Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). best ever live album? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

best ever live album?

What's Hot

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 302
    edited September 2013
    Cramps-Smell of the Female

The Birthday Party-Drunk On The Popes Blood
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    If this thread lasts long enough it will list every single 'live' album ever released.

Recently I have been listening to Unplugged by Eric Clapton. Hard to believe it was recorded in 1992, it sounds as fresh as ever especially on headphones (Superlux).
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sheik Yerbouti - FZ

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Another vote for Thin Lizzy, Live and Dangerous. Either way it's one of my favourites. ;) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Rocker said:
    If this thread lasts long enough it will list every single 'live' album ever released.

No, there are some real stinkers that you wonder why they ever saw the light of day, even for contractual reasons.

The Evanescence one springs first to mind...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band had a live album out way way back in the 1970s.  Just Googled it and it is called 'Live Bullet'.  If my memory serves me right, this was a good album.  That was when I had my first Linn LP12 turntable, Rega arm and Supex moving coil cartridge. Happy times...........  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• If we are allowed TV recordings as well the Stax Volt show in Norway circa 1967 is worth a watch too - it was on BBC4 a few months back, so will likely be repeated soon.

Worth it to see Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn playing through Marshalls. :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2013
    Just remebered David Gilmour's Remember That Night Albert Hall gig. Absolute belter start to finish, and worth it for the best versions of Comfortably Numb and Shine On.. alone
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • A lot of my favourite "live" albums are collections of highlights from more than one concert rather than a document of a single performance.  Also I'm struggling to think of any rock stuff to include.  Other genres seem to work better for me as live music.  

Van Morrison: "It's Too Late to Stop Now", I think his first live album and still easily his best with better versions of some of his contemporary material than the studio albums.  My favourite track is St Dominic's Preview. The ever subtle John Platania was an underrated guitarist.

Miles Davis:  "My Funny Valentine".  I love Miles, but I'm not the type who has the stamina for the complete Plugged Nickel box set and similar.  The is a great single album collection of the slower stuff from a single concert with the second classic quintet and maybe my favourite Miles album these days.

Marvin Gaye:" Live".  Actually I think this material has been recycled in various formats but I had the original album. Marred by only so-so sound and tasteless use of overdubbed audience response but get past that and the band and singing are stellar.  Distant Lover is unbelievable.  The bass playing is as good as you'd expect.

Sinatra (with Count Basie): Sinatra at the Sands.  The showbizzy side of Sinatra but on peak form and with a great band.  

Diana Krall: Paris Concert.  A lot of people are sniffy about Krall, thinking of her the kind of safe, middle-of-the-road music your granny likes. She hasn't got the dangerous intensity of Billie Holliday or the chops of Ella or Sarah Vaughan, but but I find her more enjoyable to listen to at album length.  And she has a great track record of hiring brilliant guitarists.

Mingus at Antibes: Mingus and  Dolphy at the top of their game.

B B King: Live at Cook County Jail.  Night of Blistering Blues or Live at the Regal might have bigger reputations but this was my introduction to King and still my favourite of his albums.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    If we are allowed TV recordings as well the Stax Volt show in Norway circa 1967 is worth a watch too - it was on BBC4 a few months back, so will likely be repeated soon.

Worth it to see Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn playing through Marshalls. :)
    Yeah, I enjoyed that. Quality stuff.

I want a Norwegian MC for our next gig!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2013

A new suggestion from me:

The Levellers at Glastonbury 1992.

Bootlegged for years of course then finally got an official release as a second disc on their album re-releases a few years ago (although 15 years is missing from that version).

From a slightly nervious start (the band in awe at the size of the crowd) it turns into the perfect union of band/audience/occasion.

Highlights for me are:

The roar from the crowd when Simon adds 'The Spaceman' verse to 'The Boatman"

The incendiary version of 'Battle of the Beanfield' (this was the year the travellers field was closed)

The raucous encore of "The Devil went Down to Georgia"

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603

A new suggestion from me:

The Levellers at Glastonbury 1992.

Bootlegged for years of course then finally got an official release as a second disc on their album re-releases a few years ago (although 15 years is missing from that version).

From a slightly nervious start (the band in awe at the size of the crowd) it turns into the perfect union of band/audience/occasion.

Highlights for me are:

The roar from the crowd when Simon adds 'The Spaceman' verse to 'The Boatman"

The incendiary version of 'Battle of the Beanfield' (this was the year the travellers field was closed)

The raucous encore of "The Devil went Down to Georgia"

I had no idea that existed. I was in that crowd. :(|)
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    edited October 2013
    too much wine to read the whole thread . . .

Juliet Turner - Live at the Spirit Store

Zappa - Tinseltown Rebellion

Graham Parker and the Rumour - The Parkerilla
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Live at the el Mocambo.
    Mick Hanly "Live at the Meeting Place" is about as live and real as any live album I have heard

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    viz said:
    Wow what a list. I have never given so many wisdoms in such a small thread. I would add Iron Maiden's Live After Death "Scream for me Hammersmith!!"

Agreed on L..A.D.

Also, Maiden's Death on the Road.

Floyd's Delicate sound of Thunder and Pulse

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Ramones - It's Alive.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mart said:
    For me, it has to be "Seconds Out".
    Me too, while I loved Genesis more before Peter Gabriel left, this is one great live album.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Muddy Waters - Live at Newport, and Live at Mr Kellys
    U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky(already mentioned but hey...)
    Kansas - Two For the Show, they still had all the original members and they pulled out all their best songs and played them even better(mostly).
    Big Brother and the Holding Company(Janis Joplin) Cheap Thrills, while not all the tracks are live here the ones that are rock.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• NickMNickM Frets: 1

Pat Travers Band - Live Go For What You Know (Travers and Thrall on fire!)

Gentle Giant - Playing The Fool (Obviously)

Todd Rundgren - Back To The Bars (The songs man, the songs)

Saga - In Transit (Seriously underrated Canucks)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm afraid it's a Family Fortunes style Uh-UUUUUUUURRRR from me for the Live After Death votes - to paraphrase Lennon, it's not even the best Iron Maiden live album.

Flight 666...NOW you're talking.  Or Death On The Road. Or Rock In Rio.

Rant over :D (Sorry!)

On a totally different tack, I really like Morrissey's live album Beethoven Was Deaf (significantly more than the reviewer whose only comments were "Beethoven was lucky" :) )

• Another vote here for Live & Dangerous also Iron Maiden's Live After Death as it was the first live album I ever bought (on cassette).

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    One of my favourites is How The West Was Won - Led Zeppelin - they are really good form on this. 3 discs of it, from acoustic stuff to 25 minute versions of Dazed and Confused to Whole Lotta Love.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    ^^ You need some boots man. There are some better shows than those believe it or not.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896

What a great thread!

Rather than add about 50 +1's (which would be very easy), I'll just put in a couple that haven't been mentioned:

MSG - One Night At Budokan

Threshold - Critical Energy

Pagan's Mind - Live Equation

Wishbone Ash - 30th anniversary concert

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    drwiddly said:
    MSG - One Night At Budokan
    Brilliant playing on that album.  There's a great lick at the end of that version of "Attack of the Mad Axeman" which I reckon finds its way into nearly every gig I've ever played! :)
  • 1. Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians - Gotta Let this Hen Out
    2. The Ramones - It's Alive
    3. Rain Parade - Beyond the Sunset
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9793
    edited November 2013
    Another vote for Lindisfarne Live at Newcastle. Can't listen to it without wishing I'd been there

Here's another acoustic album: Gasworks. They did a live show at the Marquee which was recorded, someone else overdubbed electric bass on it, and that was it. I actually saw them live in 1974 supporting Jonathan Kelly and I'd have been happy to hear the EllPee without the bass, but I can see that it would have added interest, for them that never saw Gasworks Live. http://gasworks.webs.com/

I did have a cassette recording of a show they did at the BBC (I think) but I doubt it would be playable now, even if I could find it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1470
    Framton comes live (Peter Frampton)
    Before the Flood. (Dylan and the Band)
    Slade Alive (Slade)
    Beatles live at the Holywood Bowl).
    Alchemy( Dire Straits)

• Blues Band Official Bootleg Album.

I don't actually own a copy of this but in the days I did voluntary work for my holidays one of the leaders had this on cassette and I thought it was rather excellent and it was our soundtrack for a week. Pretty much a blueprint for putting together a good pub blues band. In the current band I am trying to get off the ground we are doing one song off it and it still sounds good.

On one of the other voluntary work holidays there was an old record player and one LP. This was David Essex live, although the exact album title escapes me. So, hold me close, don't let me go, oh no...

:ar!
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break.