Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Kevin Keegan - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Kevin Keegan

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Kevin Keegan what a dickhead, used to be my footballing hero,  now gone down in my estimation, can't believe anyone can have that attitude towards women in this day and age. Come on Kevin what bloody century have you come from? Do you want to take the vote away from women as well?

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• There will be many that agree with him.. but the argument that a female professional footballer can't have an opinion or have shared in-game experiences as the males is ludicrous and out-dated.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What an absolute tit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    What's he done?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Is this what you're losing your shit over?  https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/05/kevin-keegan-asked-to-keep-his-opinions-to-himself-on-female-football-pundits

Hardly the most controversial opinion in the world even if he is wrong.

Incidentally watching Micheal Owen getting schooled on a goal keeping error by Rachel Brown-Finnis last night was brilliant.

• I saw a headline and thought "what a dick". Now I've read an article:
    https://news.sky.com/story/kevin-keegan-says-he-doesnt-like-lady-footballers-talking-about-england-mens-team-12977463

He says this:
    "But if I see an England lady footballer saying about England against Scotland at Wembley and she's saying, 'If I would have been in that position I would have done this,' I don't think it's quite the same. I don't think it crosses over that much."

I think that's a more reasonable statement. He's saying that a female England player can't really have a grasp on what it's like to be in the position of a male England player in a big match. I think he does harbour a misogynistic attitude though, because he says he doesn't want to hear those opinions. That's not good in my book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Taken in context it doesn't seem that bad, just a bit of lack of awareness of how it would be seen. The issue seems to be more that people are using it as an excuse to 'bash' the women's game or Keegan himself. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    There will be many that agree with him.. but the argument that a female professional footballer can't have an opinion or have shared in-game experiences as the males is ludicrous and out-dated.
    I've been watching a few games on the old BT Sport channel recently.

The presentation team is - typically - led by a female pitch-side with a couple of retired (male) footballers to give the opinions, etc, with a similar set-up in the studio.

My observation is that the female presenters are, without exception, of "above average attractiveness". 

Now, they can read the script (out loud), know where the camera is, and can hold a microphone, so they're not in front of the camera *purely* on the basis of their looks.  But given that - I'm assuming - the watching audience is predominantly male, I wonder when we'll see some female presenters that fall below that average level.
    ;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Female commentators and pundits are fine when they are good.  Isa Guha on the cricket is very good, for instance.  Some of the others seem to be there because they are women though, and there seems to be a quota to fill.

None of the cricket ones are as bad as Michael Vaughan though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 1977
    crunchman said:
    Female commentators and pundits are fine when they are good.  Isa Guha on the cricket is very good, for instance.  Some of the others seem to be there because they are women though, and there seems to be a quota to fill.

None of the cricket ones are as bad as Michael Vaughan though.
    Wis'd on Vaughny. Beautiful cricketer but an embarrassment to punditry. Seems to think that the world needs another Boycott. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    I saw a headline and thought "what a dick". Now I've read an article:
    https://news.sky.com/story/kevin-keegan-says-he-doesnt-like-lady-footballers-talking-about-england-mens-team-12977463

He says this:
    "But if I see an England lady footballer saying about England against Scotland at Wembley and she's saying, 'If I would have been in that position I would have done this,' I don't think it's quite the same. I don't think it crosses over that much."

I think that's a more reasonable statement. He's saying that a female England player can't really have a grasp on what it's like to be in the position of a male England player in a big match. I think he does harbour a misogynistic attitude though, because he says he doesn't want to hear those opinions. That's not good in my book.
    Is it the case perhaps that he's making the point that the pace and physicality of the men's game is different to that of the women's game, and because of that the tactical positioning and judgement calls are somewhat different ?
  • TTony said:
    There will be many that agree with him.. but the argument that a female professional footballer can't have an opinion or have shared in-game experiences as the males is ludicrous and out-dated.
    I've been watching a few games on the old BT Sport channel recently.

The presentation team is - typically - led by a female pitch-side with a couple of retired (male) footballers to give the opinions, etc, with a similar set-up in the studio.

My observation is that the female presenters are, without exception, of "above average attractiveness". 

Now, they can read the script (out loud), know where the camera is, and can hold a microphone, so they're not in front of the camera *purely* on the basis of their looks.  But given that - I'm assuming - the watching audience is predominantly male, I wonder when we'll see some female presenters that fall below that average level.
    ;)

noted with regards presenters..   I was referring to pundits and I think Kev was too...
    AK99 said:
    I saw a headline and thought "what a dick". Now I've read an article:

He says this:

Is it the case perhaps that he's making the point that the pace and physicality of the men's game is different to that of the women's game, and because of that the tactical positioning and judgement calls are somewhat different ?

That's how I interpret his views..   but it's a dangerous stance these days
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    The Laurence Fox perspective.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • But when somebody says "If that were me, I'd have..." surely that's not to be taken literally? They just mean "The ideal thing in my opinion would have been if...". Like, I might say, oh if it were me in charge of HS2 or Wilko or whatever I'd have done this or that or whatever but it's obviously hypothetical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I've seen a few women boxing commentators who analyse the fights intelligently without all the cliche ridden drivel of the male commentators.
    As far I know, none of these women have been in the ring with Golovkin or Canelo yet they still seem to know what's going on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I have to admit that every time I see Kev's name I just think of his awkward "I would love it" interview when Sir Alex got him all riled up!

I have no problem with women talking about football, to be honest I like it. Also I don't care in the least if they are attractive or not, I just like interesting opinions or worthwhile analysis. 

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Although I think his logic is along the lines of men's and women's football being categorically unequal, hence his remarks, I don't think it's difficult for a man or a woman who has experience in the game to offer a qualified opinion on players knocking a ball about a pitch. Not wanting to hear it based on their gender is another thing entirely.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited October 2023
    Kev's got a point.

Women players don't really understand when it's advantageous to fall over in apparent agony looking for a free kick or penalty.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    I’m not averse in the slightest to the female commentators and pundits and they have huge knowledge of the games they are working on. I have a bit of an issue with the overuse of superlatives. “AMAZING” and “UNBELIEVABLE” seem to be troped out with an over the top regularity, particularly in the football and rugby worlds.. The cricket ones are generally excellent, as are the golf ones. I wonder if it’s an effort to be the female equivalents of the likes of Motson and Davies. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Deport him!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    To be fair he probably knows a bit more about perms than most modern women...
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588

He says this:

I think that's a more reasonable statement. He's saying that a female England player can't really have a grasp on what it's like to be in the position of a male England player in a big match. 
    The Lionesses just played in a final in front of 75,000 people with another fourteen million watching at home, are you seriously suggesting that's not a big match? 

I suspect to some men it'll always be just some girls having a kickabout, just like plucky little Serena having a bit of a go at tennis, bless her.

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    p90fool said:
    The Lionesses just played in a final in front of 75,000 people with another fourteen million watching at home, are you seriously suggesting that's not a big match? 

I suspect to some men it'll always be just some girls having a kickabout, just like plucky little Serena having a bit of a go at tennis, bless her.

I think ladies' football just suffers from the fact that it has comparatively little history as an elite sport. 

Even the most backwards blokes don't tend to argue there shouldn't be women on the broadcast/commentary for men's tennis or athletics or any number of other sports. (Provided they're good, obviously; really enjoyable female pundits and commentators are as rare as really enjoyable male ones!)

I assume ladies' football will get there in time, too – and probably quite quickly if the current momentum is maintained.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited October 2023

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited October 2023
    I was expecting to spit feathers over this, especially since I've always thought Keegan was a bit of a twat.

However... it's merely clumsy and a bit dumb and hardly worth the opprobrium and shrieks of outrage it seems to be attracting.  In truth it's no worse than I'd expect from him.  His crimes against tonsorial styling are far more serious.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Offset said:

However... it's merely clumsy and a bit dumb and hardly worth the opprobrium and shrieks of outrage and it seems to be attracting.  
    But people are offended!  It is outrageous.

Someone of a bygone era has expressed a view, an opinion, that is not consistent with current day accepted/expected (by some) views or opinions.  It is simply not acceptable.  

He must submit himself for re-programming or be silenced.

It's all getting a bit 1984 ... be careful what you say, be careful what you think, be careful what others might think you're going to say ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He must have known that his comments would provoke outrage in some quarters so hats off to him for being honest - it’s easier nowadays to follow the herd rather than risk being cancelled. I don’t agree with him but I’m glad he said it for the sake of balance 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023
    I don’t like Kevin Keegan.
    Years ago he was bashed up in a lay-by in his car and the Sun had the real story why on the press ready to print until it got pulled.
    They did actually print off a few but most of those were destroyed.
    Im surprised that story has never come out in this day of every one telling historical stuff.
  • p90fool said:

He says this:

I think that's a more reasonable statement. He's saying that a female England player can't really have a grasp on what it's like to be in the position of a male England player in a big match. 

It's difficult to get my view across, but I'm not one of those guys you're referring to in the last sentence.
    The women's World Cup final was indeed a big game, but it's different to England vs Scotland in the men's game - not because they're men, but because of the history and the rivalry level of interest in terms of advertising, sponsorship, business, TV coverage etc. it just isn't on the same magnitude. That's not to say "women aren't as good or as relevant as men" it's to say "it's very difficult for anyone to have a qualified valuable opinion if they haven't been on that stage themselves".
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 839
    edited October 2023
    This thread highlights how people look at a sound bite and take it as the truth. A media outlet has to do nothing more than throw a sentence out there and the public just hang onto it without questioning it.

No wonder we are in the state we are in as a country when people believe what they read, and even worse don’t actually read the article.