Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Want a challenge? Name this amp! - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Want a challenge? Name this amp!

What's Hot
Can you name this amp?

I was doing some recording today, and I wondered if anyone could name this amp based on a short section of some recordings.

No real clues for you. There's no pedals involved, and only two takes of the same riff just panned and arranged to get the finished product. The last round of the riff is the main riff in mono with no extra panning so you can get a clear rendition of it.

I'm interested in hear what people think they hear in this, whether it's Marshall vs Fender vs Vox or some other amp.

Even if you're not sure, I'm curious to read what you think you hear in there.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I hear "small tweed" as my first instinct, so I'd guess a Champ (or model/clone thereof), but that's pretty straw-clutchy. 

Could equally be something daft like a JCM800 through a 6" speaker!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited October 2013
    Could be anything, including a THR10. ;)
    It sounds like a straight to desk recording using a distortion of some sort. :)
  • Amplitube.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Sounds like the sound I can get from the MIC input of my Roland Microcube. I'll even go as far to say that it may not even be a guitar amp.
  • ddlooping said:
    Could be anything, including a THR10. ;)
    That's my guess 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Sounds digital to me. No idea beyond that!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1602
    ddlooping said:

It sounds like a straight to desk recording using a distortion of some sort. :)
    this. maybe not even a distortion. just overload

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1602
    or a Dumble. One of the two

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Reminds me of the sound I used to get playing into the mic input on an old Toshiba ghetto blaster I used to have. Raw.
  • Hilarious :) Some good guesses so far. I'll hold off on the answer for now.

Try this EQ'd version on for size.

• Does sound like a DI via OD of some sort.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Sounds so dry that it sounds DI'd. So something like a tech 21 or Palmer amp simulator.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • I'm utterly bewildered by some of the responses.
    I'm utterly bewildered by some of the responses.
    I guess they aren't what you were hoping for. :D
    edited October 2013
    Ooh, how about one of those weenie desktop Marshalls, Fenders or Danelectro amps, or even a Smokey (cigarette box) amp? I'm also veering toward an OD into a desk or direct into desk and overloading the signal.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Sounds like a tiny fender or squier 112 or something :)
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Doesn't sound like my Smokey to me. AFAIK the Marshall et al equivalents sound basically the same.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ddlooping, more that they are totally opposite to what comments others have given in different circles. Just an interesting reflection of how people hear things.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ddlooping, more that they are totally opposite to what comments others have given in different circles. Just an interesting reflection of how people hear things.
    Very curious now, please pm me the "solution". :D
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    markjwgraham;53439" said:
    ddlooping, more that they are totally opposite to what comments others have given in different circles. Just an interesting reflection of how people hear things.
    I was listening on my mobile phone whilst having a poo. That may not have been the best circumstances. But sounds like fake Marshall - MG or digital or amp simulation ( as I said above).
    Perhaps the point is there are so many variables that what the amp is may not always be that important.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Its buzzy and raspy, it sounds to me like something overloaded but not clipping in a valve like way, doesn't seem smooth enough for that.
  • It sounds digital - almost like a pod or something as a preamp direct into a recording device. Perhaps a preamp pedal, but it does have a digital thing going in the way the distortion gets quieter, rather than the sound getting cleaner. Could equally be an amp in total meltdown, where it's dirty regardless of what you do because the 6v6/el84 is at boiling point.

But realistically, beyond that, who knows? Recording is crazy, I remember watching a demo of how putting an sm57 to the centre of the cone, touching the grill cloth compared to edge away from it can make an amp sound totally different!

Could you PM me the answer? I'm intrigued :)
  • JVM 410h :))
    I'd like to know too, so can you PM me the answer and Mumsnet's the word!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Peavey Bandit?
    I play at my dining room table.
  • Very very interesting indeed.

I'll post the answer in a day or so. I can assure you it is a physical amp, nothing digital to be found here.

I also find it fascinating how various guitarists who've been listening to this elsewhere and that are on my singlechannelamp mailing list have guessed they were hearing a Marshall combo, some hear a Vox, some hear a Tweed... all of these guys listening to it independently and not reading each other's view points... and yet 90% of guys within this thread have jumped on the 'buzzy pedal into the desk' bandwagon with nary a different suggestion.

Just an interesting secondary point.
    edited October 2013
    Very very interesting indeed.

I'll post the answer in a day or so. I can assure you it is a physical amp, nothing digital to be found here.
    Mic'ed or DI'd?

Are you sure it isn't overdriving the desk/interface or the recording software as well? I ask because firstly it does sound quite like it, and secondly because the waveform graph looks extremely hard-limited, which is very difficult to get with a real amp no matter how much gain it has... and this one doesn't have a huge amount, in the recording.

In short it doesn't sound much like a physical analogue amp - let alone anything specific.

PM me if you have any extra info you're willing to share and I won't give it away :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Mic'd. Definitely isn't clipping. I ran it through some soft and then hard limiting compression to even it out which is why the waveform looks like that.
  • HH amp if it's a real amp then !
    Mic'd. Definitely isn't clipping. I ran it through some soft and then hard limiting compression to even it out which is why the waveform looks like that.
    Can you post the clip of the actual recording with no compression?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter