Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Quite an insightful quote from Jools Holland in Guardian interview about Later... - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Quite an insightful quote from Jools Holland in Guardian interview about Later...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Jalapeno said:
    New series Saturday night 10:30 BBC2
    Judging by this thread, there'll be no-one watching!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jalapeno said:
    All watching MotD instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Wreckless Eric is on episode 1 - didn't know he was still alive!  And Johnny Marr is on episode 2.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    ...And Johnny Marr is on episode 2.
    Wow...JFM is putting himself about! If one is going to launch a book, one might as well do it properly ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Jalapeno said:
    I'll be recording and skipping the Paul Weller sections ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Vintage65 said:
    I think comparing a regular series broadcast weekly when it's on, with what, 5 or 6 artists per episode, to certain specific "classic" archives footage is missing the point a bit - like how people forget the absolute dross music of the 60s and 70s because of the classics they like. There was dross on the show back then just as there is now, but in my opinion always worth watching for that special something every now and then that you wouldn't hear anywhere else
    Later used to be the place where acts promoted their critically acclaimed albums. There is still excellent new music being made, but the current iteration of Later is not the best place to find it.

Skindred are on the next series. They are excellent.
  • Jalapeno said:
    REALLY!? Blimey. 
  • Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:

That's entertainment!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

What a bunch of grumpy old sods you lot are!

It is the only real music show where real acts perform live with no other crap going on. There isn't another one, is there?

It's a great live music format. Jools is an expert himself, a good respectful host and he lets the bands do the talking.

If you don't like the music well ok that's just your taste and opinion. There is variety and there's always something surprising.

Yes, he' always having his mates on again and again, and yes the boogie piano is repetitive, and yes he is always guesting himself. These are indulgences I just skip through if I want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:

And I'll be relaxing in the knowledge that it's on iPlayer, for me to watch whenever I want.  Or ignore forever.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:

And I'll be relaxing in the knowledge that it's on iPlayer, for me to watch whenever I want.  Or ignore forever.
    Surely, except for sport, nobody watches real time live tv anymore, do they? I mean, I haven't seen a TV advert in decades. I just FF through all the shit I don't want.
    edited October 2023
    rze99 said:
    Surely, except for sport, nobody watches real time live tv anymore, do they? I mean, I haven't seen a TV advert in decades. I just FF through all the shit I don't want.
    If you watch on ITVX or 4OD (or whatever it's called now), you have to watch the adverts even if you're watching on catchup, it's impossible to FF them.  I think you can pay a subscription to have no adverts, but I'm not doing that.

It's the same with some of the "free with ads" content on Amazon and other streaming services, you can FF the film but not the ads.  I watched a film on some random streaming service a while ago and there were ads every 10 minutes, like clockwork, even in the middle of scenes.

I guess most people have the facility to actually record programmes then FF as much as they want, but I don't have a Sky box or any kind of hard disk recorder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Philly_Q said:
    rze99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:

If you watch on ITVX or 4OD (or whatever it's called now), you have to watch the adverts even if you're watching on catchup, it's impossible to FF them.  I think you can pay a subscription to have no adverts, but I'm not doing that.

It's the same with some of the "free with ads" content on Amazon and other streaming services, you can FF the film but not the ads.  I watched a film on some random streaming service a while ago and there were ads every 10 minutes, like clockwork, even in the middle of scenes.

I guess most people have the facility to actually record programmes then FF as much as they want, but I don't have a Sky box or any kind of hard disk recorder.
    I don’t record anything so yes if you catch up services you are more tied into ads than live TV. If you try to FF they just bounce back to the beginning of the ads. And as we are talking about the BBC no ads anyway (and you can FF through trailers on iPlayer). 
    Something like Later I’d rather watch live in the sense that I then watch the acts that I would FF through on the iPlayer. Pleasant surprises or a knowledge base for how terrible music is nowadays. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It feels like everything is going over to a subscription model. Even Amazon will soon be charging extra for ad-free viewing. It's getting ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    rze99 said:
    I have the BBC News channel on in the background while I work Mon-Fri.  On Monday we watch MM, OC and UC on BBC.

Aside from live sport, that's it.
  • I’ve never been one for watching Jules new year and weekly programs ,I find they don’t cater to the sort of music I like to listen to .  
    It feels like everything is going over to a subscription model. Even Amazon will soon be charging extra for ad-free viewing. It's getting ridiculous.
    Yeah, if they all start charging extra for ad-free I will have to think about what services to keep.  There's very little I watch on Disney+ or Paramount+, for example.  And I'm currently thinking about getting YouTube premium because they've recently become arsey about adblockers.

(Sorry, we've veered very much off topic)
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    GoFish said:
    I'd like to pull pn the other thread of OP's post. @CaseOfAce noted that, per Jules, the 'big' performers all played with some force or volume. I don't doubt this is true, but how much of it was learned behaviour? By the time you get to headlining a TV extravaganza, you are confident and practised enough to really belt out your stuff - or did eg: Paul Simon always sound surprisingly loud and characterful on the guitar, even when picking?
    You can have a Wisdom for that GoFish... ;-)
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Hootenanny seems awful, even acts I like seem to turn their songs into pub knees up versions. Maybe if I was watching it as broadcast and slightly drunk I'd like it more.
    [I know it's filmed in advance. My son is in the audience of the Joe Lycett Christmas special which they filmed in June. Be interesting to see if they insert any topical references in that]
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Well, talking about how TV is no good anymore is fascinating, true and timely  :)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong