Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Shakespeare live BBC4 Now! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Shakespeare live BBC4 Now!

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
edited October 2023 in Off Topic
Beguiling, so many questions and thoughts going through my head watching it. In school it was dry and disinteresting this put a whole new swing on it/him
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    TBH I thought he'd died years ago.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ok it was seven years ago! Watching the repeat but comments still stand.
    This is stand out
    https://youtu.be/kEs8rK5Cqt8?si=3UphQ8IvZMlghdpd
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If you like that, you should watch Playing Shakespeare. It’s all on YouTube. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Disinteresting
    Uninteresting

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited October 2023
    Disinteresting
    Uninteresting

I wasn’t uninterested in Shakespeare at school, I was disinterested by the way they taught it
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Always makes me laugh on Desert Island Discs when they cast you away with the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare.
    Are they hoping you'll die of boredom on the island?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sassafras said:
    Always makes me laugh on Desert Island Discs when they cast you away with the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare.
    Are they hoping you'll die of boredom on the island?
    Starvation or thirst would probably kill you first. ;)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Not something I was ever hugely interested in but Bill Bryson's book explains a lot and seeing a performance in Stratford is an amazing event. 
    Knowing a little bit about Shakespeare is interesting in terms of realising that a lot of what people say about him/his work is guesswork and assumptions. Although from that clip that's roughly the gist of that programme on BBC4 as well? 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited October 2023

Knowing a little bit about Shakespeare is interesting in terms of realising that a lot of what people say about him/his work is guesswork and assumptions. Although from that clip that's roughly the gist of that programme on BBC4 as well? 

The programme is really Shakespeare’s greatest hits, with some interesting twists and interpretations. Dub sonnets, Ballet,Alson Moyet singing verses , Etc and Tennant and Tate doing the links
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Beguiling, so many questions and thoughts going through my head watching it. In school it was dry and disinteresting this put a whole new swing on it/him
    Thanks - wasn't aware of this.  I love Shakespeare (and did at school).  I'll check it out on catchup.
    Ahh, sounds interesting. Although, to me, Shakespeare is like jazz or folk music - when I’m in the room giving it my full attention I find it interesting but at home I’d probably listen to Madness or The Tygers of Pan Tang or something instead. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Disinteresting
    Uninteresting

I wasn’t uninterested in Shakespeare at school, I was disinterested by the way they taught it
    Yeah that still doesn't mean what you think it does. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've seen a few Shakespeare plays live - well, you know, not the original lineups, I guess they're sort of tribute acts...  

One at Stratford (on the day of the 1979 general election), one at the Globe, a couple outside in Regent's Park.

All very entertaining (apart from a Romeo who insisted on pronouncing "banished" as "banish-ed").  Good actors have a way of conveying the humour to modern audiences even if you don't understand the lines.

I couldn't sit and just read Shakespeare, although I quite enjoyed it even in school when we used to half-act it by reading it out loud.  And it had the explanatory notes on the left-hand page.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    I've seen a few Shakespeare plays live - well, you know, not the original lineups, I guess they're sort of tribute acts...  

One at Stratford (on the day of the 1979 general election), one at the Globe, a couple outside in Regent's Park.

All very entertaining (apart from a Romeo who insisted on pronouncing "banished" as "banish-ed").  Good actors have a way of conveying the humour to modern audiences even if you don't understand the lines.

I couldn't sit and just read Shakespeare, although I quite enjoyed it even in school when we used to half-act it by reading it out loud.  And it had the explanatory notes on the left-hand page.
    Banishèd would be correct if if fulfils the criteria for the iambic pentameter (ten syllables) to be complete.  
    Banishèd would be correct if if fulfils the criteria for the iambic pentameter (ten syllables) to be complete.  
    I'm sure it was correct, but it sounded bloody stupid the way he emphasised it.  He wasn't a good actor.
  • Philly_Q said:
    I'm sure it was correct, but it sounded bloody stupid the way he emphasised it.  He wasn't a good actor.
    Aha. 
    I thought that good acting would be a given at the RSC in Stratford and it would lift it off the page for me, but having sat through half an hour of Donald Sinden in boot polish as Othello I've never set foot in there since.   
    God only knows how the rest of the audience stuck it until the end.
    edited October 2023
    The play I saw at Stratford was The Merry Wives of Windsor, not one I'm very familiar with and I don't know if there was anyone famous in the cast - probably not, because I have a good memory for names and faces and if the actors were well-known then, I'd remember now.  I do remember there was a clever, minimal stage set with lots of moveable wooden partitions.  And it was really funny.
    p90fool said:
    I thought that good acting would be a given at the RSC in Stratford and it would lift it off the page for me, but having sat through half an hour of Donald Sinden in boot polish as Othello I've never set foot in there since. 
    Donald Sinden was the living embodiment of a certain type of "Ac-Tor", but I'm not convinced he was ever very good at it.  Loved Never the Twain, though.  "Smallbridge!!"
  • p90fool said:
    Yeah, that doesn't sound good. I saw a production there this year and had to leave at the interval - sometimes it can be an interminable interpretation. 
    I’ve seen several of the plays in Stratford, all amazingly staged and acted. Whenever I would discuss this with my mother she would relate the story of taking my paternal grandmother there who after half an hour made excuses to go to the toilet and never came back in. 
    It seems unlikely but I feel I need to ask: @p90fool are you my Nan? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yes! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    p90fool said:
    Did it also star Windsor Davies as Iago? :-)

• The wine she drinks is made of grapes: if she had been blessed, she would never have loved the Moor. Lovely Boy! 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    I’ve seen a few productions. The best was Derek Jacobi as Hamlet at the Old Vic. It was also the funniest, for all the wrong reasons. If you know the play you’ll know the stage is full of dead bodies at the end. Jacobi had just dropped to the floor and there was a hushed silence……then an ambulance went by outside. Neee Naw Neee Naw.
    You could see DJ absolutely quivering with laughter. 
  • boogieman said:
    I’ve seen a few productions. The best was Derek Jacobi as Hamlet at the Old Vic. It was also the funniest, for all the wrong reasons. If you know the play you’ll know the stage is full of dead bodies at the end. Jacobi had just dropped to the floor and there was a hushed silence……then an ambulance went by outside. Neee Naw Neee Naw.
    You could see DJ absolutely quivering with laughter. 
    He played that role hundreds of times. One of the best Hamlets no doubt. 
  • I saw Henry IV Part 1 in Stratford in the 90s and it was magnificent. The humour and drama both came across beautifully. And the setting was perfect. 

Had a couple of notable cast members too - Julian Glover played the kind, and Owen Teale played Hotspur. 

• I saw Henry IV Part 1 in Stratford in the 90s and it was magnificent. The humour and drama both came across beautifully. And the setting was perfect. 

Had a couple of notable cast members too - Julian Glover played the kind, and Owen Teale played Hotspur. 
    Owen is amazing. 
    I saw Henry IV Part 1 in Stratford in the 90s and it was magnificent. The humour and drama both came across beautifully. And the setting was perfect. 

Owen is amazing. 
    I'm afraid I struggle to take Owen Teale seriously because I'll always remember him best for this...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    I saw Henry IV Part 1 in Stratford in the 90s and it was magnificent. The humour and drama both came across beautifully. And the setting was perfect. 

Owen is amazing. 
    I'm afraid I struggle to take Owen Teale seriously because I'll always remember him best for this...

Amazing. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    I've seen a few Shakespeare plays live and I just don't get it, I couldn't understand why people in the audience were breaking out into hysterics. It wasn't funny. All a bit smug, or I'm just a thick bastard. Could be either one or both I guess.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"