Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Holy cow! Not sure if this is under effects or amps... - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Holy cow! Not sure if this is under effects or amps...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited October 2013
    I can't listen to these clips at the moment unfortunately, but I would have to say there's a reason that Rectifier simulations don't sound convincing... contrary to popular belief that it gets all it's tone from the preamp (and it is true that usually all the clipping distortion is happening there), it's the power amp that gives it the tone. It's actually quite unusual - very saggy and loose for a high-gain amp, even when it's in solid-state diode mode. It's this that gives it the huge boomy scooped sound which everyone (correctly, although it can do a lot of other sounds too) associates with them.

You will not get that sound with a preamp into a different type of power amp no matter how close the preamp is - guitarfishbay's 'frankenamp' experiment proves why, and that's with an actual Rectifier preamp and a valve power amp.

I'm saying this because I love that Rectifier looseness and I'm most familiar with it, but I don't doubt the same applies to other people's favourite valve amps as well - reproducing the preamp sound is fairly easy, it's the power amp which isn't. In amps with a lot of sag it actually affects the sound of the preamp, too - since both are fed from the same power supply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bntylrbntylr Frets: 8
    I've used both the S1 and the R1 into the loop of a friends Randall. Both sounded a lot better than the amps own pre amp (which admittedly isn't fantastic)

We a/b'd them with a selection of other amps and we were both very impressed. Think they'd be a great thing to have as a backup if you're ever in a situation where you can't use your own amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    As you may know I've been having a similar thread. I think the Tech21 Blonde sounds pretty good as a backup for my tweed amp :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/