Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recommend a bourbon. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recommend a bourbon.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    elstoof said:
    The Whiskey market is wild. I worked in a cocktail bar 20 years ago, we had Blanton’s as our house whiskey and everyone moaned that it wasn’t JD. 4 different Van Winkles on the back bar which no one touched. I bought a bottle of Sazerac 18 for 80 quid, I think it’s the best whiskey I ever drank. I only think, because I mainly just made manhattans with it, but they were the best I ever had. It’s close to 2 grand a bottle now if you can find it
    I’ve got 4/5ths of a bottle here of George T Stagg that I paid retail for - around £100 - maybe 7 or 8 years ago tops. Googling it now is painful and I’m not even sure I should have opened it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    edited October 2023
    Whitecat said:
    MikeS said:
    I think a 12 year old Weller, is where it's at for quality, taste, and affordability. £250 or thereabouts. Not really much that ticks all Bourbon boxes like a Weller. I'd be a happy pal.
    That is mental money though for that. A few years ago I was buying it for around £50 a bottle which is closer to where it should be. It’s good stuff, but not £250 good. 

He's a pal though, and I don't think it's a lot. And there's not better for that price. None of the other stuff mentioned comes anywhere close, and remember his pal likes Bourbon. Half the stuff mentioned is fit only for mixing or paint stripper. Hardly fit for a pal that likes Bourbon. Is it a gesture or a present for a pal?. If its a present for a pal that likes Bourbon, and Old Pappy Van Winkle is out budget =) , I know where my money would go. A few years ago USA Strats were £550.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    I've got a sweet tooth but I adore Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon.  
    edited October 2023
    MikeS said:
    Whitecat said:
    MikeS said:
    I think a 12 year old Weller, is where it's at for quality, taste, and affordability. £250 or thereabouts. Not really much that ticks all Bourbon boxes like a Weller. I'd be a happy pal.
    That is mental money though for that. A few years ago I was buying it for around £50 a bottle which is closer to where it should be. It’s good stuff, but not £250 good. 

He's a pal though, and I don't think it's a lot. And there's not better for that price. None of the other stuff mentioned comes anywhere close, and remember his pal likes Bourbon. Half the stuff mentioned is fit only for mixing or paint stripper. Hardly fit for a pal that likes Bourbon. Is it a gesture or a present for a pal?. If it’s a present for a pal that likes Bourbon, and Old Pappy Van Winkle is out budget , I know where my money would go. A few years ago USA Strats were £550.

For that money I’d have two bottles of Wild Turkey Rare Breed and have quite a bit of money leftover. If his pal knows his bourbon he’ll understand why few people in their right mind would pay £250 for Weller. It’s just not that special. 

Comparing it to the price of guitars is disingenuous at best as the price of that stuff has nothing to do with inflation or even greed on the part of the maker - it’s entirely secondary market driven and based on low availability that has made it that price. It SHOULD still be well under £100, but it isn’t because people gonna people. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Elijah Craig small batch...... lovely
    Elijah Craig small batch...... lovely
    Good shout - or even EC Barrel Proof if OP wants to get into the slightly spendier stuff. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Woodford or Buffalo Trace, but I prefer Maker's Mark for Old Fashioneds. Maker's Mark looks nice as a gift with its waxed stopper.
  • dano said:
    Another +1 for Buffalo Trace. Its quite good and Tescos have it in offer when I was in there this evening 
    I thought it was good too when I bought a bottle, I think it's pretty cheap so good value.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • sweavesweave Frets: 60
    If considering Woodfords then look at Waitrose as they have some special bottlings of Woodford that are much better than the standard stuff, but not much pricier