Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). It's pointy - has a 'nail on combine harvester' trem and I bought it. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

It's pointy - has a 'nail on combine harvester' trem and I bought it.

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
in Guitar tFB Trader
Well as befits one of my advancing seniority and status as a respectable and sober business person ... realising one of my years should be playing his sensible Telecasters ... or his Gibson Les paul ... aware I my yet play gigs where I an judged by the hardware strapped around my neck ....
I give you my latest purchase 

In my defence I tried one of these Jackson necks and was blown away ... and of course it will be getting something special in the pickup department from my 'dream factory' here at Oily Towers ... I may even design something from scratch. :-)

I could have bought a more expensive Jackson ... but I wanted to see how many improvements I could make to an instrument already fitted with a great neck. 

Now I just have to sit back and wait for the couriers to bugger up the V points by playing 'kick the parcel' :-) 
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

2reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Although I listen to many a player of pointy guitars, I've never really wanted to own one, but I applaud your choice nonetheless.  Is that a set-neck, or a bolt-on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Although I listen to many a player of pointy guitars, I've never really wanted to own one, but I applaud your choice nonetheless.  Is that a set-neck, or a bolt-on?
    Bolt on ... basically the same neck as the whole range. I have a bit of a history with pointy guitars ... having gigged a couple of BC Rich guitars before ... as well as Gibson Flying Vs
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I know it's a trademark feature for Jacksons, but I just can't see past that ridiculous spiky headstock. Never could back in the day... never will.

Of course, in my advancing middle age I do want a neon finish Ibanez JEM, but that's got a sensible headstock :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    I know it's a trademark feature for Jacksons, but I just can't see past that ridiculous spiky headstock. Never could back in the day... never will.

Of course, in my advancing middle age I do want a neon finish Ibanez JEM, but that's got a sensible headstock .
    Had you never thought you might need either a can opener or an audience subduing tool when you are abroad making music? I know I have ... 
    I think of it also as an opportunity to viciously poke other musicians when the need arises ... 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    Bolt on ... basically the same neck as the whole range. I have a bit of a history with pointy guitars ... having gigged a couple of BC Rich guitars before ... as well as Gibson Flying Vs
    I don't really count a (Gibson) V as pointy, it's still rounded off at the ends... and it manages to look traditional, futuristic and heavy metal all at the same time.  In some ways the '58 Flying V is my ultimate dream guitar, but I'm not sure it looks right on a little shrimp like me.
    edited October 2023
    ICBM said:

Of course, in my advancing middle age I do want a neon finish Ibanez JEM, but that's got a sensible headstock .
    I know what you mean, there's no logic to the Jackson headstock, but it does look cool with the big logo.  However the Ibanez JEM/RG headstock is also a great shape, has straight-line string pull and also has a very cool logo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't really count a (Gibson) V as pointy, it's still rounded off at the ends... and it manages to look traditional, futuristic and heavy metal all at the same time.  In some ways the '58 Flying V is my ultimate dream guitar, but I'm not sure it looks right on a little shrimp like me.
    I've had 50s and 60s styled Flying Vs ... and always preferred the 50s aesthetic for the more pointed headstock, but the 67 shape for the  sloping 'shoulders'. Never keen on the Randy Rhodes V with the little lower 'wing' ... however the Jackson 'King V' seems to a cool halfway house.   

I always rather liked the Flying V2  ... I think perhaps I was the only one :-) 

• normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    I love the V2, there was one on the wall of the local guitar shop for years that I drooled over.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The V2 reminds me of 1977-era laminated skateboards…

Hideous as a guitar. The headstock is particularly awful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited October 2023
    About 10 years ago I was helping somebody I knew get into electric guitar playing.  He was already an accomplished pianist and could play the basics on an acoustic.  He ignored my advice of more standard shapes and designs and appeared with a Jackson V-shaped guitar he had bought 2nd-hand.  It was a bugger to set up, but once set up it was one of the most stable guitars I have handled.  The neck was beautiful to play on and the pickups were really pokey and with nice separation.  I wished he had bought a guitar of a more standard shape but with the same kind of neck and pickups, and so did he when he soon realised how awkward it was to sit down and practice on it.  He eventually bought a retro-fit hinged apparatus that folded down so it could sit on his knee, but that was after he had smacked a few chunks out of the unwieldly headstock and pointy wings.

With that said though, I think I have changed as I have grown older and I would really like to try out that guitar for a while.  I like that slightly muted green colour that works well on your guitar, but I've never been keen on that colour on other styles of guitars I've seen.  I'm still not sure whether I would be able to live with the headstock though.
  • I love jackson headstocks ,happy new guitar day Immsure you will absolutely love it 
  • Lovely! I'm a huge fan of Jackson neck profiles, I've never played one I didn't like. Love a King V, I had one when I was gigging and it's an excellent backup guitar because you can stand it anywhere :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    I've got a Fernandes DINKY copy in the store room somewhere. 'Substantial' is probably the best description of it, what's the V like in the hand?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Excellent!  =) Vs in general are just great, and King Vs are particularly awesome.
    I always rather liked the Flying V2  ... I think perhaps I was the only one :-) 

No, I like them too, brings back memories of looking in shop windows as a teenager.

I liked "The V" too, although it had some really weird construction details.

1982 Gibson Flying V The V CMT  Sunburst  GuitarPoint
    tFB Trader
    blobb said:
    I've got a Fernandes DINKY copy in the store room somewhere. 'Substantial' is probably the best description of it, what's the V like in the hand?
    Well aside from trying the neck on someone else's JS series ... my V hasn't arrived yet so feel wise we shall have to see. The thing that appealed to me was the neck, I like the idea that all the JS Jacksons have the same neck  ... compound radius fingerboard big frets, bound fingerboard ... all for 'Squier money'. 
    I will be doing a full review when it arrives ... then looking at what upgrades are needed. From other folks reviews I'm not expecting great things of the bridge pickup ... it's been described as 'a bit thin' ... but we shall see. 

edited October 2023
    What brand of pickups do you think you will go for? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    BillDL said:
    What brand of pickups do you think you will go for? 
    Lol ... hummmmm tough choice ...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Actually, joking aside, it would be very interesting to hear what you think of the stock pickups and then (presumably) how you then decide on the best ones for that guitar or build custom wound ones for it.  I think this is one area that your expertise would help others to understand how pickups might be deficient or unsuited to a particular guitar and what available choices govern the decision for the most suitable ones, or ones that will do what you need that particular guitar to do that it didn't do before.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    BillDL said:
    Actually, joking aside, it would be very interesting to hear what you think of the stock pickups and then (presumably) how you then decide on the best ones for that guitar or build custom wound ones for it.  I think this is one area that your expertise would help others to understand how pickups might be deficient or unsuited to a particular guitar and what available choices govern the decision for the most suitable ones, or ones that will do what you need that particular guitar to do that it didn't do before.
    My history with Jackson is that when I owned my music shop, my employee (originally Work Experience lad) Steve was Jackson obsessed ... and for that reason we had more than a couple through our hands. Incidentally Steve now has his own guitar shop ... which makes me smile.
    Anyway back to Jackson ... I had developed a healthy respect for the brand, and a few years ago I bought a Jackson six string Pro series Cristian Olde Wolbers model for cheap that had a bad headstock break. It had a typical stunning Jackson compound radius fingerboard ... and the after I repaired it I played it for some time. The issue for me was the single pickup ... and a fairly weedy one at that. In the end it wasn't versatile enough as an Oil City demo guitar, so I sold it on. 
    The yen for something with a 'speed neck' was still there ... hence the King V.
    It'll be interesting to see how I get on with the Floyd! Yes, normally I'm fairly scathing about them: in the past calling them 'nail on combine harvesters' and 'wiggly tone robbers' but I used to set them up in the shop ... and I've gigged with them before, so we shall see how my irritation threshold holds up!  

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    I’ve always found pointy headstocks are useful “singer adjustment tools”…
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    I’ve always found pointy headstocks are useful “singer adjustment tools”…
    A man after my own heart :-)

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Love the drab green. As a child in the 80s, the Jackson shapes and shark inlays always signified some tasty playing was about to happen. That's a proper 80s "refinement" of a V.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • As someone who’s first ever ‘proper’ gig was Megadeth ( with pantera supporting ) at the Hammersmith Apollo, I very much approve. Always thought the king V was the coolest of all V’s. Pointy headstock included.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    My first proper guitar was a MIJ Fusion so I understand the love for the necks. I've never had another guitar that could handle such a low action and be so stable. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with pickup wise.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    That's cool as hell, Ash! Cool colour, one of the best interpretations of the V shape, and I'm sure you'll have fun playing with pickups.
    Tim
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    Jackson necks are really nice. It’s neither fat nor thin. Just flat and somehow right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    As someone who’s first ever ‘proper’ gig was Megadeth ( with pantera supporting ) at the Hammersmith Apollo, I very much approve. Always thought the king V was the coolest of all V’s. Pointy headstock included.
    Mustaine was the first person I thought of when I saw this model ... and one of the reasons I wanted to try it.
    GoFish said:
    Love the drab green. As a child in the 80s, the Jackson shapes and shark inlays always signified some tasty playing was about to happen. That's a proper 80s "refinement" of a V.
    The 'drab green' attracted me ... looked at red-  too flash ... white - too clean ... black - black guitars show fingerprints and muck like no other ... 
    and to me a Jackson just has to have Shark-fin inlays. 

• Looks like a lot of fin fun!

<too_much_coffee_moment>
    Why is there a shark fin at the 1st fret? Is it better with...or without? Why isn't there one at the 13th?

Why are fret markers typically at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, etc? Does anyone know?

@viz This is the kind of thing you can explain!
    edited October 2023
    Minor 3rd, Perfect 4th, Perfect 5th, Major 6th, Octave.  Probably the most used intervals in Western music.  Whether that is the reason for their placement is something I don't know.  If they are purely decorative and placed two frets apart (other than the last step to the octave) to separate the frets visually like having alternatively highlighted rows in a spreadsheet, it would make sense aesthetically to have one on the 1st fret, but in reality it would be silly  because it's not hard to locate that.  This is just echoed at the 13th fret.  Interesting question, but perhaps one without a scientific or musical answer.