Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recommend a bourbon. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recommend a bourbon.

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
edited October 2023 in Off Topic
and not Louis the 14th before you all start!

I want to get a bottle for someone as a prezzy, what's good for wetting a whistle these days???
Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Redemption. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    Woodford Reserve
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    edited October 2023
    Sazerac isn’t bourbon, not a bad rye though. I prefer Rittenhouse. 

Blanton’s is always a good choice bourbon, pretty bottle and good gear in it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    I don't mind other suggestions, as long as it would be palatable to a bourbon drinker
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Rye is a bit more of an acquired taste in my experience, I wouldn’t gift it unless you know they love it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99 said:
    I don't mind other suggestions, as long as it would be palatable to a bourbon drinker
    Yes, if your friend enjoys making Old Fashioneds etc, a rye is also a good tipple. 
  • Sassafras said:

This, but if you're careful you can separate the two halves. The filling will stick (mostly) to one or the other, so you can separate two bourbons, combine two of the filling-y halves and get a superbourbon.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 451
    Knob Creek.
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 108
    vanlooy1 said:
    Knob Creek.
    Have you tried oiling it?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 742
    Old Pappy Van Winkle if you can find (and afford) a bottle. Absolutely terrific.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    edited October 2023
    Absolutely 100% recommend Wild Turkey Rare Breed if budget will stretch; it’s usually around £58 and worth every penny. If that’s a bit spenny, longbranch is also glorious, and around the £35 mark. 
  • oh_pollo said:
    Old Pappy Van Winkle if you can find (and afford) a bottle. Absolutely terrific.
    This is also delicious. 
    If you’re gifting Van Winkle, I’ll be your friend 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweavesweave Frets: 60
    Eagle Rare is good vfm @ £35 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Great that, thanks all !!
  • Woodford is on offer fairly often, that's my go to.
    I've got Woodford Double Oaked on the go at the moment - very nice. Most intense flavour wise out of all the ones I've tried.
    Wild Turkey Longbranch is very good

Wasn't that keen on the standard Makers Mark. 
    Didn't like Bulleit Bourbon at all really
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    I like woodford reserve if you're looking for something nice and reasonably fancy but not super expensive.
    Woodford is a tenner off with a nectar card at the moment too
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    I think a 12 year old Weller, is where it's at for quality, taste, and affordability. £250 or thereabouts. Not really much that ticks all Bourbon boxes like a Weller. I'd be a happy pal.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 863
    edited October 2023
    sweave said:
    Eagle Rare is good vfm @ £35 
    I concur with this. I also like Makers Mark.

Not so keen on Bulleit or Woodford.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • I like Bulleit well enough as a “cheap as I’ll go” kinda tipple. Woodford is a bit bland for my liking - doesn’t really do much of anything. 
  • I like Bulleit well enough as a “cheap as I’ll go” kinda tipple. Woodford is a bit bland for my liking - doesn’t really do much of anything. 
    Agree with this. I think if it’s a special occasion, you want to stay away from supermarket stuff. Get on master of malt and find something delicious. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    MikeS said:
    I think a 12 year old Weller, is where it's at for quality, taste, and affordability. £250 or thereabouts. Not really much that ticks all Bourbon boxes like a Weller. I'd be a happy pal.
    That is mental money though for that. A few years ago I was buying it for around £50 a bottle which is closer to where it should be. It’s good stuff, but not £250 good. 

Agree with the Eagle Rare or Wild Turkey suggestions. Even bog-standard Buffalo Trace is usually a safe choice - Eagle Rare is just a single barrel version of same (and thus can be better but is more subject to bottle variation). 

Another secret favourite here is Evan Williams White Label Bottled-in-bond. Being a BiB it’s a higher proof and I think it’s pretty good for something that’s also easily available and generally under £50. 

• Whitecat said:
    MikeS said:
    That is mental money though for that. A few years ago I was buying it for around £50 a bottle which is closer to where it should be. It’s good stuff, but not £250 good. 

Agree with the Eagle Rare or Wild Turkey suggestions. Even bog-standard Buffalo Trace is usually a safe choice - Eagle Rare is just a single barrel version of same (and thus can be better but is more subject to bottle variation). 

Another secret favourite here is Evan Williams White Label Bottled-in-bond. Being a BiB it’s a higher proof and I think it’s pretty good for something that’s also easily available and generally under £50. 

Aye, rare breed is 58.8% too. Like a delicious anaesthetic. 
    The Whiskey market is wild. I worked in a cocktail bar 20 years ago, we had Blanton’s as our house whiskey and everyone moaned that it wasn’t JD. 4 different Van Winkles on the back bar which no one touched. I bought a bottle of Sazerac 18 for 80 quid, I think it’s the best whiskey I ever drank. I only think, because I mainly just made manhattans with it, but they were the best I ever had. It’s close to 2 grand a bottle now if you can find it
  • What about the rather excellent album "Bourbon Legends" by Spliff Wizard?

https://spotify.link/PJWqNuLmQDb
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Not bourbon..
    But If you (anyone) want a world class special whisky
    Springbank 10 year old single malt.
    cheapest ive found below, normally £100+ these days
    https://www.lochfynewhiskies.com/springbank-10-year-old

Dont worry, be silly.
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    edited October 2023
    Another +1 for Buffalo Trace. Its quite good and Tescos have it in offer when I was in there this evening