Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The BBQ Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Go hotter than you think on chicken.
    400F / 205C is bang on to avoid rubbery skin. 

Lump wood burns faster than briquettes. Great for burgers and grilling and other hot stuff like chicken, but crap for low and slow. Have to keep refilling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Go hotter than you think on chicken.
    400F / 205C is bang on to avoid rubbery skin. 

Lump wood burns faster than briquettes. Great for burgers and grilling and other hot stuff like chicken, but crap for low and slow. Have to keep refilling.

Don't have a way to assess heat, but hopefully it'll work out. Might chuck a few unlit lumps in then, give it an extra kick. 

I think it's poor quality - it was outdoors and a few lumps have (noisily) exploded - I wonder if there is some moisture... 

So yeah, an experience for sure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Has the bbq got a lid?
  • Has the bbq got a lid?

Yes. Blessed lid. 
    Good!

If it's a whole chicken, then spatchcock first. It will cook far quicker and the extremities won't dry out as much.

If you have an injector, make a 50/50 butter and olive oil mix and inject that into the breast meat. If not - then put little slits into the skin and shove some butter under the skin. Really helps the breast meat stay moist and the skin goes lovely and crisp.
  • Good!

If it's a whole chicken, then spatchcock first. It will cook far quicker and the extremities won't dry out as much.

If you have an injector, make a 50/50 butter and olive oil mix and inject that into the breast meat. If not - then put little slits into the skin and shove some butter under the skin. Really helps the breast meat stay moist and the skin goes lovely and crisp.

Great advice, but I was given legs and thighs. Mostly done - good char, temp checked and fully cooked, don't seem dry.

Happy! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Nice.

Handful of hickory wood chips works well with chicken too. Not too much though or it can go bitter.
  • Nice.

Handful of hickory wood chips works well with chicken too. Not too much though or it can go bitter.

Noted. 

Broadly successful. Chicken may have benefitted from another minute or two, but it wasn't dry and tasted good at least. 

Looking forward to getting back to my usual bbq... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    wonder when Tim's neighbours are going to post.....................................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    edited June 2022
    Can't go wrong with pork for a first go. It's very forgiving.
    Yeah I am hoping so. I'm hoping to be able to freeze some portions to use for sandwiches etc. 

Does anyone have experience with Big K Lumpwood? I have only previously used Weber briquettes. Found them good, but my local butcher is selling the Big K stuff at the moment.
    I've used BigK lumpwood and briquettes a few times, they are good. I have just taken delivery of 20kg of briquettes from Amazon for about £23 there was a decent offer.

Planning on using them this afternoon for a roast, smoked chicken.
  • Started a pork shoulder this morning as we’ve got family round later and just discovered one of my temp probes is borked. :angry: 
    Either that or the pork went from 11°C to 300°C in about five minutes! 
    At least with pork it's really hard to kill it!

I'd just wrap it after 3 or 4 hours and let it finish that way.
  • I’ve got one working probe monitoring ambient temp so I can swap that if necessary. My dad has the same kit so gonna see if I can borrow one of his. 
    Annoyingly it’s the second probe to have failed on me so might look at a new one. 
    These look pretty cool, no wires and sensors at both ends to measure meat and ambient temperature. 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Did anyone make it to the Smoke and Fire Festival in Ascot, Berkshire recently or are going to the one in Colchester, Essex this weekend for the British BBQ championships? Gutted I missed it (Essex is too far from me). 

https://www.smokeandfirefestival.com/
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3067
    edited August 2022
    I'm struggling to manage a BBQ now, so much so that im considering getting rid of the Weber Q w/stand and Weber Smokey Joe as it gets me down looking at it. 

Think I've done one this year. Probably should keep them.
  • Well that turned out to be the best pulled pork I’ve done yet. Perfect bark, nice smoke ring and no stall so it was all done by 2pm. 
    No idea why, I’m putting it down to luck lol. Last time I tried it was with a smaller joint and it took ages, never developed any bark and was just generally disappointing. 
    My dad brought some phillipino (sp) pork belly to finish off on the grill which was amazing. 
    God I love meat! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Well that turned out to be the best pulled pork I’ve done yet. Perfect bark, nice smoke ring and no stall so it was all done by 2pm. 
    No idea why, I’m putting it down to luck lol. Last time I tried it was with a smaller joint and it took ages, never developed any bark and was just generally disappointing. 
    My dad brought some phillipino (sp) pork belly to finish off on the grill which was amazing. 
    God I love meat! 
    Nice one! Photo?

I was chatting to a guy in America and he was saying he gets better results smoking a larger joint than a smaller one as per what you mentioned above. 
  • I meant to take pics but was busy cooking other stuff. Had the Weber and the BarbeSkew running at the same time. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    Afternoon. My old outback gas bbq is probably at the end of its useful life…. Various bits have rusted through etc etc so time for a new one. I am not really in the same league as some of you guys so simple 2 burner jobbie should do the job. The outback was 3 burner but I hardly ever had all 3 fired up.

So Who do we like for a 2 burner gas bbq? John Lewis are doing a Weber spirit classic for £340 ish which is advertised at £609 on their website so looks like, good value? 
    Anyone recommend a meat thermometer for smoking? Misses wants a Christmas idea for me. Have looked at the Thermapen ones. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2324
    edited November 2022
    Neilybob said:
    Anyone recommend a meat thermometer for smoking? Misses wants a Christmas idea for me. Have looked at the Thermapen ones. 
    Big fan of the Meater+ works great!

I'd advise waiting for a Black Friday sale though, they often get reduced 
    PVO_Dave said:
    Neilybob said:

That's a really good idea. Thanks 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2324
    Neilybob said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    Neilybob said:

Riverside reduced them in Black Friday last year by a decent amount: https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk

No affiliation, but used to get my Weber stuff from them before moving over to Kamado Joe :) - Also check Amazon on the day, as they sell them too. 

The Plus model has much better wifi / bluetooth coverage, so worth the extra 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    PVO_Dave said:
    Neilybob said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    Neilybob said:

Riverside reduced them in Black Friday last year by a decent amount: https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk

No affiliation, but used to get my Weber stuff from them before moving over to Kamado Joe :) - Also check Amazon on the day, as they sell them too. 

The Plus model has much better wifi / bluetooth coverage, so worth the extra 
    Superb thanks.  Will check them out. 
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    2023 bump for the 4 day Easter weekend.

What you cooking ? I'm doing a roast chicken, ribs and some smoked sausages tomorrow on the Weber kettle. Then the usual burgers and sausages to follow  
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I'm going to cook a Porchetta on the spit .......done porchetta about a dozen times before .
    The Sardinians swear by the Myrtle and aroma of the Maquis at this time of year 
    I have 2 big dead Rosemary bushes and some well seasoned apple wood 
  • Daughter No1 has been asking when we’re having a bbq. 
    Thinking about attempting a small brisket on the Weber, any tips? 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Dominic said:
    I'm going to cook a Porchetta on the spit .......done porchetta about a dozen times before .
    The Sardinians swear by the Myrtle and aroma of the Maquis at this time of year 
    I have 2 big dead Rosemary bushes and some well seasoned apple wood 
    Good idea, but how on earth did you manage to kill two Rosemary bushes? That takes effort  ;)
    Daughter No1 has been asking when we’re having a bbq. 
    250-300f.

Dont worry too much as long as it is in between those. I have done hot and fast before with great results but it needs a bit more checking then.

Wrap in butcher paper at the stall.

What do you mean by “small brisket”? Only 9-10lb? Or some sort of crap supermarket thing?

If you don’t want a 15lb full pack brisket then get either the flat or the point from a good butcher depending on what you like best rather than any supermarket shite. I order mine from Turner & George in London.

• Daughter No1 has been asking when we’re having a bbq. 
    250-300f.

Dont worry too much as long as it is in between those. I have done hot and fast before with great results but it needs a bit more checking then.

Wrap in butcher paper at the stall.

What do you mean by “small brisket”? Only 9-10lb? Or some sort of crap supermarket thing?

If you don’t want a 15lb full pack brisket then get either the flat or the point from a good butcher depending on what you like best rather than any supermarket shite. I order mine from Turner & George in London.

Thanks dude. I’ve never done a brisket before and only have a standard Weber kettle - I thought I’d read that they can be tricky without a proper full size smoker? 
    Hadn’t got as far as thinking where I’d get it from, probably local butcher. 
    Probably wouldn’t go for a full brisket as I’m guessing that takes a loooooong time to smoke so I’d rather start with a smaller piece.