Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Instant Jazz - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Instant Jazz

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    GuyBoden said:
    There's some players who want to play "JAZZ", but never listen to any Jazz music. I find this very puzzling..............
    I can kind of understand this. Perhaps those people want to know more about creating interesting harmonies and extended/altered chords but find most music classified as 'jazz' tedious to listen to.

tbh I am a bit like that. The sort of music played on Jazz record requests on Radio 3 and big band stuff, can't stand it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    mellowsun said:
    GuyBoden said:
    There's some players who want to play "JAZZ", but never listen to any Jazz music. I find this very puzzling..............
    I can kind of understand this. Perhaps those people want to know more about creating interesting harmonies and extended/altered chords but find most music classified as 'jazz' tedious to listen to.

tbh I am a bit like that. The sort of music played on Jazz record requests on Radio 3 and big band stuff, can't stand it. 
    Yeah, the modern stuff is best.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    Dam, there was me thinking this thread may have the answers to my prayers.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3260
    mellowsun said:
    GuyBoden said:

I'm not a jazz fan either… just not my thing…
    that said, I love Gypsy Jazz when it's done well..
    it has this wonderful cheeky quality.. vibrant and fun..
    but under all that is a level of musicianship that's absolutely 1st class
    play every note as if it were your first
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Clarky said:

no matter what you want to play well, classical, shred, jazz, country... anything really..

there's no short cut.. and each style is pretty much a lifestyle in its own right..

plus.... there are very few players multi-discipline players that are serious masters of jazz and metal shred and country etc..

the only one I can think of that can is Guthrie... he's one of a kind and should be in the circus cos he ain't normal...

I've never heard him play convincing actual metal. It's always that shreddy variation on metal.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Anyone else watch Wynton Marsalis last night? It was wonderful.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    ROOG said:
    Close, the thread you're looking for is here
    The Universal All-Purpose Jazz Chord - 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    bigjon said:
    ROOG said:
    Close, the thread you're looking for is here
    The Universal All-Purpose Jazz Chord - 

No you're wrong, this is the only chord you need for Jazz:
    ;)

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3260
    Clarky said:

no matter what you want to play well, classical, shred, jazz, country... anything really..

there's no short cut.. and each style is pretty much a lifestyle in its own right..

plus.... there are very few players multi-discipline players that are serious masters of jazz and metal shred and country etc..

the only one I can think of that can is Guthrie... he's one of a kind and should be in the circus cos he ain't normal...

I've never heard him play convincing actual metal. It's always that shreddy variation on metal.
    I know what you mean.. but then metal ain't really his thing I guess..
    play every note as if it were your first