Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anxiety/Panic attacks - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anxiety/Panic attacks

What's Hot
RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
About this time of year, for about three or four weeks, I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks. 

I have no idea why but most nights, when I go to bed, within about ten minutes of lying there, I can feel an attack coming on.  Dryness of mouth, shaky, nervous and just a horrible feeling of dread are the only way to describe them  They can last anything from a couple of minutes to about an hour.

Compared to others that I've read about on the www, they're not that severe but they still piss me right off and there's always that thought that they might not go away.

I'm due to go on holiday in a week and I don't want this to spoil it.  Any tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    Weird that they happen the same time every year.. you would think if it was seasonal, it would have to be pollen related or something, which sounds unlikely. Is it always before you go on holiday, maybe scared of flying or something??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    I think it might be linked to going on holiday?  Never been worried about flying though.

It could also be just the change in my usual routine - kids off school, wife at home for six weeks as well (she works in a school).

You'd think that going on holiday would be something to get all relaxed and jovial about....
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    RobDavies said:

It could also be just the change in my usual routine - kids off school, wife at home for six weeks as well (she works in a school).

Yeah, I reckon this man. That would stress me out.

You don't want a holiday ruined, as the whole point is to de-stress. maybe get the doc to give you some Diazepam or something similar. Seeing as it is so isolated, you shouldn't feel the need to keep taking them the rest of the year, so might be an ok thing to do. They give em to people who are worried about flying, going to the dentist etc. so don;t see how this is much different.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    do you think that they may now be about apprehension, of the "pending" panic attacks themselves ?? -   so the attacks are brought on by the fear of them happening ?  

Bit of therapy/professional consultation  may be the order of the day ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    bertie said:
    do you think that they may now be about apprehension, of the "pending" panic attacks themselves ?? -   so the attacks are brought on by the fear of them happening ?  

Bit of therapy/professional consultation  may be the order of the day ?

There could be a lot of truth in that - I've noticed that there can be patterns to the times I get anxious and it's at times when I would expect to be anxious - the same situation without warning doesn't phase me anywhere near as much. I hope you find a way to manage it and it doesn't spoil anything you have planned! :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    pm incoming
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    Is it because things are out of your hands? I get anxious and panicky when I'm not in control.
    My V key is broken
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    In addition to some sage advice above, I know that taking time out from your business is always a concern, in the back of your mind*, whether for holidays, time off, whatever. Add that to the school hols and it's quite disruptive
    (*the subconscious is where most of this annoying stuff comes from, and very hard to control too !), 

You really do need time out with the family to recharge the personal batteries to make the most of life.  Luckily business and everything just carries on when we get back, pretty much as if we had never left. (Luckily???)    ;)

Slow steady breathing exercises, or meditation, are always a good way of calming things down, whether thats stage nerves or anything else.  It seems to give a renewed perspective.

Don't know if any of that helps   :)

On a more philosophical note, this stuff makes you wonder who is really in charge, the conscious part of you reading this who believes "you" are, or the subconscious instinctive animal deeper inside, who seems to control so much?  -  just a thought.

Cheers fellas.

Holn, I think part of the problem is everything is in my hands.  It's me that has to organise everything from start to finish - my missus just buys the kids some new holiday clothes and that's pretty much it.  If it wasn't for me, we wouldn't go on holiday.

There are other things going on in my life as well that I'd rather not discuss at this stage (my ol' mate Grunfeld probably has a good idea what I'm alluding to) and I think that probably has more to do with my "issues" than anything else....

Thanks again - just ranting on the forum helps.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    You have to offload some stress man.  My health over the past two years or so has gone; lots of stress --> strange chest pains --> strange sensations of obstructions in my oesophagus --> lump in my throat --> panic attacks --> heart attack.

I too felt that I was having to deal with everything and it wasn't until I was forced 'get off the hamster wheel' and take enforced rest and time off work after my heart attack that it slowly dawned on me that I was far, far more stressed than I thought.

If you are having to deal 'with it all' - then you either need to shift a significant amount of it onto your missus, or learn to prioritise what's really important and simply say 'fuck it' to the rest.  Stress will kill you.  Your body is giving you warning signs now with the anxiety attacks.  You have my sincere empathy re the anxiety.  Panic attacks and anxiety disorder is not a fun place to be.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750

Sorry to hear that, Rob. I went through a short phase of them in my Mid 20's, although mine might have been through self inflicted reasons at the time. I don't mind being open about these things.

Only you can search within to find out why you get them at certain times of the year and analyse the period of time they have been recurring to see what you can narrow it down to.

Having said that, you need to not be embarrassed about going to the GP to see what can be done to stop the Cycle. GP might refer you to a Counsellor or whatever else, it's not a frightening or patronising experience I can assure you. 

Procrastinating about whether to go can lead to more stress. Once you have made the decision to go you have cleared one hurdle.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    That sounds eerily similar to something that I'd put down to physiological issues - how would you describe the feeling of dread? What I experience is usually just before I fall asleep - my heart starts beating really hard; not faster than normal, but it feels like it's going to jump out of my chest and leads to a really nasty feeling of terror. Sometimes it ends up with sweats, and almost always ends up with me not sleeping until about 4am.

Is that anything close to what you're talking about?
    <space for hire>
  • Emp_Fab said:
    You have to offload some stress man.  My health over the past two years or so has gone; lots of stress --> strange chest pains --> strange sensations of obstructions in my oesophagus --> lump in my throat --> panic attacks --> heart attack.

I too felt that I was having to deal with everything and it wasn't until I was forced 'get off the hamster wheel' and take enforced rest and time off work after my heart attack that it slowly dawned on me that I was far, far more stressed than I thought.

If you are having to deal 'with it all' - then you either need to shift a significant amount of it onto your missus, or learn to prioritise what's really important and simply say 'fuck it' to the rest.  Stress will kill you.  Your body is giving you warning signs now with the anxiety attacks.  You have my sincere empathy re the anxiety.  Panic attacks and anxiety disorder is not a fun place to be.
    If im really stressed I get little odd pains near my heart or my heart skips beats im sure thats not a good sign
    Old Is Gold
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    edited August 2013
    Funnily enough Rob since we spoke I started seeing patients and clients with anxiety attacks (hypnosis patients, not physio patients) and like some others have said, a lot of the cause of the problem may be kicking around in the subconscious -- even when there's a obvious problem (yes, I remember).  

One thing which might help in a DIY way (and at least it's cheap and cheerful) is to get some access to the subconscious.  Writing.  Do three pages worth, pure stream of consciousness thoughts, random whatever comes out.  Don't stop until three pages are filled.  Do it for at least four consecutive days.  Mornings are good.  Will probably take between 30-45 mins.  

It's not really to get an “answer”.  It really doesn't have to make sense in a conventional sense.  It's to let your subconscious get a chance to be heard.  Because at the moment I'm thinking it's keeping you awake at night. 

:ar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1071
    Firstly +1 regarding seeing your GP and talking it through, maybe getting a referral to a counsellor.

I would recommend looking into "diaphragmatic breathing"  as a stop gap. Nothing too technical, simply breathing slowly from the abdominal area. I do it when I feel my thoughts starting to get out of control and it does help me. I make no health claims regarding the technique but find that it can help calm things down and get me through.
    Following on from Basher's comment, when I was at my worst with the anxiety problem, I started trying out Qi Gong - Chinese breathing and relaxation exercises (similar to Tai Chi).  I was very sceptical and felt a bit daft standing by my back door looking like the Karate Kid, but it worked...  I was very impressed with how quickly I started feeling unwound and chilled - just from doing ten minutes of breathing and stretching exercises.  There's loads of videos on youtube about it;  here's one; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zL4DyguWAk.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 897
    Definitely sounds like anxiety. I suffer with anxiety too, and like you it can be worse at night, and is always really bad before I go on holiday (what tw@ eh? It's supposed to be fun!). I find that taking a nice cool(ish) shower before bed can help my heart rate drop a bit. Reading in bed is about the best therapy for me. You must absolutely not be going on the internet, mobile phone, tablet etc in bed before you go to sleep. In fact, you should probably stop all gadgets after an agreed curfew (like 7pm or something). This will definitely help your mind to relax. Phyiscal excersion is good. No doubt about it. Running, footbal, squash, sex, anything that gets your heart rate up and out of breath will help with your physiological and metal state. You'll sleep better too. Make sure you are really well hydrated, dehydration can be a contributing factor in a million and one things that effect your physical and mental state. Do go see your Dr, but I hope you get more support than I did. I basically got fobbed off, and told to go see someone at MIND if I wanted any sort of councelling. I probably will, and they have a great reputation, but I was annoyed that my tax payers money didn't entitle me to see an NHS professional. Best of luck man, I'm sure you'll be just fine :)
    Thank you everyone.

I had a better night last night.  About seven and a half hours of uninterupted sleep.  Woke up  this morning feeling a bit nervy but tried some breathing exercises that relic245 recommended and they do seem to help a bit.

If I don't feel better after my holiday, I'll be making an appointment to see the doc.  The run up to Christmas is another stressy time - dunno why though, I have no real money worries or anything like that.  I guess it's just that there's more to do outside of the normal routine?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    RobDavies said:
      About seven and a half hours of uninterupted sleep. 
    crikey,  havent had that in over 20 years........

glad things are looking better tho  
    :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Something I thought I would share which might be of relevance to a few people on here:

A while ago when I was getting no exercise and was very stressed I started getting chest pains which would come on in the evening and got worse and worse over time to the point where I couldn't sleep because of them. 

I went to the doctors a bit worried to say the least and he explained that when you get stressed your body releases a lot of adrenaline into your system. You can only really clear this out by doing exercise because your body has put it there to make you run away or kill something. If you don't get rid of it, it can have the effect of making you muscles go into spasm particularly your chest muscles which can make it feel like you are having heart problems. 
    He said the way to tell was to walk around a bit. If it was a heart problem you would immediately feel much worse (and you should sit down and call 999) while if it was stress based cramping it won't make much difference. 
    If it is cramping caused by stress then going for a brisk walk, running on the spot, etc will make it go away and make you feel a lot better.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    I used to get this every single night for a solid month. I had to stop smoking weed to get rid of it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201

That sounds eerily similar to something that I'd put down to physiological issues - how would you describe the feeling of dread? What I experience is usually just before I fall asleep - my heart starts beating really hard; not faster than normal, but it feels like it's going to jump out of my chest and leads to a really nasty feeling of terror. Sometimes it ends up with sweats, and almost always ends up with me not sleeping until about 4am.

That sounds like pretty severe panic attacks to me.

Breathing exercises are really helpful, and if you can recognise the symptoms early you can nip it in the bud.
    My V key is broken

No.  That sounds a fair bit worse.  I get similar symptoms but just not quite as severe as you describe.  I sometimes get "shaky" too - but the whole experience never lasts more than about half an hour and I can usually get to sleep soon afterwards.
    The feeling of dread is like the worst case of butterflies you've ever had.  Like that feeling before a job interview when you know you haven't done enough preparation and they're going to rip you apart!
    I read on Mumsnet (yes, really) about taking a whole load of vitamins to help combat anxiety - omegas+calcium+magnesium+B vitamins.
    The story goes that Omegas help as mood stabilizers, Calcium & Magnesium work together as muscle relaxants and B vitamins work on the brain to keep everything cool and focused.

I've been taking the above for a couple of days and haven't felt have as bad as I did before.  Placebo maybe, but I'll take that....

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    @RobDavies ; I get similar symptoms when the Docs put me on steroids. I definitely get paranoid. OOI, do you take any meds which alter at this time of year?, or does your diet change?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    @RobDavies ; I get similar symptoms when the Docs put me on steroids. I definitely get paranoid. OOI, do you take any meds which alter at this time of year?, or does your diet change?
    Mike, I don't take any meds at all - never have done, fortunately.  No change in diet either.....  I'm fairly convinced it's all down to change of routine.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Lucky Man Rob.

It does sound like it's down to a routine change

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Rob.... this feeling of 'dread' you get...   Just out of curiosity, have you had an ECG recently, and do you know what your cholesterol levels are like ?  I'm only mentioning it because apparently, a feeling of 'dread' is common in people who subsequently have heart attacks.  Not trying to make you more anxious or anything ! - but.... it might be worth getting checked out.  I don't know anything about you physically, but if you're in 'that' grouping - over 40, overweight, under-exercised, stressed, less than ideal diet etc, then it wouldn't do you any harm to get your cholesterol checked and a quick MOT on the ticker.  Your GP will be more than happy to oblige.. they get paid more for preventative stuff :-)
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1628
    edited August 2013
    Long post alert.

Some great advice in this thread. 

I have a background in mental health care and am pretty cuckoo myself.  :D

My take on anxiety:

1: Get it off your chest and you're halfway there. Had you discussed this with anyone before posting a thread on here?  Reassurance and offloading is key. You've already had a better night's sleep hearing that half the forum have had similar experiences. How about the missus? Mates? Relatives? 

2:  Cut caffeine intake right down. I'm pretty chilled these days but rarely drink more than two instant coffees in the AM, then decaff for the rest of the day. I like these self-imposed rules, they add structure and control. Same with exercise of any kind, not only are you improving your health, you are subconsciously dealing with your anxiety issues: win-win. I'm not exercising currently, but I know I'll be feeling anxious again at some point and so I'll reintroduce it. Being over 40 and a heavy smoker, the exercise will be a good thing for my ticker, so in a way - anxiety is saving my life. :)

3: Spiritual insurance. 

Discount nothing, you have nothing to lose. Pascal's wager: reason dictates god don't exist, but what do we know?? Why not give the proposal some merit and maybe benefit from it in the afterlife? 

Same goes for alternative remedies: current medical research might show that half of it is baloney, but what's the harm in trying? I suffer from hayfever at this time of year and it makes me anxious, drop a piriton one hour before bedtime - they can make you drowsy. If in ten years' time doctors identify Pollen Related Anxiety Syndrome, you'll laugh. If they don't, you'll maybe have slept better anyway.  ;)

10:  Why so serious?

Sisyphean wisdom: Yes life is pointless, life can be hard, yes we're all going to die, no - the universe doesn't care. Shake your fist at the fuckers and get on with it anyway. Laugh at your/our predicament, life is absurd, absurdity is FUNNY! Never grow up, embrace your inner clown.

Exhibit A)

Incorrect attitude

Exhibit B)

You're doing it right

5: Perspective

A few night sweats is not going to affect the ebb and flow of the tides, so 'turn off your mind, relax and float downstream'. 

Holidays can be nice but in reality they are a bleeding ball-ache, why do we put ourselves through it?? This is especially true of family holidays. Solution: think only of the beach, only of the sun beating off your skin, the kids gaining memories for life that you are helping provide, you absolute hero. Or, you know, speak to the missus and tell her you want to start exploring the benefits of caravanning...

In summary, I thumb my nose at the whole shebang and feel better for it.

\m/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    3: Spiritual insurance. 

Discount nothing, you have nothing to lose. Pascal's wager: reason dictates god don't exist, but what do we know?? Why not give the proposal some merit and maybe benefit from it in the afterlife? 

Same goes for alternative remedies: current medical research might show that half of it is baloney, but what's the harm in trying? I suffer from hayfever at this time of year and it makes me anxious, drop a piriton one hour before bedtime - they can make you drowsy. If in ten years' time doctors identify Pollen Related Anxiety Syndrome, you'll laugh. If they don't, you'll maybe have slept better anyway.  ;)

I don't agree with this. Alternative medicine is at best ineffective (otherwise it would be called medicine) and at worst can harm you. http://whatstheharm.net/alternativemedicine.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter