Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Rugby Union Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    @Koneguitarist, it is remarkable how a few, like yourself, seem to think ill of BOD.  He is now past his best but still worth his place on the team.  On almost any team in fact.

And I am puzzled how you can state that a Wales win is an upset.  Wales are the reigning champions.  An Irish win would be an upset as we are missing quite a few first choice players.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Missing numbers has never been an issue that we have been able to use. Yet we are losing players left right and centre to France and England, our whole game is in turmoil, and we are playing badly with players banned and injured !

As for Irish players, Rob Kearney mentioned the grudge as well as others. 
    There will be trouble during game I am sure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tbmtbm Frets: 541
    Ah Koneballs! You've been reading the comments on WalesOnline...  There'll be no more of an edge to it then there would have been in the last few years. It's become one of the key games for both teams. Lydiate, Kearney, Murray, Cuthbert have all been saying how well they got on down under, how they are mates. But they will play a hard game of rugby against each other, same as v the English or Scots. What Kearney mentioned was that he feels he felt like a 5th wheel down under as 1/2p was undroppable. I still don't know how Kearney got on that tour. His form didn't merit it.

What Wales have had over Ireland in the last few seasons is the simple fact that going into international camp brings the best out of the Welsh players. The exact opposite was true in Ireland. It was steadily downhill since '09 with DK. Yeah Wales are losing players now, but it doesn't explain why the regions have been crap in the H Cup for years with the same players, yet with Gatty gets a hold of them they become this immense unit. Schmidt may end up having that galvanising effect on the Irish lads but it's too early to tell.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We have some good players, but Gatland is a great coach. The regions have been mismanaged and coached since day 1. Ireland always sought the best coaches they could, we just sacked the ones we had then hired their assistants to do same job but worse.

I will be honest, I don't like Bod, he has always struck me as someone with an attitude to refs, like how dare you penalise me, and he seems to have gotten bitter over the years. If he had retired 2 years ago it would have been as a legend, now (still a good player ) he is holding up development of younger players for Ireland. I also think he is a quite open dirty player, not sure how he has got away with his stamping for so long till last year against Italy.

Let battle commence Saturday. It will be spicy I can assure you, mike Phillips won't stand back from it !
  • yet another welsh international  leaves !

Bradley Davies - Wasps (from 2014)

Lee Byrne - Clermont Auvergne (joining Dragons 2014)

Luke Charteris - Perpignan

Leigh Halfpenny - Toulon (from 2014)

James Hook - Perpignan

Dan Lydiate - Racing Metro

Jamie Roberts - Racing Metro

Mike Phillips - Racing Metro

George North - Northampton

Paul James - Bath

Craig Mitchell - Exeter (joining Blues 2014)

Jon Davies - Clermont (from 2014)

Ian Evans - Toulon (from 2014)

You think many of the others with do the central contract thing? It's just Warbs at this stage right?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It is just Warbs, but I can see others doing it, I think Warbs had pressure as captain to set an example. Could have backfired mind you.
    I think Priestland will sign a central contract soon as well.
    edited February 2014
    Nice blog post on how subs affected games recenly, focusing on Le Crunch at the weekend there.

Kone, would you rate Priestland ahead of Biggar?

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    I would,  I think he's more a "complete" 10............. or at least he appears that ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    I dunno, I've seen Biggar really pull it out for Ospreys when it's been required. Priestland is probably a smidge more creative, but Biggar has better big game mentality.

I bet you were tempted to write  'Biggar and bigger"   in that sentence ?  

:D
  • Biggar wants to be Wilkinson, Priestland wants to be Priestland.

By that I mean Biggar is the type of player with better kicks and strategy behind a big pack going forward.

Priestland will play what`s in front of him and react accordingly, a more complete natural who reads the game better. But like most instinctive players, can be up and down with confidence. I would like Biggar on bench behind Priestland.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    edited February 2014
    Here yopu go guys- my article from the weekend with Brian Liebenberg. Enjoy.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Read it already, always do, quite good this one. Cheers.
  • Gassage. how about some predictions for this weekend.

Do you think there is gonna be some needle in Wales Ireland Match ?

What chance Scotland  ?

edited February 2014
    Just re the Wales/Italy game, Wales were lucky Andrea Lo Cicero and Salvatore Peruguni have hung up their venerable boots. Both world class looseheads. That game was won due to the pressure Bomb applied on the rookie loosehead Michele Rizzo.

edited February 2014
    Kone:  this goes up tomorrow 6am- have a sneak preview on me!

With the Six Nations bandwagon gaining momentum, this weekend’s second round promises to both surprise and tantalize, as England travel to Murrayfield, Wales are tested in Dublin and France face the physicality of Italy in Rome.

With commitment and skill under the spotlight, Planet Rugby’s James While takes a little muse on the key match ups of the weekend ahead:

Ireland v Wales:

As Gatland’s men stuttered and stammered to an unconvincing home win against a feisty Italian side, Ireland were comfortably disposing of an unimpressive Scotland in the Aviva Stadium

There’s a few Irishmen still bitter about the Welsh coach’s unceremonious dumping of the Prodigal Son of Leinster, the warrior himself, Brian O’Driscoll, during the British and Irish Lions tour last summer.

This week the man known to all as ‘Drico’ lines up against the ever improving Scott Williams of Wales and, in possibly his last Six Nations season, the evergreen Dubliner will be wanting to prove a point, especially as he’s reunited with his partner in crime since U11 age group rugby, the sublime Gordon D’Arcy.

Factor in too that Wales’ inside centre Jamie Roberts closed the game off in typical fashion against Italy and it’s a midfield battle to whet the appetite. 

The guile and offloading of D’Arcy and the coruscating pace of O’Driscoll versus the power of Roberts and the pragmatism of Williams.  It’s corker of a match up and one for the midfield connoisseurs for sure.

It is a battle that’ll have all fans of the sport salivating and one almost too close to call, but with points to prove to Warren Garland, we think that the Irishmen may just shade it. 

Scotland v England:

England have managed to throw away two close games against top ranked opposition in consecutive outings. Undoubtedly they’ll be looking to impose themselves physically on a Scottish side that brings consistency only in their ability to underperform.

Right in the engine room of this maelstrom will be the duel between the respective enforcers, locks Courtney Lawes and ‘Big’ Jim Hamilton.

Neither are noted for rugby subtlety. Big hits, power rucking and high quality line out ball combine with massive physical presences for both men. 

Scotland improved greatly in the set piece in the November tests, the hard-scrummaging Hamilton learning quickly from some of the New Zealand line out calls to deliver a couple of sterling performances in that area later on in the month. Meanwhile Lawes has transformed himself from a sometimes clumsy penalty merchant into a convincing forward leader and crushing tackler.

The similarities between the two big men are striking; both tower well over two meters tall and crush the scales at 120kg. Both are abrasive to the edge of the law and both have a seriously impressive amount of body art adorning their gangling arms!

It will truly be the immovable object meeting the irresistible force and brings a real edge to the fixture. Our view is Courtney probably has a few more facets to his game than Hamilton, so we’ll cower behind our settee, let the impacts begin and call Lawes to take the honours.

Italy v France:

This promises to be another bruising encounter as a lot of national pride is at stake here, with Italy and France on a collective upward curve in form and function.

Both countries love to compete in so many areas; art, literature, culinary skill, fashion; but one thing they love most of all is scrummaging!

This is one for all the denizens of the dark arts. Arguably the best two tightheads in world rugby anchor their respective scrums in the bull-like Nicolas Mas and the hirsute Martin Castrogiovanni. In the middle, Benjamin Keyser is noted for his tight work and the Italian veteran Leonardo Ghiraldini is not so far behind. 

However, on the loosehead, Italy have retired their two propping stalwarts in Salvatore Peruguni and the Count himself,  test centurion Andrea Lo Cicero, thus leaving a relative rookie in Michele Rizzo to fill the number 1 shirt. Rizzo was well and truly taught a lesson by the propping legend that is Adam Jones during the Welsh fixture last week and he will not be relishing the attention of the equally merciless Frenchmen.

With French loosehead Thomas Domingo in compelling form, we believe that the diminutive but technically brilliant Clermont man will just add extra impetus to the Gallic front row and that France will steal the show, but it promises to be a battle of epic proportions.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Seems like the BBC Sport writers are attempting to hype up the Ireland -v- Wales match tomorrow.  http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26040258

One wonders why.  [Perhaps it is Englands failure against the French :)]
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Agreed, I think Ireland will just nick it, but depends on how Wayne Barnes refs the Scrum.

France to beat Italy by 10 or more pts.

England could lose to Scotland, doubt it, but the Scots luck has to change soon, and confidence could be a factor with England at the moment. Head says England by 10 heart say scots by 3

edited February 2014
    Kone: re the questions about this weekend....

I honestly think Wales will lose. There's so many points for the Irish to prove and I think picking Geth over Paul James is a mistake. Wales will play route 1, the Irish will welcome that, and will use the midfield trio working off Healy and the back row to create space.

Scotland England is a tough one. The Murrayfield pitch will negate Eng's massive scrum superiority, and will prevent Billy and Morgan from power running. It'll be a game that'll turn on one moment. Logic says England.

Italy/Fr. If Lo Cich or Peruguni could be there to combat Mas, I honestly would've fancied Italy as an ouside bet. Players will tell you the most physical side in the 6N are the Azzuri. I guess if Sergio the Great cuts loose (with the criminally under-rated Zanni beside him) there could be a shock, but I think Rizzo will get a new one torn by Domingo and France will have too much power.

edited February 2014
    Rocker said:
    Seems like the BBC Sport writers are attempting to hype up the Ireland -v- Wales match tomorrow.  http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26040258

I honestly have forgotten more about the game than the the guy who wrote this will ever, ever know in his journalistic career. I also object to people attempting to alienate rugby fan comaraderie.

Agreed, I think Ireland will just nick it, but depends on how Wayne Barnes refs the Scrum.

England could lose to Scotland, doubt it, but the Scots luck has to change soon, and confidence could be a factor with England at the moment. Head says England by 10 heart say scots by 3

Spot on on all 3. Wanna do my piece next week? 

It's with Tindall. Me Mum sent me a text tonight and said 'don't forget to ask about the baby!"

• Gassage said:

Agreed, I think Ireland will just nick it, but depends on how Wayne Barnes refs the Scrum.

Spot on on all 3. Wanna do my piece next week? 

It's with Tindall. Me Mum sent me a text tonight and said 'don't forget to ask about the baby!"
    Ask when he`s gonna get his nose done more like. Great defensive player in his day
    :)>-
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I do think there is spite and a certain amount of nasty ness in this match, there is a genuine mutual dislike of each other.

I know players will get on with each other after the match etc, and the fans generally have a good laugh, but this will flare up.

If I was Edwards, I would be telling the welsh players stay calm, but needle certain irish players so they lose the plot.

Barnes will not stand for any off the ball stuff, and the irish could be suckered into it.

My or
    Rocker;155768" said:

That BBC article is some of the worst crap I've read on international rugby. Ever.

• tbm said:
    My or
    Rocker;155768" said:

That BBC article is some of the worst crap I've read on international rugby. Ever.

I am not sure why, whether it's Bods last 6nations, or because he got dropped, maybe just this has been brewing for a while, but this one is brewing up to be a bit wild.
    BBC and other press are stirring it agreed, but there is some needle there.
    edited February 2014
    so skipper Brown is dropped, for a more 'george smith' type ball winning player......... Scotlands intentions of wanting to win more at the loose,  is that signalling a desire for openess ? ?
    Guys- just done a statistical piece- some useful info here. Would appreciate feedback as this is the first of a new format:

It's in 2 posts.

With the Second Round of the RBS Six Nations upon us, Planet Rugby takes a look at the key statistics that will inform the fortunes of the teams at the weekend;

Ireland v Wales:

With Ireland in compelling form disposing of a below-par Scotland in Dublin, and Wales struggling to over come a spirited display by a resurgent and expansive Italy,  both teams will rely upon a strong defence but look for improvement in the ball carrying areas.

Wales’ 94% tackle completion last weekend showed their outstanding resistance and organization. Yet their ball carrying was amongst the poorest of the teams, with lock Alun-Wyn Jones (15 carries) leading their efforts, and the Welsh were second only to Scotland in terms of fewest overall metres made in the match (330). However, these statistics also prove that Wales are the most successful side in turning metres made into tries, which demonstrates a ruthless efficiency with ball in hand.

They showed a reliance on the boot to both clear and to attack with fly half Rhys Priestland kicking 16 times for touch or territory safe in the knowledge that British and Irish Lions second row Alun-Wyn Jones was the dominant line out force of the tournament with 7 wins, including 2 steals.

Ireland showed a strong carrying ability with 434m made overall from 137 carries, but worrying for Joe Schmidt will be their inability to offload, as they only managed to release the ball from contact on 6 occasions.

The Irish dangerman is flyhalf Johnny Sexton, who beat 5 defenders, including throwing the sublime feint and go to release skipper Jamie Heaslip for a galloping 30m try.

With Wales ever reliant on the boot of Leigh Halfpenny, the Irish discipline should stand the home team in good stead; they conceded a meager 7 penalties against Scotland, whilst Wales, who showed relative indiscipline with 14 offences, will be concerned about Johnny Sexton’s influence on the penalty exchanges.

The stats look to suggest it’ll be a game decided upon the effectiveness of the Welsh defence and the power of the Irish carrying, with Wales undoubtedly looking to prevent release at the breakdown, and using their outstanding efficiency in possession and attack to seal the game.

edited February 2014

Scotland v England:

It’s often held in rugby circles that England need a high possession statistic to win matches. They underlined this by managing to lose to France after enjoying an amazing 66% possession rate and spending an incredible 68% of the match in the French half, yet losing by 2 points!

This suggests England are very inefficient at converting their advantage into points, something Stuart Lancaster will want to change dramatically. However, he will be warmed the carrying ability of both of his big number eights, who managed 23 incursions between them for a massive 141m gain.

The battle of the breakdown will be an interesting contest; both teams were strong in this area with the Scots edging the contest with 10 turnovers against 9 from England. However, if you then factor in that England were very dominant in possession, this suggests they have a greater efficiency at the contact area and that the visitors should win the contest of the breakdown.

England will want to counter the threat of Scottish dangerman Stuart Hogg, who showed a willingness to run with ball in hand, topping the weekend log with 3 clean line breaks, 6 defenders beaten for an impressive 75m gain.

However, the most telling statistic is the strength of the Scots’ line defence. Duncan Weir, Tim Swinson and Alex Dunbar combined to deliver an astonishing 44 tackles between them, missing only 3. 

The Scottish defensive strength and the English power will ensure that the gainline battle will be key to the fortunes of both sides, with England looking to batter through a very effective home defence. Expect a massive scrap in the middle third of the pitch.

As in recent years, Scotland’s best opportunity appears to be an individual line break or turnover play to score against the tide, whilst England need to improve their possession/points ratio to secure the win.

Italy v France:

Italy will go into this game warmed by their showing against Wales. The ever dangerous Sergio Parisse predictably headed the weekend carries with a massive 22 incursions, although 10 of those started in his own half from a defensive position.

Rookie Michele Campagnaro was Round 1’s most effective attacker, making 107m for 10 points, a return of high quality for the Benetton Treviso youngster, especially when you consider the 94% completion ratio of the outstanding Welsh defence.

The French meanwhile go into the match with the most effective scrummage on view, managing to disrupt the much vaunted English 8 on 3 occasions, yet winning all of their own ball. Italy on the other hand suffered greatly at the hands of Adam Jones, conceding 2 scrum penalties and losing a further 3 contests to the Welsh.

Bearing in mind the efficiency of the Italian runners, France need to improve their defensive effort from the poor 82% completion rate displayed last weekend.

However, a solid platform is key to test rugby, and we expect France to play a tight game and press home their front row advantage to take the game in a tight contest.