Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). School me on Telecasters.... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

School me on Telecasters....

What's Hot
Having previously posted a 'WTB' for a specific non-Fender Tele (PJE), I am still on a quest 

The issue is that I am keen to get a Tele (having been persuaded by a friend to go down this route) but I have never got along with Fender offerings (I appreciate the problem might be me) and I don't really know what else is out there 

So what should I be looking at? I don't want to spend 'silly' money but I don't need something super cheap either. I am guessing things in the ballpark of non-custom shop USA Fenders would be fine 

I would ideally like a nitro finish and potentially some off piste pickup options (e.g. P90, Charlie Christian) 

I wouldn't have the skill or time to go down the partscaster route 

thanks in advance 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Erm...Fender Roadworn, it's nitrol body (i think lacquered but sanded down neck)

Pickup wise, it depends, some even has Custom Shop pickups.

That would be quite easy to find, and cheaper than Fender USA.

Spec wise to look out for, maple or Rosewood board, brass or SS saddles, 3 or 6 bridges, regular or compensated saddles.

There isn't much really to change, some other brands might have a comfort carve but that's about it really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Best one I had was a CS one, frustratingly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • For me a Telecaster is the ultimate blank canvas. It's so basic that you can build it out into whatever you want.

For me there is only one unique thing about the Telecaster which actually makes it a Tele and that's the bridge and the bridge pickup (OK that's two things, but they come as a unit). They give that unique sound that only that combination can make. If you want that sound, you need to start there. If you're not bothered about that particular sound, you can just make your own guitar up.

I've always loved Teles, ever since I saw early live clips of Quo, but in the end, I realised I loved the "slab" look rather than the sound itself, so I got mine made with the neck profile I wanted, the pickups I wanted (two tappable P90s) and the finish I wanted (nitro blonde with a black scratchplate).

So...do you want the iconic bridge sound of the Tele, or do you want it look like a Tele but have it sound the way you want it?

Start there...
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

I Have a large number of Teles from CS to MIM and a number of builds

the best bang per buck with a "Fender" decal is the older MIM Road Worn with nitro finish. Honestly, the '50s RW one I have from 2014 has the best feeling and playing '50s style neck I've ever tried, outside of custom shop. It's a real gem.

You might like this one with a P90 based on you notes. MIM quality is good, but you still might need to get a top set-up for best performance.
    https://reverb.com/uk/p/fender-fsr-limited-edition-classic-series-50s-telecaster-p90

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    I've got a GSP parts build with a nitro body courtesy of @GoldenEraGuitars. I'd agree that the defining feature of a Tele is the bridge and bridge pickup, so I've got that, but then a Firebird pickup in the neck, which I love.

I don't play it though, and I've got too many guitars, so it's for sale. I think I've decided not so much that Teles aren't for me, more that other guitars are more for me. 

So if you're nearby and want to try mine, you're welcome to do so. But I'd definitely recommend the Tele bridge/Firebird neck pickup combo as something that made the Tele format more enjoyable for someone who hasn't always got on with Teles.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EvansDrDEvansDrD Frets: 71
    edited October 2023
    Thanks all

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear.  

I don’t need it be a classic or pure Tele. I like the slab, simplicity and scale length 

I do like the brass bridge; I don’t care about the bridge pickup 

But I’ve never really got on with anything that Fender makes 

So who are making the T-style alternatives?

And a couple of people have mentioned having one made…
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    I’ve owned literally hundreds of teles from Mexican to American to custom shop to boutique. The best teles are made by Fender and their best are custom shop.
    If I really really didn’t want a Fender and wanted something more modern, I’d go Eggle unless you could find a Danocaster, but if you don’t like what Fender do, then a tele probably isn’t for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    I wouldn't buy a guitar because a friend has persuaded you. If your not keen on the Fender offerings then maybe the Tele
      isn't for you ! I would just go to a well stocked shop and try out various guitars until you find something you feel comfortable 
      with. I do have a MIM tele and it's good I also have a Fender Anniversary and it is so much better.
      If it has to be a Tel I would say try the new USA Vintage II Tele guitars. Good luck
  • Ok, right, so try a wider range of Fender. Got it. 

It isn’t that my friend has persuaded me so much as he makes a good case. I am happy with this 

But is there no alternative here?

if somebody said ‘Strat’…there’s PRS silver sky 

if somebody said ‘335’…I’d say ‘Yamaha SA2200 or Ibanez AS2000 - and don’t look back

But it seems that with Teles, it’s Fender? 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    you cant beat a USA standard tbh. I love late 80s fenders, just after corona plant opened so needed to impress and bargains for what they are today. Often ready reliced, worn in neck and likely to go up in value (as the custom shop big boys were the ones who made these) and of course the age metric and better imho than the 70s guitars.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • EsoterickEsoterick Frets: 2
    edited October 2023
    EvansDrD said:
    Ok, right, so try a wider range of Fender. Got it. 

It isn’t that my friend has persuaded me so much as he makes a good case. I am happy with this 

if somebody said ‘335’…I’d say ‘Yamaha SA2200 or Ibanez AS2000 - and don’t look back

You could look at the G&L ASAT series or Schecter PT series. I don't think they have nitro finishes, at least the ones I've seen don't.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    edited October 2023
    Depends why you are looking at tele's. 

For most people it is because they want that signature tele twang. Yes theyre versatile but they still have their own sound. For that, a proper Fender Tele is the route. 

If you're just looking for single cut slab bodied guitars then I'm sure there are other options.. I favour metal so obviously what I know is biased to that. 

Esp/Ltd do the TE range. 
    Schecter do the PT. 
    Prs do the Myles Kennedy or NF - both around £3k though. 
    Fender do a Jim Root signature that is a Tele shape
    but not. 
    Chapman ML3. 
    FGN do the J Standard. 
    Maybach Teleman T54
    Ibanez have numerous under different model
    names. 

Nitro finish will probably not be available on any of those though. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    edited October 2023
    I think you’re not getting the answer you want because you’re not really looking for a Telecaster. You want a slab body guitar with a variety of pickups. Just because it may be vaguely single cut doesn’t make it a telecaster. 

There are a ton of slab body guitars you can look at. Trent, Harmony, Chapman, amongst others. If you want a telecaster you want that bridge and pickup combo, as another poster said. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited October 2023
    Serisous question - when you say you "don't get on with Fenders" - in what way? 

Is it the pickups? The look? the feel? Something else? 

There are plenty of T-shaped instruments from other makers - G&L, Suhr, Anderson, PRS (if you squint!), Schecter, Danocaster, MB, Nash, etc that each have something different that separates them from Fender's own. It could also be that a different type of Tele from Fender would make you happy - Custom, Deluxe, Thinline, Offset, Parallel Universe Jazz Tele, Troublemaker, Nashville, Cabronita, etc etc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    OK,  erm  they look horrible,  have a horrible bridge,  probably sound horrible, and look horrible.  YMMV.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    If I didn’t want Fender then I’d probably be looking at FGN or Schecter. For the more spendy stuff then Maybach or Suhr.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Thank you - this is all really helpful. And thanks for your patience with my not having formulated my question properly 
  • Serisous question - when you say you "don't get on with Fenders" - in what way? 

There are plenty of T-shaped instruments from other makers - G&L, Suhr, Anderson, PRS (if you squint!), Schecter, Danocaster, MB, Nash, etc that each have something different that separates them from Fender's own. It could also be that a different type of Tele from Fender would make you happy - Custom, Deluxe, Thinline, Offset, Parallel Universe Jazz Tele, Troublemaker, Nashville, Cabronita, etc etc

Good question

I haven’t had many and so my judgement isn’t really fair 

Generally it was the lack of nitro, the electronics, and actually the weight 

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    EvansDrD said:
    Ok, right, so try a wider range of Fender. Got it. 

Schecter teles are pretty good in my opinion, I prefer and own a fender but if I had to choose a different brand Schecter are worth a look.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Best ones I’ve had have always been Custom Shop. And if you want a proper Tele, why bother with P90, Charlie Christian, humbuckers etc, just get a Tele! 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    EvansDrD said:

Good question

Ok, that’s a good start. 

So from Fender the American Vintage II and Roadworn guitars currently get you into a nitro finish. Likewise the previous American Original series, which we great. 

But you might find a custom build actually suits you, if you know what you want. I just built a 59-style ash-bodied Tele with MJT’s help. Neck to my spec, pickups of my choice and zero compromise on the rest. Came in for way below Fender CS money and I’ve got a spectacular Tele that is up there with my Danocaster for quality. The only reason I’d hesitate for you is that you aren’t quite clear what you want, and that’s the one thing that gets you into trouble on a custom build 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    Jesus....just don't bother. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EvansDrD said:

Good question

Ok, that’s a good start. 

So from Fender the American Vintage II and Roadworn guitars currently get you into a nitro finish. Likewise the previous American Original series, which we great. 

But you might find a custom build actually suits you, if you know what you want. I just built a 59-style ash-bodied Tele with MJT’s help. Neck to my spec, pickups of my choice and zero compromise on the rest. Came in for way below Fender CS money and I’ve got a spectacular Tele that is up there with my Danocaster for quality. The only reason I’d hesitate for you is that you aren’t quite clear what you want, and that’s the one thing that gets you into trouble on a custom build 
    EvansDrD said:

Good question

Ok, that’s a good start. 

Thank you! This nails it. Really helpful 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I’ve had a fair few Teles but my current one is my favourite; an ‘8502’ from 2003.

It was sold as a modern vintage, so has a fat neck, but with a 9.5 radius, 6 brass saddles and steel bridge plate. I hated the extremely thick poly finish so it’s now sporting a lovely shade of see through honey blonde which shows off the ash grain nicely. Weighs less than 8lb, which I feel is important in a Tele with the slab body or they just feel uncomfortable to me.

Pickups are absolutely amazing and exclusive to this model. Fender reportedly made less than 2000 of them between 03 and 07, they’re only available in honey blonde or 2 colour sunburst. Easiest way to spot one is the 50’s spaghetti logo located behind the round string tree. I’d be embarrassed to tell you how much I paid for it but let’s just say the guy priced it comparably to a Baja.

I love the roadworns too, in fact I love all Teles pretty much.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    Esp/Ltd do the TE range. 
    Schecter do the PT. 
    Prs do the Myles Kennedy or NF - both around £3k though. 
    Fender do a Jim Root signature that is a Tele shape
    but not. 
    Chapman ML3. 
    FGN do the J Standard. 
    Maybach Teleman T54
    Ibanez have numerous under different model
    names. 

Nitro finish will probably not be available on any of those though.
    You will get nitro on a Maybach, FYI @EvansDrD , and the T52 'Keith' variants have a humbucker in the neck position, although I don't know if that counts as an 'off-piste' choice.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Fender Brad Paisley .
    nothing more needs to be said .
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Schecter PT. Or build your own. I did, despite being an ignorant. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The guitarist in my band has three… a partscaster with DiMarzio Super Distortions (with a proper HB cutout bridge), a Fender Mexican Thinline with a DiMarzio Chopper T in the bridge, and a Baja with the 4-way/S1 switching taken out, so basically a stock Tele - they all sound great, and all like Teles, even the DiMarzio SDs when coil split. The 2HB one is especially versatile.

I do think the metal bridge/pickup mount is critical to it really being a Tele - without that it’s just a generic guitar shaped like one, but if that’s what you want then they still work fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Suhr Classic T and if it has to be nitro an Antique finish.
    There is an Alt T in the classifieds which is a very versatile guitar but you would struggle to get Roy Buchanan's tone. 

The only guitar I regret selling is a Tom Anderson T.

• enjoenjo Frets: 201
    I love my MIJ Fender TL-52 for two main reasons:
    1. Slightly more rounded edges on the body - makes a massive difference to comfort.
    2. It's super light (under 7lbs) - I like light guitars. The weights vary quite a bit on most models.