Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any Motörbike riders here? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like a plan.
    If all goes well I'll be on my full license by April.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • cruxiform said:

octatonic said:
    I've been tossing up whether to keep the 125 or not when I get the big bike.
    I don't think I will- it is a nice bike but I can see myself getting something like a Bandit for winter use and keeping the big bike as a Sunday ride.

I change my mind a lot though.
    I'd keep the 125 if you ride in London, you don't need anything bigger IMO
    This is why I think a 125 would be fun too - but the Bandit does everything I need it to (just like a tele does everything I need it to - but I have another dozen or so guitars anyway)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited December 2013
    So.... had a bit of a tumble yesterday.
    Nothing major- I'm fine and the bike is undamaged.
    Happened on a ride out with London Bikers that I probably wasn't quite ready for given that it is late December and I've been riding for less than a month.

It was all going swimmingly until I came around a bend that had some left over ice on it from the previous night.
    Instead of riding through it I panicked and hit the brakes at 20 miles an hour, dropped the bike and slid for a couple of metres.
    One of the other guys hit it too but he knew not to brake- but ended up going over the road and up into a verge.
    Just chalk it down to experience I guess.

A bit of a knee graze- no damage to helmet or the bike.
    Definitely need to think more about when to go out- in hindsight I was being a bit optimistic to think that the amount of riding I had done (about 400 miles so far) was enough to be able to tackle a winter ride down country lanes.
    I might still take it out around London provided the temperature is over 10 degrees but I think country lanes are out until April.

I'm not making light of it- it was distinctly NOT a fun thing to happen- but actually it has not dented my enthusiasm for riding.
    I want to get better at it and work at being safer.
    I ended up riding home 40 miles or so without incident.
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited December 2013
    Believe me you would get bored (even in a car). I get bored whenever I have to get across the other side of London on the M25, and that's not only curvy/hilly but only 100 miles or so.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • octatonic said:

Trouble is, no-one tells you what to do when they give you L plates for a bike. 

When you've passed your test then you can get lessons - and there are some great people out there who will mentor you.

At least you were with the right bunch of people for your first spill - I imagine they looked after you properly. 

But when you pass your test, please don't go for a superbike straight away - you were talking about getting a Bandit or something for commuting anyway - so get that first and see how you get on for a while: I'm not sure you'll need anything bigger for a Sunday ride.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    This thread is dangerous; I've just bought a Honda NTV650 ;) 
  • IanSavage said:
    This thread is dangerous; I've just bought a Honda NTV650 ;) 
    Pics?

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2339
    As I said on the LB forum James get back on the horse and put it down to experience. Everything that happens on a bike is a learning experience. @iansavage nice one!
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Not collecting it 'til the New Year, so that'll be one 'resolution' crossed off within days - it's this one though:

Looks to be in decent nick, HOWEVER these do 'rat' up incredibly well from what I've seen so I might be tapping up my powder-coating contact and getting a can or two of matt black in....

octatonic said:

Trouble is, no-one tells you what to do when they give you L plates for a bike. 

When you've passed your test then you can get lessons - and there are some great people out there who will mentor you.

At least you were with the right bunch of people for your first spill - I imagine they looked after you properly. 

But when you pass your test, please don't go for a superbike straight away - you were talking about getting a Bandit or something for commuting anyway - so get that first and see how you get on for a while: I'm not sure you'll need anything bigger for a Sunday ride.

Yes they were great- I was pretty embarrassed but they all said it had happened to them and that I was pretty lucky to have gotten off so lightly.
    Definitely don't want to come off again.

Superbike- no way in the world.
    I'm not that interested in them anyway but I definitely need a middleweight bike, nothing too powerful, just a bigger bike with good brakes.
    I'm seriously considering looking only at bikes with ABS form now on.
    I know it wouldn't have helped me in this case but I want to be as careful as possible.
    cruxiform said:
    As I said on the LB forum James get back on the horse and put it down to experience. Everything that happens on a bike is a learning experience. @iansavage nice one!
    Thanks Rob- yes a learning experience it has been.
  • Me and my wife decided to buy a couple of 125's this year with the intention of sitting the direct access next year. image
    To be honest you get kudos from me just for heading out yesterday, I'm too much of a wuss these days. They're a great bunch, I don't get to many rideouts with them but the ones I have, I've loved. I plan to get out on more in 2014 as they're a right laugh. Some of the bigger bike rides have been +200 miles in a day :)
  • I'm a fair-weather rider too these days.  Still got back/neck problems from riding around as a youth in shit weather with inadequate clothing :(
    @jolietjake Nice pair and good luck with your tests :)
  • IanSavage said:
    Not collecting it 'til the New Year, so that'll be one 'resolution' crossed off within days - it's this one though:

Looks to be in decent nick, HOWEVER these do 'rat' up incredibly well from what I've seen so I might be tapping up my powder-coating contact and getting a can or two of matt black in....

Looks like vintage fun to rat up.

• Me and my wife decided to buy a couple of 125's this year with the intention of sitting the direct access next year. image
    How are they coping with the winter? Lexmotos are still on my maybe list.

And is your DAS booked yet?

cruxiform said:
    To be honest you get kudos from me just for heading out yesterday, I'm too much of a wuss these days. They're a great bunch, I don't get to many rideouts with them but the ones I have, I've loved. I plan to get out on more in 2014 as they're a right laugh. Some of the bigger bike rides have been +200 miles in a day :)
    It really wasn't bravery- I just didn't realise how treacherous it was.
    I didn't have any inkling that such a small patch of ice could cause such a problem for me.

I absolutely know it now. ;)
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1707
    edited December 2013
    Whoa at the tumble, and good on you for not letting it put you off.

I've been working on my range and endurance (it's tiring and unusual for me), and have had  a few wobbles, but not had a fall.

PSN id : snakey33stoo

• How are they coping with the winter? Lexmotos are still on my maybe list.

And is your DAS booked yet?
    They're away for the winter now. Took them out about the week before christmas for  a wee run, but the country roads around here are too slippery in the winter, even without ice. 
    DAS is not booked, but hoping to book it for the spring. :-) I've got until then to search for a bike. Always fancied an old brit bike, but maybe better to buy a new "old" brit bike to get the benefits of modern technology :-)
  • JolietJake said: 
    Always fancied an old brit bike, but
    Stop right there. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, old Brit bikes are a right can of worms. There's all the having to get used to gears and rear brakes being on the opposite side for starters. Add in the reliability issues and the amount of cleaning you need to do after every ride if you want it to stay rust-free and they're only really good for the odd sunny day ride-out. If you want old school looks, go for a modern Bonneville, Kawasaki W800 or an Indian version of the Royal Enfield.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited December 2013
    This is really for cruxiform/Rob but a good reminder for us all.

Some sad from the LB forum- one of the members '1412' was involved in a fatal accident just before christmas.
    Was confirmed to be him today by one of the admins.

Very sad and a real reminder given he was also a new biker and rode the same bike as me.
    We HAVE to be careful and not get over-confident, especially in the wet weather.
    edited December 2013
    I saw that James. Being bikers we should never think we're invincible. A tragic accident, thoughts to his family who are going through something I hope mine never have to. If you feel nervous while riding there's probably a reason for that. Take care and try to anticipate hazards. 

I don't know the details about this poor guys accident but if it means a few bikers take extra care then it's at least something positive out of a very bad situation.
  • A motorcyclist was killed when he came off his bike in "bad weather conditions" on the A3 in Surrey and was then hit by oncoming vehicles.

That is the problem these days - other vehicles. And too much road furniture.  And f***ing potholes.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    edited December 2013
    I read about your tumble on the LB forum, glad you`re o.k especially after the A3 news, I passed the police boards asking for information today, very very sad.

Im yet to get out on a LB ride out but well done for you going out, I waited until the sun was up high and then went for a ride:

imageimage
    Dont overlook an SV as a starter bike, massively forgiving, the front wheel wont lift and the rear wont spin out, plus pretty light and the engine braking is ideal especially going into corners.
    Epsom Downs? Nice SV.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    I've gone off the idea now!
    My V key is broken
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    Great spot cruxiform, Epsom Downs it is.
    Tone71 said:
    Great spot cruxiform, Epsom Downs it is.
    Stopped there a few times myself. Great views when it's clear.