Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Diminished Scales ? (Head Hurts) ! - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Diminished Scales ? (Head Hurts) !

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• A couple more themes you could explore:
    1. Targeting chord tones.
    2. Take the appropriate scale and drop some notes so you restrict yourself to fewer notes, not more! Eg you could go aeolian and drop the 3rd and 7th, leaving you 1,2,4,5,b6. All the notes of the scale will still "fit" but the inherent scale sound will be different.

Idk if this will get you where you want to be, but hopefully you'll enjoy the journey!

@midiglitch

Thanks, I think the journey may prove to be a long one

;)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    @midiglitch wow that's true, never really thought of that.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah it's like sticking it to the man without breaking the rules ;)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

@frankus

Thanks for clearing those things up.

I'm hoping, in the long run, to adopt the same methods as yourself. It's just that on the learning curve, I think it makes me feel more assured and comfortable to be able to "name" something.

I'll keep plodding on

:)
    Be careful with the naming thing... I spent two years doing a reinforced block a particular way in Karate then one day I get told ... it's not a block (which I should know already - nothing is) and it's not reinforcing... ;) strange thing is I never thought a "spear hand strike" was for punching people with my finger tips ;)

Names are stuff to hang stuff off, sure enough but it's more fun to do stuff than mention it ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @frankus

Lol, I get the message.

Sort of like this message

FFW to 1:45

;)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    provided you mean the "names is for tombstones baby" it's a great quote although I can't watch Roger Moore Bond films these days :(
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus said:
    provided you mean the "names is for tombstones baby" it's a great quote although I can't watch Roger Moore Bond films these days :(

@frankus

Yep, that one!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've never understood modes, and prefer to do what Frankus said.  Except he clearly has an understanding of what he is doing - I play stuff that sounds good (well, to me) then play stuff over the top until it sounds good, and work out what I did.  And as I play heavy rock, it's very straightforward, with no real need to worry about complex chords or chord changes within the space of a beat (a la jazz).

Diminished arpeggios are just made for sweeping at the end of a solo, though ;)