Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What do you play? - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What do you play?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickersticker Frets: 868
    Guitar , Bass , Drums , Percussion and Ukulele ...in that order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1470
    optical theramin...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    acoustic...fingerstyle
    electric
    harmonica
    bit of banjo
    slide/lapsteel

all with varying degrees of proficiency....or as Mrs Mgaw would put it..."well at least you enjoy it...."
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Aside from guitar: electric bass, double bass & lapslide.

Here's me on double bass & lapslide:

Mixed Messengers - Everything:

E-bass:

Casabella Open the Gate:

I'm also a terrible New Age music piano noodler
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Bass is my only other instrument and is actually my main instrument now since I've ended up bassing in a folk band. But I make sure I avoid Root / 5th / Root / 5th ... etc as much as possible.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Things I've tried to learn to play apart from guitar:

Bass.In a typical guitarist playing bass fashion, but it's useful and fun!

Harmonica. Specifically to play Heart of Gold and So Much Wine. I'd love to learn some blues bends playing.

Drums. I won a Roland electronic kit in a Sound On Sound Competition but eventually sold it as I didn't have the time or patience to learn much more than a 4/4 beat. I could get better results by programming them in Logic.

Stylophone. My brother-in-law bought me one as a joke, so I had to use it in a track. The 1970s resistors that set the note frequencies were all over the shop and even Logic's auto tune plug-in couldn't quite save it.

Charango. One of my favourite guitarists started a Bolivian folk band (he was from the Rhondda!) and started playing one of these little things and I was mesmerised by the sound. I've learnt a few chords but getting into the Latin American feel is quite hard.

• LuminousLuminous Frets: 210

I'm happy to play anything I can bet my hands on.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Sax. Had lessons for years, gigged it plenty in a big band.

Done lots of singing as a front man too. I'd be quite happy to even put the bass aside and just sing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    As well as guitar I have played in front of people: drums (and cajon), bass and mandolin.

I own/can play a little piano/keys, uke, melodica and I also have a Xaphoon (a sort of cross between a sax and a recorder), though I can't get much more than the odd note out of it.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Sarge said:
    Other than guitar n bass, my only other is a didgeridoo!
    Rolf Harris taught me to play at Glastonbury in the early 90s, I used to be proud of that, not so much now.......
    Did he stand behind you, holding your Digeridoo and saying 'can you see what it is yet'?

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    In my youth I was into all these bands with multi-instrumentalists so I tried to learn as many as possible, trying to compete with the guys from The Incredible String Band!

as a result i can knock a tune out of a mandolin, fiddle, Appalachian dulcimer, epinette de pays, keyboard, whistle, all the recorders, sax and bouzouki. My main instruments remain guitar, bass, flute and synth. Despite all my attempts, I still can't play drums as well as I'd like - for some reason I can play 6/8 like falling over, but straightforward 'boom-tish' eludes me!

• My "main" instrument (as in the one I had formal lessons on) is clarinet.  Probably the only instrument I play "properly" - the rest are all self-taught, with various degrees of blaggery.  I played clarinet and a bit of sax in classical wind band and trad jazz band for years, but now mostly play rock guitar, at least in public.

I've gigged on clarinet, sax, guitar and bass.
    I'm fairly good on recorders.
    I've dabbled with piano/synths, mandolin, zither, ocarina, flute, theremin (oh the aching arms!), violin (because my daughter's learning it) and anything else I can get my hands on, but pretty rubbish at most of those.
    I really can't get on with brass instruments or drums (can never get arms and legs coordinated)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    PIANO,KEYS
    dare I say Stylophone ..............like that nice Australian chap used to play
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 568
    edited November 2015
    I suck at playing guitar, worse at anything else. I cAn make a nice Sunday roast...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I'm shit-hot on the Kazoo.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    Guitar, and I love it
    Piano, and I like it
    Drums, and I miss it like crazy

Penny whistle in the key of D
  • joeyowen;840975" said:

Now that's specialization :)
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    joeyowen;840975" said:

Now that's specialization :)
    I was in Ireland and saw one for sale, it happened to be in that key... I don't want to over complicate ;)
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    I spent years playing in metal bands... Now I'm playing mainly mandolin, as well as acoustic guitar and a bit of singing in a duo. It's a lot of fun!