Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). It's pointy - has a 'nail on combine harvester' trem and I bought it. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

It's pointy - has a 'nail on combine harvester' trem and I bought it.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    Although I listen to many a player of pointy guitars, I've never really wanted to own one, but I applaud your choice nonetheless.  Is that a set-neck, or a bolt-on?
    Bolt on ... basically the same neck as the whole range. I have a bit of a history with pointy guitars ... having gigged a couple of BC Rich guitars before ... as well as Gibson Flying Vs
    Considering the "pointyness" of today´s pointy guitars, does a Gibson Flying V still count as "pointy"? You can hardly cause a scratch, let alone poke out a guy´s eye with an old V?
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDL said:
    Minor 3rd, Perfect 4th, Perfect 5th, Major 6th, Octave.  Probably the most used intervals in Western music.  Whether that is the reason for their placement is something I don't know.  If they are purely decorative and placed two frets apart (other than the last step to the octave) to separate the frets visually like having alternatively highlighted rows in a spreadsheet, it would make sense aesthetically to have one on the 1st fret, but in reality it would be silly  because it's not hard to locate that.  This is just echoed at the 13th fret.  Interesting question, but perhaps one without a scientific or musical answer.
    Intervals: I think I could relate to m3, P4, P5, m7 (10th fret instead of 9th) better...BUT...it weakens a bit if, say, you're playing in F.

So far I like the reasoning that it's a simple counting/chunking aid...I think that's what it means to me after 35+ years of looking at it ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    I do know If I get handed a guitar with no markers I succumb to 'bum note paranoia' and even if I know the scale length and what I'm playing well ... and can do it blindfold ... I will foul up. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I changed my Walnut flat Ibanez GRG with black chrome hardware, locking mh, a neon green hotrail humbucker in the neck, neon pink humbucker in the bridge and resprayed it pink. Takes me back to my stoopid years of big hair, lurid clothes and snakeskin lycra. So crack on and enjoy life, as it's only yours to live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    CampbellH said:
    I changed my Walnut flat Ibanez GRG with black chrome hardware, locking mh, a neon green hotrail humbucker in the neck, neon pink humbucker in the bridge and resprayed it pink. Takes me back to my stoopid years of big hair, lurid clothes and snakeskin lycra. So crack on and enjoy life, as it's only yours to live.
    Exactly ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Nicely understated. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."