Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Cycling Club - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Logie said:
    @Mellish ;
    Was it fatty Mcboatface on the MaccyD team?
    The name won't come to me. I remember thinking at the time "That's a lot of Mars bars!". There's a bit more to the story that I won't go into, involving a team mate's cloth cap that teams wore back then :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    They say "War is Hell" but I bet none of them have just spent a bastard hour trying to get a gatorskin tyre back on to a 700c rim. Fuckin thumbs! 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    They say "War is Hell" but I bet none of them have just spent a bastard hour trying to get a gatorskin tyre back on to a 700c rim. Fuckin thumbs! 
    Yes, it can make you grin! :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LogieLogie Frets: 428
    @jonnyburgo ;
    I did a tyre on a ride up in Windsor and had to get a replacent sharpish as I was only visiting. The only bike shop was in Bagshot and they only had one suitable tyre in stock. A Schwalbe One tubeless which they insisted was fine for tubed as well.
    I beg to differ…
    Two inner tubes, scuffed knuckles and most of an afternoon trying to get the twat on but I had to admit defeat and shelve the rest of the weekend.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    What I used to do was put a folder tyre and a couple of latex tubes in a bonk bag with maybe a chain tool and a mini pump and sling it on my back. Today you can get small air canisters but I'd stick with a pump. To my mind  it's more reliable :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'd throw a spoke key in the bag too and appropriate allen keys. This collection of bits weighs nothing in this musette but it means you don't need to depend on others for help you may not get :) 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    edited October 2021
    Unlocked the Tron bike on Zwift this morning

edited October 2021
    @drofluf I assume that's a workout aid? Sorry, not up on new stuff. I was 60s to late 80s. Time trials, hillclimb events, that sort of thing  

@Mellish put simply Zwift is an app for indoor cycling. It controls the resistance on my turbo trainer and provides a virtual landscape to ride in. As you go up a hill in the app it becomes harder to pedal. It also provides training plans, races and challenges. I “earned” the virtual bike by completing 50,000m of climbing. 
    Now I understand. The ingenuity of man! And congrats on your achievement my dear :) 
    Sorry, my last comment was, @drofluf ;
    Mellish said:
    Now I understand. The ingenuity of man! And congrats on your achievement my dear :) 
    Thank you!
    In times past we'd use a turbo with a control on the bars to shift from easy up through to hard. We'd often listen to favourite music during the workout. Or we'd use rollers and learn the delicate art of balance :) 
    I usually have some music on when I ride indoors as well. But I find that Zwift makes long sessions more interesting, with a turbo like you describe I could only manage 30 minutes before I got bored. With a smart trainer I can last a couple of hours. Of course I could always MTFU and ride outside in bad weather :)

As for rollers, well I usually stab myself a couple of times when I change stings so I think they’re a non-starter. 
    Try inner awareness when riding indoors...you know, being aware of your breathing, your chest expanding etc. It's a different experience :) 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    I was thinking of an indoor trainer for the winter, but wasn't sure if it would see much use as I never really liked them.  I did however get a rowing machine, I used to enjoy that when I went to the gym. Also a good upper body workout.

I have done 3 ten minute sessions  ........ it was exhausting ....
    edited October 2021
    Jaycee said:
    I was thinking of an indoor trainer for the winter, but wasn't sure if it would see much use as I never really liked them.  I did however get a rowing machine, I used to enjoy that when I went to the gym. Also a good upper body workout.

I have done 3 ten minute sessions  ........ it was exhausting ....
    Indoor trainers are convenient: you don't have much time to spare and it's not worth going out, or it's raining and you just don't fancy it. Saying that, nothing beats time spent on the road  
    @Jaycee ;;

I feel your pain

I spent 3 months training with a marathon canoeist who was rehabilitating after a spell in hospital due to contracting vials disease whilst training.
    I only agreed to keep him company but it's fantastic for all round fitness.
    We used to do 5 days of interval training and on the 6th day we did a 9k row.
    My arse used to pucker at the thought of it!
    Logie said:
    @Jaycee ;;

I feel your pain

I spent 3 months training with a marathon canoeist who was rehabilitating after a spell in hospital due to contracting vials disease whilst training.
    I only agreed to keep him company but it's fantastic for all round fitness.
    We used to do 5 days of interval training and on the 6th day we did a 9k row.
    My arse used to pucker at the thought of it!

I played squash the other week, first time since the first lockdown, after 30 minutes my arm was ready to drop off. Another reason why I decided to get a rower, and the good thing was £50 from facebook marketplace
    @Jaycee ;

I haven't played squash in 2 years now. I'm really missing it as the league I played in at work hasn't started up yet. My old regular partner is getting back to fitness again so hopefully in the next couple of months I should be back on the court.

I'd recommend the interval training on the rower as it keeps it from getting monotonous and it's a real fast track way to build up your fitness on it.
    @Logie ; I will look into that. I plan on getting up to 20 minutes which will include warm up and cool down, and when I get there will structure it better, thanks
    Did a 30 miler today, first ride in two weeks. I was surprised how I felt during the ride, pretty good considering. I have been doing 3 x 10 minutes sessions on the rower for the last two weeks, 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    Mellish said:
    In times past riding "fixed" was popular. I wondered if it still is. We'd have a loop, maybe two... You know, one for a hard day, one for an easy day :) 
    I ride fixed quite a bit for commuting/utility and winter rides. I also tt on fixed normally 92 inch but will drop that for a hilly tt ;)

Not ridden on Marathon Plus's then one of the few tyres I need to use a tyre lever on ;)

So you guys don't use tubs? :) 

The reason I asked is to do with revolving weight, although to be fair today's best clinchers pretty much compare with tubs - and of course, there's not all that faffing about at home with the stitching to mend a punctured tube! :) 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited November 2021
    Mellish said:
    In times past riding "fixed" was popular. I wondered if it still is. We'd have a loop, maybe two... You know, one for a hard day, one for an easy day  
    I never enjoyed fixed but used to ride my Specialized Langster singlespeed and really liked it. I live in a fairly flat area and it forced me to attack the short sharp climbs rather than sit and spin, I think I got a better workout out of my short loops (I get bored on big road rides). Although the first time I went for a ride with my roadie mate on his geared bike I got absolutely pasted and that's what made me get my first geared road bike haha.

Current regretting selling my road bike for a spin bike! The position and general ride on a proper bike on rollers just feels so much better. I basically just do GCN spin classes as my main form of exercise now. I wonder if a smart/direct drive trainer would work on my MTB if I get the right gearing, or a trainer that can further adjust the intensity without traditional gearing? As I imagine my 32t will spin out quite easily on a regular cassette.
    Mellish said:
    So you guys don't use tubs? :) 

No clinchers only, I've have friends who have tried tubeless - while its great for MTB its not so good for the road, PSI is to high the sealant just blows out ;)

TTBZ said:
    Mellish said:
    In times past riding "fixed" was popular. I wondered if it still is. We'd have a loop, maybe two... You know, one for a hard day, one for an easy day  
    I never enjoyed fixed but used to ride my Specialized Langster singlespeed and really liked it. I live in a fairly flat area and it forced me to attack the short sharp climbs rather than sit and spin, I think I got a better workout out of my short loops (I get bored on big road rides). Although the first time I went for a ride with my roadie mate on his geared bike I got absolutely pasted and that's what made me get my first geared road bike haha.

Current regretting selling my road bike for a spin bike! The position and general ride on a proper bike on rollers just feels so much better. I basically just do GCN spin classes as my main form of exercise now. I wonder if a smart/direct drive trainer would work on my MTB if I get the right gearing, or a trainer that can further adjust the intensity without traditional gearing? As I imagine my 32t will spin out quite easily on a regular cassette.
    With the right smart trainer and App controlling it your bikes gearing becomes irrelevant the Trainer controls the resistance. As an example I do 3X12 min at 220 watts the trainer just holds you there whatever gear regardless of cadence. The only issue can be the spiral of death - this happens if you reduce cadence and the resitence overwhelms you 220 watts at 0 rpm is a massive strain :)

I've got a Tacx flow 2 and have used garmins own software, RGT and swift to varying success. I'm about to give RGT another go and try some group rides on it. 
    @TTBZ ; @Nikc beat me to it! I've got a Wahoo! KICKR that I use with Zwift