Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Best "Outro" of a Song? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Best "Outro" of a Song?

What's Hot

Inspired by listening to this ( for the 10000000000000th time)

Good idea for a thread though.

I think this is hard to top, from 2:20.

Tough topic though, as the rest of whatever song you choose has the ultimate bearing on the Outro, but some interesting results may come of it.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I Am The Resurrection
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Starship Trooper - Yes.

It just goes off on one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Black Sabbath - War Pigs. Nice wee jam before the speeded up conclusion of the song.

• Elvis - suspicious minds - a simple fade out and then fades back in, simple but effective - love it!!
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited November 2013
    Rainbow - catch the rainbow. Also 16th century greensleeves.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Layla surely. It's completely different and better song.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Has to be RHCP - Sir psycho sexy
    I play at my dining room table.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Prince - Purple Rain
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • wows awarded for Catch the Rainbow & Layla.

I'd say any of those Deep Purple recordings where Ritchie Blackmore goes apeshit while they're fading him out. The earliest one I can think of is April (on the eponymous EllPee with the Heironymus Bosch cover) and the most obvious one is Demons Eye (on Fireball). The Blackmore's Night recording of Road To Mandalay also does quite well in this respect. In all of them I wish they hadn't faded him out so quickly.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I very much like the end of Tumbling Dice.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    +1 for Layla.

Eagles - Hotel California

Dire Straits - Private Investigations

Crowded House - Together Alone

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Dark Side of the Moon - "...and every thing under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon". :)
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Mr Blue Sky by ELO. Jeff Lynne gives you 80 seconds of what could have been another song. It's as if he has too many good ideas so he is going to use ALL of them, just a couple of bars at a time.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Another contender - Rosanna by Toto
  • Some good uns here.

But, maybe rather controversially, I absolutely cannot bear the Outro to Layla, I have to turn the radio down or run for cover. It seems to have the same effect on me as a bad dream I can't awaken from.

Please play the Single Edit ;-)

Fair play to people who like it, but I find it torturous.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Freebird! Especially combined with the end to The Devils Rejects!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Thin Lizzy's Don't Believe a Word.

Pictures of Home - Deep Purple.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Marillion - Forgotten sons

John Cale - 4'33" (almost as good as the intro)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    ddlooping;72815" said:
    Dark Side of the Moon - "...and every thing under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon". :)
    That would have been my choice too.

Add the reprise to breathe after Time too for my tastes.

@axisus

Forgotten Sons oh yes and a fair few other Marillion songs besides, they did outros and codas just lovely

Stranglers related I still love the outro to Peaches among others of theirs.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Another Brick in the Wall
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849

Steely Dan-Kid Charlemagne

Larry Carlton's outro solo pure magic.. starts at 3.55

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Starts at 1.19 ends at 2.55. Is that technically an outro? 

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    The end of six degrees of inner turbulence - over a minute of a single chord decaying :) GENIUSES!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • equalsql said:

Steely Dan-Kid Charlemagne

Larry Carlton's outro solo pure magic.. starts at 3.55

Now we're talking!

Great Choice

• Oooh tough one, but given that it's scientifically proven to have the best intro in the world already I'm gonna go with the alternating time sig bit at the end of davidian.

I rip off that idea pretty much constantly
  • Starts at 1.19 ends at 2.55. Is that technically an outro? 

Go on then ;-)

Then I can have this one.

from 3:00 ish

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited November 2013
    Good calls on Kid Charlemagne and the Journey one (there are others of theirs too BC, and Giant ) ;)

And while we're on Steely Dan, "Haitian Divorce" at 4.43 - same chord change as on the Eagle's outro for "I can't tell you why" and Fleetwood Mac's "Mystified"

Jellyfish's "New Mistake" - the build up from 2.54 and how each bit is added at every turn. In fact, have a listen to the whole song for a perfectly crafted pop toon! Great guitars too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Probably not alternative enough for you guys, and certainly not the best,  but what about RHCP Under The Bridge very simple but nice (from 4.03)

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Kebabkid said:

Jellyfish's "New Mistake" - the build up from 2.54 and how each bit is added at every turn. In fact, have a listen to the whole song for a perfectly crafted pop toon! Great guitars too.

Very nice that!  Never heard of this band before but will definitely be checking more of their stuff out. Have a wisdom on me for the heads up 

:D
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    daveww said:
    Probably not alternative enough for you guys, and certainly not the best,  but what about RHCP Under The Bridge very simple but nice (from 4.03)

Nice but not a patch on SPS Dave.
    I play at my dining room table.