Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Too Valuable To Play Syndrome - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Too Valuable To Play Syndrome

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Shit happens. 

My point is, whilst it was a nasty experience, it was replaceable. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • photekphotek Frets: 1429
    edited August 2013
    Trotter said:
     I have one particular guitar that only comes out at the bigger shows and precisely for this reason I'm currently thinking of selling to replace it with 2/3 less valuable guitars that I won't be worried to gig.
    @Trotter if the guitar in question is the one I think it is you should just change your name to Murphy and knock it about a bit. It will then double in value ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    impmann said:
    Shit happens. 

You should maybe have offered them money for it - they may have had no idea how much it was worth.

I once bought my plane ticket back from a pickpocket in Italy for about a tenner I think. Cheaper and less hassle than getting a replacement ticket. It was a bit annoying to have to negotiate with a gang of street kids for my own property back though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • photekphotek Frets: 1429
    ICBM said:

I once bought my plane ticket back from a pickpocket in Italy for about a tenner I think.
    Where is pickpocket? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CruzCruz Frets: 0
    ICBM;10149" said:
    impmann said:

Shit happens. 

You should maybe have offered them money for it - they may have had no idea how much it was worth.

I once bought my plane ticket back from a pickpocket in Italy for about a tenner I think. Cheaper and less hassle than getting a replacement ticket. It was a bit annoying to have to negotiate with a gang of street kids for my own property back though.
    Chances are he'd lose the money and the guitar if he'd try that.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    This whole debate is a bit screwy. It's not as if there's a problem caused by this so-called syndrome.

Despite Dirk Ziff's collection - and that of many other collectors who feel their guitars are too valuable to play "in the wild" - there's still no shortage of great old and new guitars available for the gigging musician. Everybody wins. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter