Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Those Cheapo Wireless Systems on That Amazon... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Those Cheapo Wireless Systems on That Amazon...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
Hi All,

Doesn't need to survive the gigging life, just get a cable out of my living room...

Anyone tried the cheapo wireless systems off Amazon?  I don't want to pay the full £145 for a Boss one, could a cheaper option like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOYO-Wireless-Rechargeable-Transmitter-Instruments/dp/B08R8FSFRB/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3ATFNZ7769L26&keywords=wireless+guitar+transmitter+and+receiver&qid=1696766291&sprefix=wireless+guita,aps,75&sr=8-5

Do the job?
We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited October 2023
    I have a pair of slightly pricier Lekato ones and they are indeed perfect, no latency and great range. Not sure if the Joyo ones are as good but I'll hazard a guess they're all much of a muchness now.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 135
    Yes, get one with a decent battery life. They don't work if you put the transmitter in the amp and receiver in the guitar, it can take a long time to figure out what is wrong.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited October 2023
    It looks like the Joyo one you linked to:
    is exactly the same as the Lekato branded one:
    Joyo and Lekato both have separate Amazon stores, but all the images used are the same and the price is the same.
    I don't have personal experience of them, but I've seen reviews of transmitter/receiver packages from both brands for around the same price.  The verdict in all of the reviews was that they worked very well and with very low latency, but would probably not be rugged enough for gigging life.  I've actually been considering buying one for less than £50 to check it out, but I think I'll wait and see what you think of the Joyo one after you buy one 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Fleabay is often slightly cheaper than Amazon for electronic items from China. Buyer Beware etc, but Amazon are no great shakes either.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    edited October 2023
    I use the Lekato 5.8hz model. Been faultless for the last year. 

https://amzn.eu/d/7Rsd3DK

Going to get another one to connect my pedalboard to my amp wirelessly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    You can buy from the Joyo shop, but the same JW-03 set is £56.40 there compared with the -18% (£38 down to £32) on Amazon:

** CORRECTION **  The Joyo shop just links you to Amazon, so £56.40 is the RRP.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    BillDL said:
    I've actually been considering buying one for less than £50 to check it out, but I think I'll wait and see what you think of the Joyo one after you buy one 
    Well it's on the way... so I'll post a review once I've had a try! :lol:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I bought the Lekato ones on the recommendation of a thread here and they’ve been fine for home use. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Aye Lekato 5.8GHz here, had them a couple of years now and they've been fantastic. I've used them at a few jams too with no problems.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    edited October 2023
    Another with a Lekato. I was really surprised by how much I like it. Practising for me can mean controlling stuff on my computer, sometimes standing up sometimes sitting down, sometimes using a music stand etc so there's a fair bit of movement around the room involved - it's just so much easier when you're not attached to your amp by a short lead.

I bought it intending it purely for home use, but found I liked it enough that I've now used it on gigs and rehearsals with no issues.

Just one thing I don't like - there's no way of telling how much juice is left in the battery, and it's easy to lose track of how long you've been using it.  That means a lot of precautionary charging and I've run out of juice a couple of times.  Some sort of battery life indicator would be very useful.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I'm thinking of replacing my xvive with a 5.8ghz. I sometimes get sound dimming at home and I think it's interfering on my 2.4 WiFi units.

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023
    tony99 said:
    I have a pair of slightly pricier Lekato ones and they are indeed perfect, no latency and great range. Not sure if the Joyo ones are as good but I'll hazard a guess they're all much of a muchness now.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.
    John Robson has been using a set of the Lekato’s on his YouTube channel for a couple of years now with no problems and excellent results.
    He uses one of there small looper pedals also.
    I bought a set of Harley Benton Airborne Instrument 25bit/48KHz with USB charger for around £60 during the first covid lockdown after watching Henning Pauly’s in-depth walking around his house YouTube video review of them.
    They are still working great years later.
    Great for walking around outside to see what volumes annoy the neighbours and pub down the road 
    Ive got more expensive versions to work with pedal boards and racks but the HBs are great for simple home or bedroom use.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I use mine quite a lot through a wah pedal too; so the wah is close to the amp and connected by a short lead, wireless receiver into the wah, and transmitter in the guitar. It's faultless.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    edited October 2023
    I’ve had mine for well over a year, maybe close on two. No noticeable battery degradation, and never had any noise, crackles, or interference. 
    Impressed with it.  No compression or loss of feel
    or pick attack.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    edited October 2023
    I started using these units about six years ago. Started with Xvive and they were ok but there was some interference with a band mate’s wireless and, if I used them with my Blade, I couldn’t switch the preamp on because it whistled!

The battery died in the Xvive transmitter after three years so I replaced them with the Lekato 5.8 ghz version. No problems with interference or with the Blade. Transmitter hinge went loose after a while so use that set at home and bought a new set for gigs. Trouble free so far with either set and about 150 gigs in.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I've had the Lekarto 5.8 for a while and done dozens of gigs with it. I only got it for checking FOH mixes as it was super cheap but just started leaving it in for the whole gig and it's never missed a beat or dropped out, unlike either of my Line 6 systems. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    I might add one of these to the christmas list. Our gigs, such as they were, gave us such little room usually that a cable was the least of your problems. At home I'm forever running the bloody thing over with my chair or getting it tangled round my leg somehow.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    I've had the Leakato ones for about a year and they've been great. Originally bought for home use but have used at a couple of Jams with no issues.Battery life is excellent.
  • For playing in the house I just use a Nu X Mighty Amp Pro. Headphone amp with enough config in there to keep me happy. Plus side, I can wander around the house (This took me a bit of getting used to) and as loud/quiet as a I want it.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    randella said:
    I might add one of these to the christmas list. Our gigs, such as they were, gave us such little room usually that a cable was the least of your problems. At home I'm forever running the bloody thing over with my chair or getting it tangled round my leg somehow.
    I originally started using wireless for tiny, cramped gigs so I wasn't always standing on a tangled mess.
    In some ways it's even more liberating than using them on a big stage. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I have the Ammoon cheapie s  (about £30) and they work fine into my THR10 II. I even run them into my pedal board and then my Waza Air jack at the other end for full wireless wandering round the house.
    Barbie uses them too for gigging with her violin.
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 162
    edited October 2023
    Just one thing I don't like - there's no way of telling how much juice is left in the battery, and it's easy to lose track of how long you've been using it.  That means a lot of precautionary charging and I've run out of juice a couple of times.  Some sort of battery life indicator would be very useful.
    Lekato here too. It starts flashing when it’s low but if you’re gigging then I wouldn’t want to see that winking at you as there isn’t a lot of time left.  The other issue is with the location, you often don’t see it blinking, suddenly the signal dies & your looking at everything but your guitar jack. 

I’ll try playing & charging & see what happens. Alternatively you could give the audience a 10 minute drum solo while the receiver charges. Moby Dick anyone?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    ..if you’re gigging then I wouldn’t want to see that winking at you as there isn’t a lot of time left.  
    Not what I'd want to see winking at me at a gig for sure.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ..if you’re gigging then I wouldn’t want to see that winking at you as there isn’t a lot of time left.  
    Not what I'd want to see winking at me at a gig for sure.
    Especially if you’re playing brown eyed girl 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just one thing I don't like - there's no way of telling how much juice is left in the battery, and it's easy to lose track of how long you've been using it.  That means a lot of precautionary charging and I've run out of juice a couple of times.  Some sort of battery life indicator would be very useful.
    Lekato here too. It starts flashing when it’s low but if you’re gigging then I wouldn’t want to see that winking at you as there isn’t a lot of time left.  The other issue is with the location, you often don’t see it blinking until the signal dies

I’ll try playing & charging & see what happens. Alternatively you could give the audience a 10 minute drum solo while the receiver charges. Moby Dick anyone?

I'm less worried about gigs - I'd always do a full charge before a gig and I'm confident it will last although obviously I keep a lead at hand just in case.

It's more if I charge it up and a day or two later I'm not sure many hours it's been on.  As you say by the time the light starts flashing it's more or less too late. I end up charging it almost every day just to be on the safe side, which is a bit of extra faff and easy to forget.

Also mine's the 2.4. I get some intermittent issues with my bluetooth keyboard that I think MIGHT be caused by the Lekato, but I'm reluctant to shell out for the 5.8 only to find that it doesn't cure the problem. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I have had 3 sets of Lekato 5.8hz model. 

First one died after 2 months. Second set did 2 years. Currently 3 months into the third set. 

I have had 3 sets of Lekato 5.8hz model. 

First one died after 2 months. Second set did 2 years. Currently 3 months into the third set. 

Heavy gig usage? Just at home?
  • Do the Lekatos work with active pickups? I have the Boss one that’s designed for actives (so no tone shaping), but before that I tried the Ibanez one which is supposed to be fine with any pickups, and it was giving me weird interference noise with my active guitars (which is 2 out of my 3, so not really workable).
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread @darthed1981 but this seems like an opportune time for me to display my profound void of knowledge in this area by asking a couple of questions about these devices.

I assume that after each transmitter and receiver set are "paired", that even if somebody else was using the exact same set in the proximity, the wireless signals are kept completely separate and cannot overlap?

I have no idea of the pros and cons of 2.4GHz vs 5.8GHz, which seem to be the common frequencies used by this kind of transmitter.  Is the 5.8GHz more immune to outside interference from other airborne transmissions like mobile phones, taxi radios (if they still use them), computer Wi-Fi connections, broadband modems, and general electro-magnetic interference from strip lighting, dimmers, and appliances?

I know that when I'm playing one of my portable amps either on batteries or with the 3-pin wall plug to two conductor AC-DC power adapters I sometimes hear interruptions like staccato blips coming through the amp.  I have always assumed this to be my 2G mobile periodically checking network connectivity while sitting on the table close to the amp.
  • My Lekatos packed up after half a dozen uses. Yes, I checked they were fully charged…