if I owned a guitar company I wouldn't be out there demoing and promoting other companies guitars. You don't or didn't see Paul Reed Smith etc out there playing, endorsing and promoting other manufacturers guitars. Business is business. 

There's a big difference between specifying, buying, and distributing consignments of guitars to employing, designing and manufacturing them with your own factory. 

This is is nothing personal against Rob, I understand he is a very nice guy but I am just offering my own opinion(s) which only matters to me really. I just wonder how many others have found the same thing over time.

Back to the demos at at the end of the day it all comes down to the perspectives of the audience or market, and 'there is no accounting for taste'. 

Sorry if if I am coming across a bit grumpy
    'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited March 2017
    I love Just Nick's demos because he discusses everything right down to the final detail, which appeals to the autistic anal-retentiveness in me. The Nobs demos are great also. Speaking of nobs, Chapman's general wankery and smugness irritates me. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    I want to know where Andy gets those invisible plectrums.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    I love the fact that we have a review for Andy from PGS.

Can't help feeling it should go in "Other reviews" though ...
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 248
    I tend to watch a range of video reviews and also check written reviews. The professional reviewers know: how to play, what to play, how to set up the kit properly, and sometimes have other devices in the equipment chain. (I saw one Overdrive review where the professional, surprisingly, admitted using an attenuator and allowing him to drive the amp harder). I also find it useful to watch non-professional reviews as these tend to show what the kit could sound like.