Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Shakespeare live BBC4 Now! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Shakespeare live BBC4 Now!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Sassafras said:
    Always makes me laugh on Desert Island Discs when they cast you away with the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare.
    Are they hoping you'll die of boredom on the island?
    Fire lighting
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Ah, the reason I was moved from GCE English class to CSE. Still got a grade 1 though so up yours Billy lad.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Sassafras said:
    Always makes me laugh on Desert Island Discs when they cast you away with the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare.
    Are they hoping you'll die of boredom on the island?
    As @Philly_Q has mentioned below, if you actually acted it out with nobody watching, you would be getting good muscle exercise with all the arm waving, pacing, shouting and pointing, in between foraging for small shellfish and bits of seaweed.  It beats talking to a volleyball with a bloody hand print on it.
    Philly_Q said:

I couldn't sit and just read Shakespeare, although I quite enjoyed it even in school when we used to half-act it by reading it out loud.  And it had the explanatory notes on the left-hand page.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Sassafras said:
    <snip>
    I’ve always presumed that was a hangover from the first and original Roy Plumley programs, when DID was trying to be highbrow, full of luvvy ac-tors and “worthy” people as the guests. 
  • I believe the idea was that once you remove two of the greatest works of English Literature (the King James Bible and the works of The Bard) it meant guests might choose more interesting varied choices. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter