Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). School me on Telecasters.... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

School me on Telecasters....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

There is an Alt T in the classifieds which is a very versatile guitar but you would struggle to get Roy Buchanan's tone.
    You say that like it’s a bad thing…

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Its a simple recipe.  Perfect Tele = light ash body + fat neck + spicy bridge pickup   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Love my Nash Thinline Telecaster….

https://i.imgur.com/PzIpfrr.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 238
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    My favourite tele is a levinson blade delta t2. It has a slightly thinner neck and they are extremely well made.  I do have a couple fenders and they’re decent but I use the blade a lot for certain bands and it’s brilliant..

The idea that it needs to have fender on the logo is a load of rubbish in my book. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited October 2023
    Might be worth contacting @jamesoliver1234 ;;

James recently acquired another vintage piece. Judging by his YouTube videos, it shits all over some of his lower-priced Telecasters - to the extent that he might cease playing some of those.

If James is not selling just at the moment, I might be persuaded to part with my 2012 AVRI '52. The (hateful) original pickups are long gone. You would have to slum it with an Oil City Honkytonk Angel pair.

I also have one of the 2011 Tele-bration Redwood models. It would take rather more money for me to part with this one. Completely original EXCEPT that I replaced the No-Load™ tone pot with a regular CTS 250.

At the cheaper end, I can offer a mk2 Chapman ML-3 Traditional. This has some more modern features to improve playability BUT at the expense of losing some of the proper character of an old Fender. IMO, this guitar goes better with high output pickups for shred stylings.
    Be seeing you.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    I used to have a Jackson 'Tele' ... twin humbuckers, lovely instrument ... not really a Tele in anything other than body shape, but lovely just the same. There was something a little 'naughty and dangerous' about the somewhat staid body with the exotic pointy (and reversed in my guitar's case) headstock ... like discovering your respectable 'schoolmarm' wears exotic underwear :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Must’ve been a wild day when you discovered that
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    How exotic are we talking? On a scale from Cotton - Lacy - Suspenders - Crotchless - Nappy?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • DaiBDaiB Frets: 7
    If you can find a decent one, don’t think you can go wrong with a Baja tele.  My guitar teacher has an American Standard and there’s virtually nothing between them. One of my best purchases 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Just try some. I ended up with a AVRI 52 and it makes my "pretending to be Keith Richards" efforts feel a lot more authentic.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited October 2023
    You've set yourself a Gordian knot to unpick!

It sounds like you want something that's merely Tele-shaped rather than something that has a traditional Tele sound.

If it's the former, your options are more or less unlimited.

If it's the latter, your options are more or less unlimited.

I have a US Fender Tele (refinished and modified) which is one of my favourite guitars.  To my hands it just feels indefinably 'right' in every way, and the trad Tele pup setup is super versatile.

I also have takes on the Tele from assorted makers.  One sounds like a Tele but doesn't look like one; the other two look like a Tele but sound nothing like one.

It's a Tele-shaped jungle out there.  The only escape route is to try as many as you can back to back :-)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    GoFish said:
    How exotic are we talking? On a scale from Cotton - Lacy - Suspenders - Crotchless - Nappy?
    Liquorice ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• I've only ever owned 1 Tele, a 2008 US Highway. We have a love/hate relationship. Pickups have been changed 3 times and a few other upgrades. I don't get to play it much but can't help feel it doesn't sound like a 'proper' Tele. Everyone else's Tele's always sound nicer! It's also the only maple fretboard guitar I own and its nice to play. Sadly my Strat has overtaken it in terms of affection so it mostly stays in the rack as a spare or to pull out for any funk tunes (which doesn't happen very often).
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    I was convinced I needed a tele, most of my heroes as a teenager played teles but for some reason I ended up with an Epi Les Paul back then. Fast forward a number of years with the idea of  teles being the coolest guitar always in the back of my mind and coming back to playing again, I was determined to get my telecaster at long last. I’ve got two of them now in fact, dream accomplished. 

Hardly ever play them. I’m so much happier playing on  a 24.75” scale angled neck given the choice, Fenders just aren’t for me
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    elstoof said:
     I’m so much happier playing on  a 24.75” scale angled neck given the choice, Fenders just aren’t for me
    Weird isn't it?  Despite owning a Gibson, they aren't for me either!  Just goes to prove how different everyone is when it comes to what feels 'right' for them.
  • Thanks. The only thing that I want in the world now is a proper Fender Telecaster. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    I recently got a Schecter PT Special:

Fixes the main problems with Teles - the biggest one being the control plate layout.

The forearm carve is an improvement over the traditional Fender as well.

My Fender Japan Tele is now gone as I much prefer this.

While this does have some refinements, it does have a proper bridge and proper bridge pickup.  That is essential to the Tele tone, as others have said above.

It does come in other colours if you don't like that sunburst.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter