Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The BBQ Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I'm using the most basic and cheap  offset smoker to do a brisket and some ribs today.  Then an old half barrel BBQ later for chicken, lamb etc

Given its not a fancy piece of kit I will be spending the whole day very closely monitoring the temperature of the smoker.   Thankfully the weather is on my side and its holding well so far.  Last time I used it was a windy day, which made it totally useless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Yeah, cheap offsets are crap. I had one. 2mm steel. No temp control.
    Massive variation in temps in the chamber.

Got rid a long time ago.

You can improve it by using a fireproof aluminium based insulation blanket but if you spend that money you might as well buy a WSM.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Yeah, the temp is inconsistent.   It's not done too bad so far, just a lot of work maintaing temp and shuffling bits round every so often.

Few more hours to go and everything is going well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Neilybob said:
    Smoked 3kgs of pork butts (shoulder) yesterday for 10 hours. Used American mustard and Bart's smokey BBQ rub. Fell apart like butter. 

That is all. 
    butter doesnt fall apart  ;)

what did it play like tho ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    So what am I doing wrong, guys?
    I've got a 57cm kettle BBQ (not a Weber) with a vented ash catcher but I'm struggling to maintain the heat.
    Yesterday I used two chimneys of briquettes and when I initially closed the lid (with bottom vent fully open) it shot up to 300C, but after I opened it again and put the burgers on it it dropped down to 130/150C even with the lid back on and bottom vent open and never regained the initial temperature.
    Do I need to use even more briquettes? I thought two chimneys' worth was plenty. I had them evenly spread over the grate rather than piled on one side.

you need to suck on the chimneys
    DiscoStu said:
    I've got a 57cm kettle BBQ (not a Weber) with a vented ash catcher but I'm struggling to maintain the heat.
    Yesterday I used two chimneys of briquettes and when I initially closed the lid (with bottom vent fully open) it shot up to 300C, but after I opened it again and put the burgers on it it dropped down to 130/150C even with the lid back on and bottom vent open and never regained the initial temperature.
    Do I need to use even more briquettes? I thought two chimneys' worth was plenty. I had them evenly spread over the grate rather than piled on one side.

When it went up to 300C you basically used all your fuel up and it couldn't get as hot anymore.
    You really don't need 300C / 572F for anything!
    If you spread the coals wide and thin you make it worse because they get all the air in the world. 

Are you cooking on a grate or on a solid surface in there?
    DiscoStu said:

When it went up to 300C you basically used all your fuel up and it couldn't get as hot anymore.
    You really don't need 300C / 572F for anything!
    If you spread the coals wide and thin you make it worse because they get all the air in the world. 

Are you cooking on a grate or on a solid surface in there?
    I thought plenty air was a good thing? I cook on a grate but it just wasn't hot enough to sear any black lines on the burgers or sausages. I mean everything was cooked and nothing got cremated but it took so much longer than expected and continually lost its heat. I've struggled with this since I got the BBQ. Disposables are hotter!
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1357
    more air means the fuel burns faster, once it is alight you need to restrict the airflow just enough to keep it burning without getting through it too fast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Ok. So a combination of piling the coal rather than spreading it out and tweaking the bottom vent then?
    I'm determined to crack this! If not, we're going gas.
    If the meat is directly over the hot coals and you are using a grate they will eventually burn or the outside will be just right and the middle undercooked.

So pile the coals up on 1 side only. a good burger only needs to hit 70C internal temp (adjust for rare etc) so as long as the grill temp is higher than that it will reach it.

Start the cook over the coals to get a nice charred edge, but then when the burgers are sealed in move them so they aren't directly over the coals and put the lid on.

That way they get the nice BBQ finish and flavour from the direct heat element, and then continue to cook until ready with the lid on almost in an oven.

It also helps to control the air flow and increase the cooking time available from the coals.

The other thing do NOT light all the coals at once. Have about 10-12 lit in the chimney and put them in the middle of unlit ones in the kettle. 10-12 lit coals is plenty to get the heat going and the other coals will light on their own as the heat reaches them. That will keep the heat going longer.

Go far lower on the air vents than you think. You want it to glow, not actually be on fire. That will just use your fuel up really fast.
    And - doing them properly takes longer than you might think.

If you want the fastest burger then go gas and use a solid cooking plate. 

If you want it to have good bbq flavour then doing it slowly is the only way.
    Easy explanation

ANd a basic - how to set up

Cheers @fretmeister I'll need to get this down.
    edited June 2022
    This is my BBQ. There is an adjustable airflow vent underneath on the ashcatcher but do you think I should partly cover the hole at the bottom of the kettle at all? I've been leaving the bottom vent fully open, putting the lid on, and keeping the vent on the lid closed.

For burgers you are going to be taking the lip on and off so you can have the bottom open just a few millimetres.

Same for the top. You never want any of them closed completely. Air has to flow.
    For burgers you are going to be taking the lip on and off so you can have the bottom open just a few millimetres.

he's not Mick Jagger you know

Same for the top. You never want any of them closed completely. Air has to flow.
    Food for thought. I thought you had to keep the lid vent closed to keep the heat in. I'll try opening it a bit next time and closing the bottom vent more. Cheers!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Quick question… are there any other charcoal contenders, other than Weber?

After a few years on the gas, I'm thinking of going back to charcoal but find the Webers all sit a bit low.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    RobDavies said:

After a few years on the gas, I'm thinking of going back to charcoal but find the Webers all sit a bit low.
    BBQing burgers and sausages or smoking? 
    Well, there's Big Green Egg & Napoleon but I have no idea how high off the ground they are.

Both good though.
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
    PK Grills are great. Not sure about the height of them though.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    edited June 2022
    Neilybob said:
    RobDavies said:

BBQing burgers and sausages or smoking? 
    No smoking, just bbqing Burgers, sausages and succulent chicken thighs. 
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 445
    Just taken delivery of a Slow 'n' Sear. Looking forward to getting it going this weekend, weather permitting. I think I'm going to go for a pork butt for my first low and slow. 
    Can't go wrong with pork for a first go. It's very forgiving.
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 445
    Yeah I am hoping so. I'm hoping to be able to freeze some portions to use for sandwiches etc. 

Does anyone have experience with Big K Lumpwood? I have only previously used Weber briquettes. Found them good, but my local butcher is selling the Big K stuff at the moment.
    Yeah I am hoping so. I'm hoping to be able to freeze some portions to use for sandwiches etc. 

Does anyone have experience with Big K Lumpwood? I have only previously used Weber briquettes. Found them good, but my local butcher is selling the Big K stuff at the moment.
    I can't find Weber briquettes anywhere local this year. Everywhere is selling Supagrill or Homefire. I haven't seen Big K either.
    I don't think Big K is sold in the UK.

I usually get my Weber ones from wowBBQ (UK) or Riverside online places.

Prices vary so much.

I tend to buy in November / December though when they are trying to get rid of the stock to make room for Xmas stuff and just store it in the shed.
  • Starting a bbq now. Half barrel type (not mine), one chimney to start coals. I've popped a big unburnt one in to light from the white coals to give more time (all lump wood from restaurant industry, unknown quality!)

Will pile up on one side, seal chicken, then move it to the other side to finish. Keeping fingers crossed. No thermometer, which is how I always manage it with my dad...