Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). best ever live album? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

best ever live album?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
Not 'the' best ever, but the one that you like best. 

I've found a lot of live albums a bit disappointing, particularly more modern ones. For me, a lot of the really great ones seemed to come out of the 70's. One that stands tall out of the pack in my opinion is RAINBOW - On Stage. I just love that album, it's a proper rock band playing awesome music, and the whole vibe is "LIVE" rather than 'here's a faithful reproduction of something we put together in the studio'. The only thing missing is Stargazer - they really should have put that on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Dire Straits Alchemy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Damned live at Shepperton 1980. Has to be The Who Live at Leeds after that.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    There are too many. If DVD's count, Live At Pompeii by Pink Floyd is feckin' UP THERE!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "Made in Japan".
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If I had to chose one, it would be 'Philentropy' by John Martyn.

In my youth 'Frampton Comes Alive' was constantly on my turntable and I loved to live tracks on 'Moonflower' by Santana.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I likes Weld by that there Neil Young
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Dire Straits Alchemy
    +1   I wore out my vinyl copy of that.

Live and Dangerous is superb

Exit Stage left was great at the time but for me it has been eclipsed by more recent Rush live albums.

• Focus - Live at the Rainbow - May 1973   -  that's *the* one for me.

I was there and very impressionable, and was very impressed, a gig and an album that changed my life.

Live always had that extra energy that gets produced out of studio mixes.  Like @axisus says as long as it is not "a faithful reproduction of something we put together in the studio", because then it looses some of it's soul.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    +1 for Made In Japan, Alchemy, Live At Leeds and Weld.

I'll add...

The Killers - Live From The Royal Albert Hall

and

Heather Nova - Wonderlust

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    Wow what a list. I have never given so many wisdoms in such a small thread. I would add Iron Maiden's Live After Death "Scream for me Hammersmith!!"
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2013
    Another +1 for Thin Lizzy's "Live & Dangerous" although having read various things by their producer, Tony Visconti, I'm not sure how much of it is actually live! But nonetheless, a classic.

Santana's "Moonflower" a close second

And something a bit different are:-
    Paco De Lucia's Sextet - "One Summer Night" & Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola and John McLaughlin's "One Night in San Francisco".
  • Pulse
    Kebabkid said:

Paco De Lucia's Sextet - "One Summer Night" & Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola and John McLaughlin's "One Night in San Francisco".
    Friday night in San Fancisco is a superb album -  there's a lot of notes on that recording and I loved the way you could pan to hear individual players.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    John_P said:
    Kebabkid said:

Friday night in San Fancisco is a superb album -  there's a lot of notes on that recording and I loved the way you could pan to hear individual players.
    Yep, great album that.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Slade Alive, loud, exciting and fun. Everything that a rock band should be.

Status Quo Live, don't be fooled by the modern day Quo that appears on every other TV programme playing the same old songs. This double LP shows why they were regarded as a great rock band back in the day
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Thanks John P and sorry, yes, "Friday Night In San Francisco" :)
    Have a Norman for correcting me
  • Another +1 for Thin Lizzy - Alive and Dangerous, even if it is supposedly half a studio album.
    Pulse
    +1   although it doesn't sound as good, I slightly prefer Delicate Sound of Thunder
  • Usually anything with Fillmore in the title is pretty ace.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• The Stranglers - Live x Cert

And since Pulse was mentioned already.

Marillion - The Thieving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra)
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "Is There Anybody Out There?" is my favourite live Floyd :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
    No sleep till Hammersmith- Motorhead

Paris Au Printemps- P.I.L

• The Who Live at Leeds
    Wishbone Ash Live Dates - Both Vol I and Vol II
    +1 to Rainbow Live On Stage
    +1 to Focus Live at the Rainbow (although tbh I thought Hocus Pocus was TOO fast - Jan Akkerman was tangling his fingers in knots trying to keep up with it)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 673
    All floyd stuff, plus I really love pearl jam @ Madison square garden
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    edited September 2013
    +1 for Pulse, Live in Pompei, Made in Japan, and Live at Leeds. 

For DVDs I'd like to add U2 at Slane Castle, Eric Clapton in Hyde Park, and SRV Live at El Morcambo.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    Thin Lizzy's Live and dangerous doesn't count - it was virtually rerecorded in the studio.

For classic British rock Whitesnake Live in the still of the night takes some beating ... there's a DVD as well .. no overdubs.

The Police Certifiable ...

Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's

Wes Montgomery - Smokin' at the blue note
    Led Zep - How the west was won
    Focus Live at the BBC [better than the Rainbow concert]

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595

+1 to Focus Live at the Rainbow (although tbh I thought Hocus Pocus was TOO fast - Jan Akkerman was tangling his fingers in knots trying to keep up with it)
    Someone slipped Jan a 'dodgy' cigarette - he had a Carlo Santana 'Woodstock' moment  .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited September 2013
    I love counting crows - across a wire. Never get bored of that.
    Or the GNR live CD...

Incidentally, there were two versions of Pulse, one with a flashing light and one without. In the photo of the crowd inside the one without the light, I am sitting there with my buddy Simon. Awesome gig that was. I was 17...

• Easy one for me

Bob Dylan - 1966 at the Manchester Free Trade hall. It's one of the bootleg series (4?) and is truly great. First disc is himself with an acoustic guitar winding his way through songs. Second disc is with The Hawks (aka The Band) and a masterclass in audience baiting and brilliantly tight rock and roll. There's the infamous "Judas" heckle to which Mr Z replies "I don't believe you" and as the band count into Like a Rolling Stone you can hear him just off the mic shouting "play fucking loud!" :)
  • Oh yes, a big +1 to  -  Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's

and what a great rhythm section too.  Those drums are tighter than a tight thing.  and...